2017 Yeovilton Airday

Re: 2017 Yeovilton Airday

Postby Andyperkins on Thu 18 May 2017, 9:51 am

Been a while since there was a Merlin role demo hasn't it? of course we see them in force during the commando assault but looking forward to seeing a solo display :)
Andyperkins

Postby Cyril Dorricott on Thu 18 May 2017, 12:09 pm

Andyperkins wrote:Been a while since there was a Merlin role demo hasn't it? of course we see them in force during the commando assault but looking forward to seeing a solo display :)

There won't be a commando assault this year.
Cyril Dorricott

Postby Andyperkins on Thu 18 May 2017, 12:21 pm

Cyril Dorricott wrote:
Andyperkins wrote:Been a while since there was a Merlin role demo hasn't it? of course we see them in force during the commando assault but looking forward to seeing a solo display :)

Can't tell if you are joking or not :question:
Andyperkins

Postby J.C Photography on Thu 18 May 2017, 12:59 pm

Cyril Dorricott wrote:

Lol okay.
J.C Photography

Postby st24 on Thu 18 May 2017, 5:04 pm

Cyril Dorricott wrote:

Is this for real?? One of the UK airshows seminal events for the past 4 decades? :question:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby J.C Photography on Thu 18 May 2017, 6:12 pm

st24 wrote:
Cyril Dorricott wrote:

Is this for real?? One of the UK airshows seminal events for the past 4 decades? :question:

If he's being serious, I would love to know his source!
J.C Photography

Postby G-CVIX on Thu 18 May 2017, 7:28 pm

It's got more and more depleted in recent years in line with the Navy's resources. That being said, I'd be surprised if there wasnt one, even a reduced size one.
G-CVIX

Postby Andyperkins on Thu 18 May 2017, 7:46 pm

G-CVIX wrote:It's got more and more depleted in recent years in line with the Navy's resources. That being said, I'd be surprised if there wasnt one, even a reduced size one.

I was expecting a repeat of last years but with perhaps a few more Wildcats to replace the retired Lynx, hoping one year they will be able to get the Chinook involved again.
Andyperkins

Postby Jakesplanes on Fri 19 May 2017, 7:13 pm

As cancelling Culdrose was (according to the Navy) entirely due to operations and not finance, i'm assuming it means more airshow budget for Yeovilton. So i wouldn't expect to see a reduction in the show, quite the opposite.
IG profile "jakesplanes"
Jakesplanes

Postby G-CVIX on Fri 19 May 2017, 7:19 pm

Not sure I follow.

No Culdrose doesn't necessarily mean an increased budget for Yeovilton and regardless, "operational reasons" is more than likely an excuse and it seems like they've been trying to can CU as far back as I can remember.

Even if they did have an increased budget that broadly applies only to civilian items, as Yeovilton is a military show. It wouldn't necessarily mean any extra assets would be available for the commando assault, as assets are allocated, rather than bought. Perhaps a few more pyros if anything.

Additionally, the cancellation of culdrose if it is due to operations, could well mean that Yeovilton, though not being cancelled, may also be stretched. In which case, working up a routine for the show might not be feasible.

The above is part guesswork so do correct me if I'm wrong.
G-CVIX

Postby Spotty_Jag on Sat 20 May 2017, 8:36 am

Cyril Dorricott wrote:There won't be a commando assault this year.

Correct. Hard to have the commando assault without any Junglie helicopters. Rumour has it that no (green) Merlins have been permitted to display at the airshow, there will be a sole example on static display.
Spotty_Jag

Postby Paul_Reflex on Sat 20 May 2017, 10:54 am

Spotty_Jag wrote:

Correct. Hard to have the commando assault without any Junglie helicopters. Rumour has it that no (green) Merlins have been permitted to display at the airshow, there will be a sole example on static display.

Any idea what the issue is that prevents the Merlins from flying at the show?
Paul_Reflex

Postby J.C Photography on Sat 20 May 2017, 3:18 pm

Spotty_Jag wrote:

It is slightly worrying how no Junglie Merlins have been confirmed yet, but I hope these rumours aren't true.
J.C Photography

Postby Jakesplanes on Sat 20 May 2017, 5:43 pm

G-CVIX wrote:Not sure I follow.

No Culdrose doesn't necessarily mean an increased budget for Yeovilton and regardless, "operational reasons" is more than likely an excuse and it seems like they've been trying to can CU as far back as I can remember.

Even if they did have an increased budget that broadly applies only to civilian items, as Yeovilton is a military show. It wouldn't necessarily mean any extra assets would be available for the commando assault, as assets are allocated, rather than bought. Perhaps a few more pyros if anything.

Additionally, the cancellation of culdrose if it is due to operations, could well mean that Yeovilton, though not being cancelled, may also be stretched. In which case, working up a routine for the show might not be feasible.

The above is part guesswork so do correct me if I'm wrong.

