Pitts S-2B G-DIII Air to Air

Photos of light aircraft, gliders, helicopters and anything that isn't commercial
Zymurgy661

Pitts S-2B G-DIII Air to Air

Post by Zymurgy661 »

Not sure which section to post these in as technically they were on the way to an airshow but have opted for this section instead.

Once again this year i accompanied Wildcat Aerobatics on the trip from Norfolk to Culdrose. Much easier flying by Pitts, only just over 2 hours flight time as opposed to at least triple that in a car! For this trip i joined Wildcat 2 with Wildcat 1 handling navigation and radio comms all the way down. The outbound trip was quite miserable weather wise which was a shame but the trip back gave a couple of quick photo ops although not great for sun position.

For those that haven't been in a Pitts, it isn't the easiest of platforms to use as an air-to-air camera ship! Minimal room to manoeuvre, curved perspex canopy with multiple reflections and wing rigging meaning just one ideal postiion to obtain shots - looking back over your right shoulder at 45 degrees. But, rude not to get some snaps whilst up in the air. I'm not 100% happy with them and plenty of things i would do different but as this was purely a transit flight rather than planned A-2-A shoot, i'll take them.

ImageWildcat Aerobatics Pitts S-2B G-DIII by Adam Duffield, on Flickr

2. 1/80th probably two slow given the contortion in my body trying to take the shot!

All comments welcomed and appreciated. Hope you enjoy the shots! If you don't follow them already, am sure the team would love a 'like' over on FB - https://www.facebook.com/WildcatAerobatics/?fref=ts

Adam

58Hustler

Re: Pitts S-2B G-DIII Air to Air

Post by 58Hustler »

Eden Centre shot is nice, but last one is definitely best.
Have shot from a Christen Eagle so know how hard this is.Especially to get a shot with no wing or strut in it so well done.
If a man speaks when he is alone in a forest and there are no women around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Timc

Post by Timc »

Very nice indeed!

Would love the opportunity of some Air-to-Air!

Zymurgy661

Post by Zymurgy661 »

58Hustler wrote:Eden Centre shot is nice, but last one is definitely best.
Have shot from a Christen Eagle so know how hard this is.Especially to get a shot with no wing or strut in it so well done.

Wing, strut and rigging - very few places to find a clear shot when shooting forwards!

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

First and last shots are great for me. The Eden Project really is a striking background!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016