Airlander10 at Sunset after 4th flight

Photos of light aircraft, gliders, helicopters and anything that isn't commercial
alisdairanderson

Airlander10 at Sunset after 4th flight

Post by alisdairanderson »

G-PHRG has just landed at 21:30, after several touch-n-go approaches, having flown a 3hr test flight this evening. The sun popped out just at the end, so some nice lighting for the first two of the landings. These picture show the extra 'feet' that are deployed at landing, to help prevent a repeat of the 'bump'.

Cheers
Alisdair

Overhead the famous Cardington Sheds:

First landing, and "go-around"....

Second landing:
Last edited by alisdairanderson on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

hunterxf382

Re: Airlander10 at Sunset after 4th flight

Post by hunterxf382 »

Very nice shots, and that last one really does give an idea of scale! Certainly a head turner.
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

alisdairanderson

And a second batch of photos:

Overflying its home at about 3000ft:

It's a shame this one was in a non-sunny area, as it climbs back out for another practice landing - angle of climb is much higher than I had anticipated, and the angle of the 'thrust vectoring'** on the rear engines can be seen, compared with the other photos. (**, not sure how much thrust it has to vector, but you get the idea!)

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Cracking shots with the shed in the Background. Very well done! :clap:
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Presumably to deter crowds forming they don't publicise the schedule of these test flights and its just a case of turning up and hoping to see something?

alisdairanderson

speedbird2639 wrote:Presumably to deter crowds forming they don't publicise the schedule of these test flights and its just a case of turning up and hoping to see something?

Hi,

There is immense local interest around Airlander, given the history of the Cardington site, and there is a local facebook group which has lots of updates on it - e.g. they posted that the engines were running yesterday at around 1700.

When airborne, the G-PHRG registration does show on Flightradar24, but they are having intermittent problems with this (and it did claim to be flying at 292 knots yesterday!!!)

Hybrid Air Vehicles (owners) do post on social media once it has taken off, but not before hand anymore.

The Police do enforce the yellow-lines, but there is car parking nearby and its a short walk, on the western side of the airfield.

I've seen 3 of the 4 flights, and I have guessed on the weather/wind conditions on these, and got lucky - I have also been down there at 6am thinking they might take off, and found no sign of life, so it is trial and error.... I only live 10 miles away, so its easy for me to do.

The first few flights have been 2-3 hours long; once they get further clearance after more flight testing, the duration will increase and include multi-day flights, over a much wider area - at present, it is within 15 miles of Cardington, and under 4000ft.

Hope this helps....
Alisdair

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Cheers for that very indepth reply Alisdair. I'm abt 60 miles away in North Worcs so I think I'll wait until they are doing longer flights so I have more chance of getting down there before they land again.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Superb images. I'm a member of the Airlander supporters group and get regular updates on facebook and email. I live about 15 miles away and regularly see it parked up outside. I must make the effort next time I see the update to go and see it in the air.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)