Sleap Airfield

Photos of light aircraft, gliders, helicopters and anything that isn't commercial
JoeRuscoe

Sleap Airfield

Post by JoeRuscoe »

With Sleap Airfield only being 10 minutes up the road for me, I spend alot of time there on weekends and on the occasional weekday taking pictures. As much as I enjoy military aviation, for the past 3-4 years I have been really into general aviation.

I have been very lucky at Sleap with having flights in all sorts of aircraft such as a Yak 11, Piper J-3 Cub, Cessna 182 & 152, Jodel D120 and many more.

Here are a few pictures from the past I have taken at Sleap Airfield, hope you like them! :)

ImageSleap Airfield 10.03.15 by JoeRuscoe95, on Flickr

ImageSleap Airfield 10.03.15 by JoeRuscoe95, on Flickr

ImageSleap Airfield 27.02.15 by JoeRuscoe95, on Flickr

ImageGeneral Aviation by JoeRuscoe95, on Flickr

9. Private Grass Strip just outside of Shawbury...

And last but not least, a mugshot of me with one of the Yakovlevs Aerobatic Display Teams Yak 50's parked up at the pumps! :)

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Re: Sleap Airfield

Post by Ledhead27 »

Good to see a healthy variety of aircraft at your local airfield, Hurricane looks particularly well-framed! Thanks for sharing
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Timc

Post by Timc »

Some very nice shots there Joe, certainly gets a fair amount of interesting aircraft from time to time.

Didn't a Gloster Meteor refuel there last year?

Sleap, pronounced "Slape" is a bit of a hidden gem within the glorious countryside of Shropshire. It has quite an interesting WWII past too, having trained both Bomber Command Wellington and Horsa Glider pilots in the lead-up to D-Day.

Also currently home to the Wartime Aircraft Recovery Group Museum which houses an array of artefacts dug from the surrounding area and beyond.

JoeRuscoe

Post by JoeRuscoe »

Thanks both!

It was a Vampire which came in to refuel Tim, close though! My friend who let me know about it told me it was a Jet Provost :lol: The Vampire is bound to make another pitt stop at Sleap again this year I'm sure. He'll use Sleap to refuel when en route to Rhyl Airshow and Portrush over in northern Ireland.

On a nice summers day, Sleap is a brilliant place to visit with a wide variety of visitors and all the locals out to, you get to see some right weird and whacky things out along with some nice classic / ex mil aircraft too. Before now i've seen over 30 aircraft on the ground at Sleap on a nice summers day! :P

FastJetsBest

Post by FastJetsBest »

Great set, love seeing aircraft from different airfields. Thanks for posting :smile: