2017 Yeovilton Airday

Re: 2017 Yeovilton Airday

Postby Seamus on Sun 09 Jul 2017, 8:57 pm

Tiger Rafale is number 36.
My shots on Flickr and Airliners
Seamus

Postby cg_341 on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 9:17 am

Wissam24 wrote:Otherwise a very good show that belied the embarrassing home team supply. Review to follow.

Embarrasing? What would you have liked them to use for a commando assault demo, Airfix kits?
cg_341

Postby The Star of Woo on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 10:28 am

Thanks ever so for the number of the Tiger Rafale, where on earth was it hiding please?
The Star of Woo

Postby cg_341 on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 10:42 am

Inside the canopy rail from memory!
cg_341

Postby Harvo266 on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 12:50 pm

Wissam24 wrote:Those around me will bear testament to how angry I was when Red Ten spoilt the Lions result. I'd gone to quite a lot of effort to avoid having it spoilt before getting home.

Otherwise a very good show that belied the embarrassing home team supply. Review to follow.

Yes, how embarrassing and stupid of us to bring the Typhoon, Reds, BBMF, Apache, Merlin, Wildcat pair as well as the many static items?!?
Nikon D500
Harvo266

Postby Andyperkins on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 1:13 pm

Harvo266 wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:Those around me will bear testament to how angry I was when Red Ten spoilt the Lions result. I'd gone to quite a lot of effort to avoid having it spoilt before getting home.

Otherwise a very good show that belied the embarrassing home team supply. Review to follow.

Yes, how embarrassing and stupid of us to bring the Typhoon, Reds, BBMF, Apache, Merlin, Wildcat pair as well as the many static items?!?

By home team I think he meant items stationed at Yeovilton, the only bits that took part in the flying display I believe were the two Wildcats, understandable they couldn't do the Commando Assault but still even a flypast by half a dozen Wildcats would have been something.

I still had a great time though and look forward to next year.
Andyperkins

Postby Wissam24 on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 3:43 pm

Harvo266 wrote:

Wow, I didn't know that the Fleet Air Arm operated the Typhoon, Reds, BBMF, and Apache!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Wissam24 on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 3:45 pm

Hampshire Aviation wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:Otherwise a very good show that belied the embarrassing home team supply. Review to follow.

Embarrasing? What would you have liked them to use for a commando assault demo, Airfix kits?

Well done on picking up on my point :clap:
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Spotty_Jag on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 4:02 pm

Harvo266 wrote:

At the Royal Navy's Air Day, I wouldn't consider the Typhoon, Red Arrows, BBMF or Apache to be "the home team"! :dizzy:
Spotty_Jag

Postby Harvo266 on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 5:19 pm

Wissam24 wrote:
Harvo266 wrote:

Wow, I didn't know that the Fleet Air Arm operated the Typhoon, Reds, BBMF, and Apache!

By home team I thought you were referring to the U.K...Apologies
Nikon D500
Harvo266

Postby The Baron on Tue 11 Jul 2017, 8:11 am

Given that RAFAT used different display lines at Cosford and now Duxford they displayed quite normally at Yeovilton even with the close proximity of Yeovilton village. So what's going on?
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby Andyperkins on Tue 11 Jul 2017, 9:59 am

I assumed the larger airfield meant they were able to perform their displays without overflying any heavily congested areas.
Andyperkins

Postby B52h on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 6:32 am

Thought it was decent show. A few great flying acts- the Rafales and Danish F16 were excellent. Static was thin as usual but special thanks to the Belgian airforce who allowed my son a cockpit tour and an opportunity to take a great photo home to mum. Another special thanks to Ellie with the Defender who allowed him to sit in her aircraft and explained everything to him- he thinks girls are cool all of a sudden. Worth noting they were proud of the 66 year age gap between pilot and co pilot :sleepy:
The negative was the chaos in leaving Vixen and the few brave men that decided to hurl abuse at the young girl/Marshall who quite honestly had no way of resolved the issue. Shame on those drivers. Takes a lot of bravery to Hurl abuse at a young girl.
Others wise a great show. Big thanks to the Belgians, Ellie and the USAF for the C17 tour.
B52h

Postby UK Airshow Review on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 7:39 am

UK Airshow Review

Postby Jakesplanes on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 6:47 pm

Thanks for the report Sam, covers all the points well. Have to say it was overall a very pleasant weekend, the arrivals day poorer than usual but the show itself probably the best in at least 5 years. I thought the static actually very good this year, and featuring a lit of quality FAA items. Here's to next years Air Day.
IG profile "jakesplanes"
Jakesplanes

Postby davidjones533 on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 8:10 pm

A fair review I think. The barriers at Yeovilton are always an irritation given how much space they have to play with... even if they were just lower that would help. Overall though I had a very enjoyable day and thanks to all involved. Some say the home team support was poor, but it takes a huge amount of commitment to put on such a show on an operational base. Yeovilton once again eclipsed the RAFs only air show both in international participation and, dare I say it, display lines.
davidjones533

Postby soloturk on Fri 14 Jul 2017, 6:52 pm

Only just remembered it's about time I put my two pennies worth.

Prepared to be a bit baffled, but this was the best Yeovilton show I've been to :clap:

Hear me out though, only been doing Yeovilton for about 3 years, not long after I got into aviation in general anyway. Don't know why I wasn't doing it in the 2000's but there we go :lol: I've heard just how different it was back then, but as I didn't attend any of those I can't base it on that.

Arrived and parked alright, got to the security check, a slow queue as someone was checking literally everything but no problem with that as there was no rush to dive in, so got through at 09:20 so there was still bags of time to wander around before the air display started. Sounds like I missed the manic scrum to get through the gate then as I purchased a programme and sailed through the gate no problem.

Enough static/stalls to steadily walk round and still get to see the displays. I found the positioning of the fences around the statics was ok, but managed to get the shot's I wanted without the fence being in the way.

I might get slammed (:lol:) but I'm not a huge fan of helicopters, don't mind them don't get me wrong, so I was quite pleased that the display was varied with plenty of jet's with some helicopter action, but not excessive, I thought it was balanced.

Rafale's and Danish F-16 was just amazing. Only a couple of cancellations as well, the Sea Fury was known about, but according to the person on the tannoy, they were still trying to fix the atlantique on Friday evening but they couldn't get it going, so I assume the Chipmunk was used instead because it was rather too late to arrange anything else at a super last minute time? :dunno: :dunno:

Although it's mostly helicopters, I don't mind the Commando Assault so hopefully that's back in order next year as planned (Apparently this one couldn't go ahead because of fleet unavailability with Lynx's being worked on for upgrades and the Jungilies gone away to Norway :dunno:?)

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed it :smile:

Talking of helicopters, I only got the serial of the flying Apache, does anyone know the serials of the other helicopters flying in the displays please?

James.
soloturk

Previous

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days