Biggin Hill Look out Cafe

Photos of light aircraft, gliders, helicopters and anything that isn't commercial
Black Projects

Biggin Hill Look out Cafe

Post by Black Projects »

A new Spot for People out to watch the Planes at Biggin Hill is near the site of the old Cafe

Bridge Camera

The View across to the Tower

The Heat Haze is very Fierce

Single seater Spitfire going out for a quick check flight after the other one Had it"s Problem which i missed

No photos are allowed inside the Cafe Building

Same one taxiing up 11

G-EHMS Climbing of 21

Police Heli

Landing traffic heat haze is bad

Departing traffic of 21

Black Projects

Re: Biggin Hill Look out Cafe

Post by Black Projects »

The Photos were mainly taken through a fence or above it apart from Helimed which was lifting whilst i was walking past 03 End and Police heli in same spot .

My Bridge camera zooms to just over 500mm and needs all of it to get big biz jets for smaller machines people may need more .

A Flying school is located beside the Cafe and there ramp is located out side the Fence Making taking 03 departure photos hard if machines are on the ramp.

:ninja:

I will go tomorrow to get some more as only a 10 minute bus ride from home.

2 out Side the Hangar along side the Cafe as seen from the road.

Biz ramp near the tower

Heat haze is a Killer for the Tower ramps

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Thanks for posting that, been interested to see what this new spot is like. Due to its lack of accessibility (well officially at least) I have been avoiding Biggin for years, unless passing. Oh for the old day (late 1990's) when you could park by the tower and walk the fence (then they build that noise bank) and you were free to roam the rest of the airfield.

Black Projects

Post by Black Projects »

The Cafe is open Mon to Fri 7.30 to 16.30; weekends & Bank hols 8.30 to 16.30 so most of the traffic departing in the Morning can be seen with out a problem.

It is Located along side the EFG Flying school and there Ramp is along side the Grass area. :ninja:

A PC-12 taxiing towards the Tower

OE-EGO

PR-SFB DA 2000 Taxiing up 11/29 it is now over on the Tower Apron.

If you are not a car Driver or you are on Foot and want to reach biggin Hill.

It is far quicker Nowadays just Take the Tram to New Addington and then the 464 Bus to The Top of Salt box Hill
and get off and walk along to the Cafe.

A Couple of Bits of Stack traffic from the Grass Enclosure.

BA 744

BA 773

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

Yeah, thanks for the info Black Projects, looks a great spot.

As FB mentioned I have tended not to try too hard at Biggin but will now. Bizarrely enough, one of the things I remember very well from my last visit was the incredible heat haze. I have never quite seen it as bad as that anywhere else.... weird.

Mark.
HTAFC

Black Projects

Post by Black Projects »

At the End of the Runway the Heat Haze is not that Bad but looking across to the Tower it is Terrible With my Bridge camera i can poke the lens through the fence to get Photos at the Runways end i just prop it up on top of the fence me being 6 feet 5 Tall helps a lot. :ninja:

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

Where abouts is the cafe - I googled it but didnt find much - any links?
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

colper

Post by colper »

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

psquiddy wrote:Where abouts is the cafe - I googled it but didnt find much - any links?

the cafe is just inside the main (not tower) entrance , on the left. It is roughly where the much missed 'scrambles' cafe was . Although the new cafe will be better for my health than the old one. I have a few days off in September so may pay a visit for a day?
Rob

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

farnboroughrob wrote:
psquiddy wrote:Where abouts is the cafe - I googled it but didnt find much - any links?

the cafe is just inside the main (not tower) entrance , on the left. It is roughly where the much missed 'scrambles' cafe was . Although the new cafe will be better for my health than the old one. I have a few days off in September so may pay a visit for a day?
Rob

So somewhere near EFG Flying School then?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/London+Biggin+Hill+Airport/@51.3203847,0.0307858,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x47df5510d8c1f107:0xb09723ff0da7aef?hl=en

Black Projects

Post by Black Projects »

The Cafe is rite Beside the EFG Flying school in the other half of the Building and the Garden over looks the EFG Run up (Engines) Ramp

The front of the Biz jet hangar is not visible from the garden but that is visible if you go for a short walk :ninja:

The Small White Building beside the Biz Jet Hangar on the Left of the Hangar

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

Many thanks - I will check it out sometime soon.

Black Projects

Post by Black Projects »

I am wondering if the Cafe will be open on Tuesday if it is i will be in it :ninja:

Flyforfun

Post by Flyforfun »

I did read that the cafe will be open,but not for car parking, i think a better view would be at the end of 21.

Black Projects

Post by Black Projects »

I Stayed home and got some Photos as they took of on 03 which made my life so much easier Landing on 21 was not so good but i hope the dreadful green screening will be removed soon , Is ok for me at 6 feet 5 tall i just look over the top but for other non ladder equipped photogs a night mare :ninja: