2018 Yeovilton Air Day

Re: 2018 Yeovilton Air Day

Postby Andyperkins on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 1:07 pm

Jakub.Zurek wrote:I'm assuming with Southport on the same weekend, the Typhoon won't operate from Yeovilton?

Possibly but in recent years I remember it being based at Yeovilton and then leaving/returning several times during the day to take part in other shows.
Andyperkins

Postby Andyperkins on Tue 10 Apr 2018, 3:09 pm

Yeovilton is on the Red Arrows 2018 schedule :smile:
Andyperkins

Postby itfcscott on Tue 10 Apr 2018, 3:42 pm

BBMF confirmed with Dakota and a pair of Spitfires.
itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Postby R4118 on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 1:56 pm

Booked tickets for this show. First time for me.
Just wondering about photographic conditions for static and flying display.
Is the static do-able without cones, barriers, .....
Is the sun in the back during the flying display? Or is it the Duxford way?

All info is much appreciated.
Frisian Flag
La Ferté-Alias
APROC
Yeovilton
RIAT
Biggin Hill
KB
Duxford
R4118

Postby Paul_Reflex on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 2:15 pm

R4118 wrote:Booked tickets for this show. First time for me.
Just wondering about photographic conditions for static and flying display.
Is the static do-able without cones, barriers, .....
Is the sun in the back during the flying display? Or is it the Duxford way?

All info is much appreciated.

Yeovilton is a great show so I'm sure you'll have a fantastic day. Sadly though it's not ideal for photography. The barriers around the static can be very close, although some sections of the static are quite a lot better than others as not all of the static are 3/4 on. The sun is almost exactly Duxford style, later in the day is not too bad though. One of the highlights of Yeovilton is the area where display aircraft park. It's about 2/3 of the way down the crowdline to the right of crowd centre. Most aircraft flying from the show for displays (although not those using flares) will operate from this area.
Paul_Reflex

Postby The Baron on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 5:44 pm

To add to Paul_Reflex's comments the crowd line is quite short and fills up really quickly.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby Berf on Wed 18 Apr 2018, 1:39 pm

KDC-10 Extender – Royal Netherlands Air Force (Static)
AS532U2 Cougar – Royal Netherlands Air Force (Static)
NH90 NFH – Royal Netherlands Navy (Static)
Berf

Postby Frogfoot on Wed 18 Apr 2018, 2:32 pm

Shaping up to be another classic!
Frogfoot

Postby G-CVIX on Wed 18 Apr 2018, 4:38 pm

Not worth photographing the static at Yeovilton IMO. The line up is really remarkable, I'm so glad I bought a grandstand seat this year. Now, if some of the statics could arrive during the arrivals day window, that would be bloody lovely.
G-CVIX

Postby Milguy22 on Thu 19 Apr 2018, 6:34 am

Hope this is ok to post here. This will be my first time attending Yeovilton. I'm travelling from Lowestoft and I just want to know what traffic is like and parking at the event. Is it a nightmare where I will sit hours in traffic waiting to park or is it quite smooth? Thanks for any help.
Milguy22

Postby MiG_Eater on Thu 19 Apr 2018, 8:43 am

Yeovilton is great for parking in my experience, although i've always used the on-base parking. If you arrive just before opening time you will be fine.
MiG_Eater

Postby Tommy on Thu 19 Apr 2018, 10:52 am

It'll be awesome to see the Dutch Cougar. Very very rare these days.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby RAF4EVER on Thu 19 Apr 2018, 11:24 am

Tommy wrote:It'll be awesome to see the Dutch Cougar. Very very rare these days.

To quote Brevet:MEH :wat:
RAF4EVER

Postby Andyperkins on Thu 19 Apr 2018, 3:25 pm

Milguy22 wrote:Hope this is ok to post here. This will be my first time attending Yeovilton. I'm travelling from Lowestoft and I just want to know what traffic is like and parking at the event. Is it a nightmare where I will sit hours in traffic waiting to park or is it quite smooth? Thanks for any help.

As long as you get there early (before opening) you should be fine but being one of the few shows left where you can buy tickets on the day it can be hard to judge as a good weather forecast can suddenly up attendance which will of course lead to queues.
Andyperkins

Postby ted633 on Mon 23 Apr 2018, 10:46 am

Just posted on Facebook

We have a big day tomorrow!

6 aircraft to announce for the #Yeovilton18 flying display. 5 of which will be joining other aircraft as part of 3 very unique display elements.

Here is a snippet of one of the aircraft being announced in our big reveal. Can you guess what it is?

Stay tuned between 1030 and 1230 tomorrow (Tues 24 Apr).

(Sorry, can't work out how to post the link & image correctly!)
2018 - Season Premier, Fly Navy, Military Pageant, Yeovilton, RIAT, BHFoF, Dunsfold
ted633

Postby Wissam24 on Mon 23 Apr 2018, 10:50 am

Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Wissam24 on Mon 23 Apr 2018, 10:51 am

http://www.zephyr28.com/galeries/

It's a Zephyr which is VERY tidy indeed
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Pringles on Mon 23 Apr 2018, 11:17 am

Wissam24 wrote:http://www.zephyr28.com/galeries/

It's a Zephyr which is VERY tidy indeed

Hopefully two of the other aircraft to be confirmed will be the Paris and Alize? The trio have been on my wish list for some time!
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby Tommy on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 7:15 am

RAF Chinook confirmed:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 9:57 am

Sea King ASaC7 in the flying display:

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby Andyperkins on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 10:12 am

Nice to have the Chinook back and didn't think I would see a navy Sea King again so :clap:
Andyperkins

Postby Berf on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 10:13 am

PARTICIPATION UPDATE:
MiG-15UTI – Norwegian Air Force Historical Squadron (Flying)
Sea Fury T20 – Fly Navy Heritage Trust (Flying)
Sea Fury FB11 – Royal Navy Historic Flight (Static)
We’re delighted to announce that the Navy Wings Hawker Sea Fury T20 operated by the Royal Navy Historic Flight and the Norwegian Air Force Historical Squadron MiG-15 will fly together at Air Day! The pair will pay tribute to the famous MiG-15 shootdown at the hands of a Royal Navy Sea Fury in 1952: one of aviation history’s very few piston-over-jet victories.
Berf

Postby Andyperkins on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 10:14 am

Well they promised 6 flying additions and that is 5 down so only one left to go, one of the unique elements will be the Sea Fury and MIG-15 flying together and the other is the Sea King opening the show with the Sea Fury and Wildcats so guess that leaves just one to go.
Last edited by Andyperkins on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 10:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Andyperkins

Postby Tommy on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 10:15 am

The Sea King is billed as a flypast to open the show, alongside a couple of Wildcats and the Sea Fury, and then an acknowledgement to the crowd as its last appearance at VL airshows before retirement, before anyone thinks there'll be a display as such.

Top, news, though. The last UK MoD Sea Kings(?). How common they used to be a couple of years ago :sad:

That and the other additions are damn fine. :up:
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Andyperkins on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 10:40 am

PARTICIPATION UPDATE:
Morane-Saulnier Paris - Armor Aéro Passion (Flying)
Fouga Zéphyr - Association Zéphyr 28 (Flying)

Two super-rare historic post-war French naval aircraft will BOTH make their UK mainland flying display debuts at the Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton International Air Day. The V-tailed Zéphyr jet trainer and the neat Paris trainer/liaison aircraft will perform solo routines and fly in formation with the modern French Navy’s Chasse Embarquée Rafale M multirole fighters and Atlantique maritime patrol aircraft. This combination of old and new, that the Aéronautique Navale calls ‘Cocardes Marine’, has never been seen before in the UK.

That is going to be one hell of a flypast :smile:
Andyperkins

PreviousNext

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days