Revell 1/48 Dornier Do-217E-4

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
DerekF

Revell 1/48 Dornier Do-217E-4

Post by DerekF »

I've had this one in my stash for ages. Built for a few reasons. 1) the box is massive and in a Revell fashion, collapsing under it's own weight and 2) my first attempt with my Iwata airbrush set-up.
It has been a massive learning experience and I know it isn't perfect but I know largely where I went wrong.

Paint thickness is very import as is accurate and secure masking.
German WW2 mottle finishes are difficult.
I should have put the glazing in place first then masked, not added it last etc. etc.

Anyway, it's a lovely kit and quite big when finished. The only bit I had diffulty in was getting the right place for the pilot's armoured seat.
I used Xtracrylix RLM65 on the underside which sprayed beautifully. The green top surfaces were Vallejo RLM72 and 73. The difference is very subtle. The mottle was RLM02 again from Vallejo.
I then sprayed the top in gloss varnish, applied decals then sprayed Vallejo matt varnish which gave a very nice finish.

Now on to that stash of Fw190s, Bf109s and Me110s :smile: I think an Me262 or Fw190D next.
Last edited by DerekF on Sun 04 Jun 2017, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

binbrook87

Re: Revell 1/48 Dornier Do-217E-4

Post by binbrook87 »

Looks great Derek. :up: Have you ditched the hairy stick then?

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

Looking good Derek. Which brush did you go for?

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

binbrook87 wrote:Looks great Derek. :up: Have you ditched the hairy stick then?

Thanks for that. No, I haven't stopped brush painting its just I have lots of WW2 Lufwaffe models and large 1/72 scale bombers that would be tricky to paint without an airbrush. I'm just finding that when brush painting you have 5 minutes masking to one hours paintiing, its now one hour's masking to 2 minutes paintiing and 10 minutes cleaning up.

Jamesv9820 wrote:Looking good Derek. Which brush did you go for?

Thanks James. I went for the Iwata Revolution CR and a Sparmax TC-610H compressor. I also got one those portable spray booth things which is excellent.

I think I tried to run before I could walk. The next one I'll take a step back and try a simpler scheme.

Craig

Post by Craig »

Great job and a lot better than my first effort! Good choice on the Revolution CR though I have one too and It's a superb bit of kit.

NIGHTFIGHTER

Post by NIGHTFIGHTER »

Great model, I went the other way last week, tried spraying 1/32 spitfire only to find couldn't get the camo right, so went back to the good old paint brush...Trial and error as always!! :facepalm: