Xtracolour Gloss Varnish

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
scotthldr

Xtracolour Gloss Varnish

Post by scotthldr »

Have just noticed that my Xtracolor enamel Gloss varnish XDGG is actually labelled Xtracrllic acrylic Gloss varnish also XDGG ? Now has this always been the case as I'm experiencing trouble thinning it own for spraying. I have been using this stuff for years on loads of kits without any trouble until now. I'm thinning it down with white spirit as I always did but it just won't mix, it keeps separating before I can even get the jar screwed onto the airbrush. So I tired using Revell Colourmix with the same results. Maybe it's a bad batch? anyone else had the same problems. Have also noticed that Xtracolor Flat and Satin varnishes are listed as Enamel and it's only the Gloss thats listed as Acrylic :confused: So if I do managed to get it sprayed on, when I go to Flat coat will the Enamel react to the Acrylic(I think it will). As said above have used all the varnishes before without trouble but I'm sure that the Gloss was enamel back then :confused: :confused:

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Re: Xtracolour Gloss Varnish

Post by Ben H »

I have the Xtracrylic Flat varnish, and it thins fine with water. I assume that the satin and gloss varnishes are the same?

Ben :smile:

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

Random wrote:I have the Xtracrylic Flat varnish, and it thins fine with water. I assume that the satin and gloss varnishes are the same?

Ben :smile:

Whats the code of your Flat varnish as the one I have is XDFF and that's labeled as Enamel?

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

It's outside in the shed; I'll check in the morning :smile:

But it is identical to this:

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that's not the one I have, getting more confused :confused:

SpitfireSteve

Post by SpitfireSteve »

Xtracolor is an enamel based varnish and Xtracrylic is well, Acrylic. You should be able to tell whats in the bottle by the smell , the enamel one is quite potent and the other is very little odour at all. Both are great coats though. However, with the gloss Xtracrylic I found it airbrushes better when thinned with Iso Alcohol about 50/50 and build up in thin coats.
Steve

http://www.avrovulcan.com

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

[quote="SpitfireSteve"]Xtracolor is an enamel based varnish and Xtracrylic is well, Acrylic.

Well it turns out to be that Xrtracolor Gloss varnish XDGG is actually Acrylic. Why this is I don't know and neither do Hannants :confused: Xtracrylic also do a Gloss varnish as XA1G. Still doesn't explain why my lot wouldn't thin with Thinners, White Spirit or Water so I binned the crap and used Humbrol Gloss varnish instead.

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

Sorry about the late relpy, just to clear up my varnish shown in the picture above is entitled 'XAFF'.

Ben