Cheltenham Racecourse 17 March

Photos of light aircraft, gliders, helicopters and anything that isn't commercial

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Re: Cheltenham Racecourse 17 March

Post by Ledhead27 »

Nice shots Terry, quite the myriad of types/paint schemes. Seen a few other photos of the heli-area elsewhere, looked like the ground was particularly soft (although the S-92 looks to have coped with it well)
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Leeflyer

Post by Leeflyer »

The ground was very soft and the wind very strong, but the rain held off.

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

Great pics, I was in the best mate enclosure on Friday I was trying to make out what helicopters were up on the hill but it was quite a distance and the beer didn't help. One of the helicopters looked a lot bigger than the rest from where I was standing which would this be ? Thanks.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

You seem to have very good access did you have special permission or can anybody get that close? Did you need a race day ticket?
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Leeflyer

Post by Leeflyer »

The larger helicopter was G-LAWX a Sikorsky S92A

Leeflyer

Post by Leeflyer »

No special permission required, do not enter RaceCourse area. I was a passenger so don't know road numbers but helipad north east of the racecourse.

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog »

Smashing shots Terry!
Tankbuster, there is a public footpath that follows around the Racecourse perimeter - the heliport sits next to it. There is normally a spotters walkround at 1400 once the heliops have stopped. The walkround is operated by the firemen who only ask for a donation to firemens charities but as can be seen the photo opportunities are great. Parking is not available onsite.
If you like helicopters then have a look at my Flickr here; www.flickr.com/photos/111508006@N07/

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Blackdog wrote:Smashing shots Terry!
Tankbuster, there is a public footpath that follows around the Racecourse perimeter - the heliport sits next to it. There is normally a spotters walkround at 1400 once the heliops have stopped. The walkround is operated by the firemen who only ask for a donation to firemens charities but as can be seen the photo opportunities are great. Parking is not available onsite.

Thanks for the info
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Bealie

Post by Bealie »

Blackdog wrote:Smashing shots Terry!

The collection goes to the Midlands air ambulance and also incorporates the collects from the tours at Ascot as well.