Tiger Club Invades Gatwick - UPDATE 3

Photos of light aircraft, gliders, helicopters and anything that isn't commercial
121decimal5

Re: Tiger Club Invades Gatwick - UPDATE 3

Post by 121decimal5 »

Lomcevak26 wrote:In the shots where the aircraft are over the Surrey countryside, the impact's pretty stunning.

Possibly even East Sussex :smile:

FOTO4

Re: Tiger Club Invades Gatwick - UPDATE 2

Post by FOTO4 »

Boghopper Mk 11a wrote:Is that the Kynsey / Walker team double winger near the rear of the formation?

No it wasn't Pete Kynsey and Anna Walker.

EMarsh

Re: Tiger Club Invades Gatwick - UPDATE 2

Post by EMarsh »

FOTO4 wrote:
Boghopper Mk 11a wrote:Is that the Kynsey / Walker team double winger near the rear of the formation?

No it wasn't Pete Kynsey and Anna Walker.

One of the Pickins?

Lovely photos. What an experience! :cool:

FOTO4

Post by FOTO4 »

Elliott, both of them, Richard and Michael.

JAB

Post by JAB »

121decimal5 wrote:
Lomcevak26 wrote:In the shots where the aircraft are over the Surrey countryside, the impact's pretty stunning.

Possibly even East Sussex :smile:

Or west sussex :wink:
Supporting WZ507.

The Americans claim victory right at the end.
As ever.

FOTO4

Post by FOTO4 »

Many thanks for your comments.

wellingflyer

Post by wellingflyer »

Hi Richard - this must be the most visited GA set of photos ever. :clap:
Did the team get over Gatwick yesterday Sunday ?

121decimal5

Post by 121decimal5 »

Gatwick proved a popular light aircraft destination over the weekend, some of the guys from Biggin over flew it on Sunday, albeit not in a 14 ship formation.
What has the Tiger Club started?

FOTO4

Post by FOTO4 »

No they didn't Nick, however there were a few individual aircraft from Headcorn that did the Gatwick flypast.
There were also a couple of Twisters flying through.

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

Nice to see video from flight on GMTV this morning.
Be nice to see the whole video?

Christian
Lakes Lightning Collection

FOTO4

Post by FOTO4 »

chrisward123 wrote:Nice to see video from flight on GMTV this morning.
Be nice to see the whole video?

Christian

Its a pity they didn't use more, it maybe possible to download more to the video section of the forum.

Caravelle

Post by Caravelle »

As someone who rushed out of my house to catch shots of the flypast from ground level (Surrey ground), and got nothing much but silhouettes as I was facing South, I'm very pleased to see these photos. Being co-owner of the "Original Gatwick Spotters' List" on GoogleGroups I can tell you that the flypast was much enjoyed by those of us who got the chance to see it. I sent out an e-mail to the group as soon as the lead aircraft called Gatwick ATC, by which time it was too late for anyone not already in the right place to grab their cameras and get close enough, but never mind, at least they could see it. We also later posted the URL to this thread to our list of nearly 1100 members, which must have added to the number of hits.

We had light aircraft buzzing around all weekend until Monday afternoon when the new airport authority made the rather strange decision to listen to complaints :mad: about aircraft noise and put a stop to it :loser: . Irrational, or what? Helpful ATC came up with a partial solution which was freedom to fly anywhere between 2,000 and 2,400 feet, and if that corresponded with the runway heading, well, what a coincidence. Most of our visitors were the usual Cherokees and Cessnas, but some more interesting types included the Twisters already mentioned, a Slingsby Venture, some Flight Design types, a Dyn Aero MCR Club, several Austers and Cubs, RV-6s, Europas, Ikarus C42, a VariEze, a Sportcruiser, a Yak-12, a Gipsy Moth and Terrier together, Jabirus, a G.109 some microlights and an Autogyro. It certainly taxed my 1965-honed recognition skills!

I have a couple of questions. I'm sure when the lead aircraft first called Gatwick :music: , he said there were 14 aircraft. Did you lose one or was it 13 all along? And does that include the camera ship? I could only get 12 into shot at any one time and lost track of the straggler(s).

Photos taken by one of our members near Rusper combined with the photos here give us the following aircraft:
Tiger Moth: G-ACDC, G-ADGT, G-AMTF/T7842
Turbulent: G-APVZ, G-ARGZ or is it G-ARBZ?, G-ARMZ
Stampe: G-AWEF, G-AYIJ, G-APLM
Jungmann: G-BTDZ
Pulsar: G-BTWY
red tiddler tentatively identified as Bushby Midget Mustang G-MIDG
And in my photos there seems to be something like a Cub above and behind - the camera ship?
That would make a grand total of 13. Can you confirm, please, including the registrations, especially the unidentified camera ship? If there were 13 + camera ship then we are one missing.

Many thanks

Caravelle

FOTO4

Post by FOTO4 »

Thank you for your interest, yes there were thirteen aircraft including the camera ship.
The intention was for fourteen but one failed to start in time.
The registrations are,
Tiger Moths G-ACDC, G-ADGT, G-AMTF T7842

Turbs G-ARBZ, G-ARMZ, G-APVZ

Stampes G-AWEF, G-AYIJ, G-BPLM

Jungmann G-BTDZ

Pulsar G-BTWY

Midget Mustang G-MIDG

Camera Ship, Super Cub G-SUPA

My thanks to Dave for his precise flying of the camera ship, making these historic images possible,

Dave,

Caravelle

Post by Caravelle »

Thank you so much. You have saved much head-scratching, and the end result even agrees with the best guesses a couple of us had reached earlier this evening. I discovered the Cub in one of my own distant photos and it seemed to have a reddish tinge which pointed to G-SUPA. We like to keep track of everything which passes this way, and a special formation like yours deserves to be fully documented. Doubtless you'll be featured in the Gatwick Aviation Society's "Hawkeye" magazine too, though sadly they don't run to illustrations - they may well publish the URL to this thread though.

Many thanks again. Being avid aviation enthusiasts we are all used to the sight of this kind of formation, but usually have to drive a long way and queue forever to see them. Having one come to us is a rare treat.

:worship:

Caravelle

FOTO4

Post by FOTO4 »

Pleased that I could help

FOTO4

Post by FOTO4 »

Feature in July Flyer if interested.