Scone - catching up on the past week

Photos of light aircraft, gliders, helicopters and anything that isn't commercial
wallace

Scone - catching up on the past week

Post by wallace »

This turned out to be a busy week, a painful one as I am still off work with sciatic pain, which is not much fun. Anyway a call from a friend saying that there was a large blue and white float plane at Scone was enough to tempt me off my back and into the car for some much needed photo-therapy.

It seems that the Mighty 208, yes I'm old enough to remember Radio Luxemburg :) had arrived with a main wheel problem, which meant the a float had to be jacked up for a wheel change. The apron slope made worse by the aircraft being jacked up on one side.
ImageG-DLAK Ce208, Scone by wwshack, on Flickr
Job done the 208 departed. This one was very quickly composed and one that I am pleased about, the inclusion of the spectator gives it a sense of scale as this is a large plane made even larger by the floats.
Interesting one this, if you look closely on the tree line just after the propeller you can see where the heat of the exhaust has been chopped by the prop. This is the first time that I have seen this on a gas turbine powered aircraft.
I'm making no excuses for these photos, I have not had a chance to photograph David Cyster's Tiger Moth in a long while, so I made the most of what I got. David had arrived at Scone to re-validate his display pilots authorisation, so we were treated to a small flying display later in the day.
ImageG-ANRF Tiger Moth, Scone by wwshack, on Flickr
He was a little embarrassed about the condition of the Moth but I think it shows a nice patina
Small plane, big sky. The towering thunder clouds made for a impressive backdrop on the photos.
Low angle photography - Justin's Europa
ImageG-ZTED Europa, Scone by wwshack, on Flickr

The next day I was invited along to take some photos of the Virgin balloon and ended up going along for the ride as non-jetisonable self-loading ballast. In retrospect it was a bad idea going along for the flight my the back pain became excruciating towards the end of the flight.
Nadine, a fellow photographer and a professional one at, that got some inside photos of the envelope. I have been in there myself and yes, you do feel the heat from there.
ImageNadiine's inferno by wwshack, on Flickr
The scrape marks were made the previous day by the Tiger Moths' tail skid.
ImageFoo o' tepid air by wwshack, on Flickr
Up, up and away...
ImageCasting a shadow on Scone by wwshack, on Flickr
Martin doing what he does best
ImageThe pilot piloting. by wwshack, on Flickr

The full set of photos can be seen on my Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/wwshack/

jonny7

Re: Scone - catching up on the past week

Post by jonny7 »

Those are lovely shots :smile: .The clouds look good as a backdrop and the balloon shots are just ace. I didn't know Billy Connolly was a balloon pilot in his spare time . :clap:
The shots generate a feel of a good day in the fresh air and a nice way to enjoy some time with your camera recording it...cheers... :smile: :up:(shame your back got bad, maybe the cold air!)
Don't say something crass, to hide your envy. Just give credit, when its applicable...

colper

Post by colper »

Superb set Wallace.Great composition.lovely angles and good lighting.Love the 208 and the Tiger Moth

Colin
Last edited by colper on Sun 18 May 2014, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ikarus

Post by ikarus »

Crikey .................thos photo's are superb :clap: Well composed and dramatic in some respects

FastJetsBest

Post by FastJetsBest »

Stunning, great shots looks like a great day. Agree about the clouds in the backdrop. Like the top view of the aircraft on ground. :clap:

Lumix

Post by Lumix »

Cracking set of photos, Wallace! :clap: