Compton Abbas Vintage Fly In 06-08-2016

Photos of light aircraft, gliders, helicopters and anything that isn't commercial
SEMAE

Compton Abbas Vintage Fly In 06-08-2016

Post by SEMAE »

This was quite a pleasant day out and my first time at this airfield situated at the top of a range of picturesque hills some three miles from Shaftesbury in Dorset

My journey too a little longer than expected owing to heavier than normal traffic. Also, when I went down the A303 past Boscombe Down, the other side of the roundabout was chockablock with vehicles no doubt struggling to get past Stonehenge ( that place where it takes longer to build a tunnel than to build a neolithic structure) so I detoured.

Anyway, back to Compton Abbas. The restaurant was packed out so I went without a breakfast.

Next time get there earlier.

On a few of the pictures, Shaftesbury can be seen in the background.

Thanks for looking

Martin Eames

nacl1

Re: Compton Abbas Vintage Fly In 06-08-2016

Post by nacl1 »

A brilliant set of pictures. Looked like an interesting event with some classic types. Especially the BA Swallow, my favourite!

Tiger Starter

Re: Compton Abbas Vintage Fly In 06-08-2016

Post by Tiger Starter »

Hi, Thanks for posting those, that's a nice set of shots and I agree, good one of the BA Swallow as its got such a wide span its a difficult one to frame up. I missed quite a few of these visitors as I was Tiger Moth crewing on the day so thanks for filling some gaps. Next time you visit, and depending where you come down from, it's a lot less busy if you work your way in via Blandford on the Higher Shaftsbury Rd (C13). It's quieter and less of a hill climbing exercise but don't blink and miss the airfield turning through the trees!
All the best. M