A budget is a budget. Its quite simple. Money for PR , if not used for a show, in this case Culdrose, would naturally be available for other PR events before being assimilated back into the main budget. I admit, that doesnt necessarily mean VL specifically benefits, but it cant hurt. I also accept that operational needs may affect home support at Yeovilton, but not the shows ability to attract foreign participants.
IG profile "jakesplanes"
Jakesplanes

Postby G-CVIX on Sat 20 May 2017, 7:08 pm

Someone will have to correct me as I may be wrong but my understanding is that assets from NATO countries are not paid for by a military airshow. Yeovilton is a military airshow and therefore your assumption that any hypothetical budget increase could be put towards "buying" military aircraft participation is wrong. Hence assets are assigned by operators rather than "hired".

Therefore even if Yeovilton did have a greater budget due to there being no Culdrose (I think it's doubtful it would anyway) it would have no bearing on the commando assault and other military participation because said aircraft are assigned, not bought.

Plus, you assume that the money for Culdrose was in the budget in the first place, when we all "knew" a long long time before it was official that there would be a high chance of no Culdrose. It seems much more likely that they knew when they set the budget that there would be no airshow at Culdrose and that money would never have been put aside for it.
G-CVIX

Postby john001 on Sat 20 May 2017, 7:36 pm

Jakesplanes wrote:A budget is a budget. Its quite simple. Money for PR , if not used for a show, in this case Culdrose, would naturally be available for other PR events before being assimilated back into the main budget.

Any show like this is likely to have a number of budget holders contributing to the event. Plus if you are asked to reduce your budget, as its quite likely these days, there is no money to go back into any 'main budget'.
john001

Postby Jakesplanes on Sat 20 May 2017, 8:35 pm

G-CVIX wrote:Someone will have to correct me as I may be wrong but my understanding is that assets from NATO countries are not paid for by a military airshow. Yeovilton is a military airshow and therefore your assumption that any hypothetical budget increase could be put towards "buying" military aircraft participation is wrong. Hence assets are assigned by operators rather than "hired".

Therefore even if Yeovilton did have a greater budget due to there being no Culdrose (I think it's doubtful it would anyway) it would have no bearing on the commando assault and other military participation because said aircraft are assigned, not bought.

Plus, you assume that the money for Culdrose was in the budget in the first place, when we all "knew" a long long time before it was official that there would be a high chance of no Culdrose. It seems much more likely that they knew when they set the budget that there would be no airshow at Culdrose and that money would never have been put aside for it.

No one is suggesting the budget goes toward buying foreign military appearances, but not all acts booked are military, many are private. Also more budget means the ability to devote more time by more staff on making a show bigger and better. As i know you know, theres a lot more going on than one guy on the phone calling display teams up :smile:
But your point about Culdrose having been decided long ago by the brass, I'm sure you are correct. Guess we'll never know for sure on that one.
Anyways, its interesting to discuss. I'm sure we're all hopeful of a great show and appreciate the effort being put in by all involved.
IG profile "jakesplanes"
Jakesplanes

Postby Jakesplanes on Sat 20 May 2017, 8:39 pm

john001 wrote:
Jakesplanes wrote:A budget is a budget. Its quite simple. Money for PR , if not used for a show, in this case Culdrose, would naturally be available for other PR events before being assimilated back into the main budget.

Any show like this is likely to have a number of budget holders contributing to the event. Plus if you are asked to reduce your budget, as its quite likely these days, there is no money to go back into any 'main budget'.

Quite right! But Culdrose was at least outwardly cancelled for operational reasons, not finances. But who knows really! :smile: not anyone on this forum, i bet! Its a shame to lose it, it was a great little show. Id feel better if it meant at least a little extra Sheen to the main Navy show.
IG profile "jakesplanes"
Jakesplanes

Postby G-CVIX on Sun 21 May 2017, 4:45 am

Anyways, its interesting to discuss. I'm sure we're all hopeful of a great show and appreciate the effort being put in by all involved.

Agreed!
G-CVIX

Postby Bedsvulcan on Sun 21 May 2017, 6:50 am

Interesting reading over budgets but ref commando assault on the yeovilton twitter their was someone asking about junglies and response a few days ago was ,theirs still time ...
Bedsvulcan

Postby Seamus on Mon 22 May 2017, 12:13 pm

Both Martin Baker Meteors to appear in the static park. Lovely :cool:
My shots on Flickr and Airliners
Seamus

Postby The Baron on Mon 22 May 2017, 12:39 pm

Nice! Looking forward to seeing them!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby Jakesplanes on Mon 22 May 2017, 1:10 pm

Thats Fantastic!!!!!!! Worth going to arrivals day for those bad boys!!!!
IG profile "jakesplanes"
Jakesplanes

Postby capercaillie on Mon 22 May 2017, 1:16 pm

Jakesplanes wrote:Thats Fantastic!!!!!!! Worth going to arrivals day for those bad boys!!!!

Yes, the gangsta aircraft of the jet fighter world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby Wissam24 on Mon 22 May 2017, 2:46 pm

Cracking addition!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

PreviousNext

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days