What did you think, then?!

What did you think, then?!

Postby Lomcevak26 on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 10:51 am

Hi all,

Very keen to hear any feedback you might have on this year's show. Which displays did you particularly enjoy (or not enjoy), how did you rate the show as a whole - the usual kind of thing.

Many thanks in advance!

P
Lomcevak26

Re: What did you think, then?!

Postby danspuggti on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 11:32 am

Well it was my first ever visit to the Yeovilton Air Day. I travelled up from Exmouth (about 55 miles) as I was on holiday. I sat down the Eastern end to the right of the grandstand and have to say I thouroughly enjoyed the day. The weather was great once the clouds finally broke around 12:30pm and I thought the flying display was brilliant with a good mix of fast jets, classic types etc. I think I may even have got some photo's worthy of posting on here. Great to see XH558 back in the air again. Shame she didn't formate with the Red's but hey, maybe at another show. My "display of the day" would have to be the Sea Hawk. I missed seeing it at Cosford due to the weather but the display at Yeovilton was absolutely brilliant :rock:
My only gripe of the day would be that the gates opened a bit late (9am) for my liking but other than that I thought it was a great show :clap:

DAN

P.S.
As long as I can get the time off work next year I'll more than likely be back :biggrin:
Last edited by danspuggti on Mon 18 Oct 2010, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Same old sh*t.............just happening on a different day!!!
danspuggti

Postby an2grahame on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 11:56 am

:wall: i appreciate 1xf16 but to display 3? My highlights 1.Guy and his glider skills as always 2.the Jordanian falcons 3.vulcan. 4.the spicey chicken at the aircrew reception!!
Antonov "kilo fox" Events Manager
http://WWW.AN2CLUB.INFO
an2grahame

Postby TonyO on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 1:27 pm

Stopping people from going in the 27 end field is the surefire way of halting attendance of enthusaists to this show in the future. I am not talking about freeloaders, genuine enthusaists who pay entry but go to the field to take photos. VLAD now needs to consider some way of improving photo access, somewhere the photographers can keep the sun behind them.
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?
TonyO

Postby Hardcase on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 2:55 pm

Agree with TonyO. The shambles that occurred this year at the 27 end has really highlighted the problem, and unnecessary extra workload the Navy are giving themselves by ponsing about guarding roads they have closed just to stop enthusiasts. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Lets hope next year they listen (lomcevak) and a photo enclosure is made proper. It only needs to be like RIAT, just a penned area on the south south side. No hospitaliity nonsense or marquees. Just a chance to be able to park up and get some cracking shots of what are cracking aircraft that Yeo always attracts. :clap:

As far as displays go, superb! All three 16's was a treat. And the Commando Assualt as ever a Yeo tradition and long may it remain so :clap: :clap:

As I say cant fault anything bar the above mentioned. Someone really needs to get a grip of this for next year.... Await results we will...
Hardcase

Postby DamienB on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 3:07 pm

It would be straightforward to provide a small enclosure on the south side - perhaps on the grass just north of southside dispersal - but what would you do about display practices? You can't have them carried out over the public so they'd probably need you all to vacate the enclosure and go north side before any practices began.

I can't see there being any real possibility of moving the entire show to the southside as parking and access could be a serious problem - and would you really want the priceless FAA Museum and its storage facility to be put at any risk whatsoever?
DamienB

Postby TonyO on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 3:17 pm

There is no way the show can be moved southside for the reasons Damien suggests, but a photography enclosure can't be beyond the wit of VLAD, they could even charge for it, although that would mean insurance issues I guess...
TonyO

Postby EMarsh on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 3:22 pm

Hardcase wrote:No hospitaliity nonsense or marquees.

I assume you will be taking over sponsorship duties for 2011, then?

TonyO wrote:Stopping people from going in the 27 end field is the surefire way of halting attendance of enthusaists to this show in the future. I am not talking about freeloaders, genuine enthusaists who pay entry but go to the field to take photos. VLAD now needs to consider some way of improving photo access, somewhere the photographers can keep the sun behind them.

Come on! What gives a handful of photographers who make up a tiny percentage of the crowd the right to demand any such access? The divine right to photograph everything with the sun behind you, perhaps?

"Genuine enthusiasts" indeed.
EMarsh

Postby TonyO on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 3:37 pm

EMarsh wrote:
Hardcase wrote:No hospitaliity nonsense or marquees.

TonyO wrote:Stopping people from going in the 27 end field is the surefire way of halting attendance of enthusaists to this show in the future. I am not talking about freeloaders, genuine enthusaists who pay entry but go to the field to take photos. VLAD now needs to consider some way of improving photo access, somewhere the photographers can keep the sun behind them.

Come on! What gives a handful of photographers who make up a tiny percentage of the crowd the right to demand any such access? The divine right to photograph everything with the sun behind you, perhaps?

"Genuine enthusiasts" indeed.

See, just the sort of attitude that makes airshow organisers carry on as they are and not attempt to improve.

No enthusiast has a divine right, but if photographers can't go in the field anymore they just ain't going to go to the show, fewer people = money lost at the gates or in stalls etc, etc. I only went because I had a ticket as a result of my friend winning a competition, if I hadn't had the ticket and discovered that no-one was allowed in the field, they'd have lost my business. I doubt I am alone in thinking that, even if I represent a small minority.
TonyO

Postby DamienB on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 3:52 pm

Frankly Tony I think you'd be better off putting some effort into getting the landowner on side rather than trying to get the Air Day organisers to go to a great deal of trouble to satisfy at most a few hundred people. Bear in mind 30,000 or so visitors on Saturday... surprised they consider it worthwhile to cater for the photocall visitors at all.
DamienB

Postby TonyO on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 3:57 pm

Wasn't it VL who appealed to the landowner to get rid of the enthusaists from the field?
TonyO

Postby DamienB on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 4:00 pm

Believe so, though I understand the request was mainly to keep people off the undershoot rather than out of the entire field. Hence effort getting the landowner on-side with what the enthusiasts are after could be well-spent. Some temporary fencing to block the undershoot off would have done the job... and there's nothing to stop him charging a small fee for use of the field.
DamienB

Postby Hardcase on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 4:08 pm

I didnt say that. Keep the existing facilities but in terms of a Photographers area just a penned of section with access to and from, with a couple of toilets!

As Damien says its the Farmer that VLAD need to get on side really. Its two days a year! 363 days the farmer wont get bothered. Hes got a farm next to a large operational station which hosts a huge airshow once a year.

Lets put it this way, This year was somewhat 'shock and awe' as people were taken aback at the whole thing especially the twaddle being spouted by the old bill. Next year all parties will be ready...

''Ladies and Gentleman the Commando Assault is no longer our finale, we now have the Farmer, enthusiaits and Police spectacular!!'' :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Hardcase on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardcase

Postby Rotor on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 4:09 pm

From Friends present the situation seems to have changed as the Day went on.

So said Friend is going to find out from the farmer direct as his siste knows them and ill let you all know the outcome :smile:
Rotor

Postby Rotor on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 4:10 pm

And Tony your starting to sound like park and view West :grin:
Rotor

Postby Hardcase on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 4:23 pm

Right I reckon thats it. Lets get the topic back on thread, or we will all get shot by Lomcevak! :grin:

I think the message has got through about the said goings on.

I look forward to another great VL in 2011!
Hardcase

Postby Rotor on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 4:35 pm

Hardcase wrote:Right I reckon thats it. Lets get the topic back on thread, or we will all get shot by Lomcevak! :grin:

I think the message has got through about the said goings on.

I look forward to another great VL in 2011!

Yes well said.
The organisers done well on the participation again and its just the usula flaws that wont go away just to suit the photogrpahers.
Joe public will be happy with what they got :clap:
Rotor

Postby Finningley Boy on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 4:40 pm

Thanks for enquiring Lomchevak old Plum, I loved the F16s the best! I'd have thought it pretty cool if some Hunters and the Sea Vixen were among those appearing on this aerial stage! :biggrin:

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Postby JetA1 on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 7:18 pm

F16s, Vulcan, harriers and venom brill, but where was the rest of the show? There was just a serious lack of aircraft to see. we walked round the static in 3 minutes.

I enjoy yeovilton, but we just need more planes.
JetA1

Postby farnboroughrob on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 7:36 pm

I have to say flying was great ,static awfull. I enjoy the static just as much as I do the flying and it was awfull. Lots of light aircraft, and not even interesting ones at that. No RN Merlin, plenty of Seakings in the hangars, more needed outside. Not having at least one large aircraft really showed. Seems crazy that nothing from the AAC or Boscombe could be persueded to come a few miles away. Sadly I can not see things improving in the near future as reguards participation. Oh and next year can we have one of the ZZ seriald Hunters in Static and at the spare F-16's on the crowd side flight lines?
farnboroughrob

Postby Houndstone Hawk on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 7:41 pm

VL is my local & so I care very highly about its airdays. I just can't help feeling that airday is losing its identity. Kemble has its classic jets, Flying legends its warbirds, RIAT, it's international presence & Yeovilton has always been about Naval Air Power. I appreciate the ongoing problems the RNHF have been having but surely there are other historic naval paricipants. Vulcan & F-16s & Tucanos are very good & the former 2 are great crowd pullers (which I guess is the be all, end all) but but do little to make you feel that you are in attendance at the nations best Naval Air Day.
Was great to see Seahawk back in the air btw!
Houndstone Hawk

Postby Rotor on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 7:58 pm

I was suprised the 2nd special Dane wasnt crowd side.

Gilze seemed to tow the spare over after the rehearsel the Day before.

Isnt there enough room for all the demo aircraft on the crowd side?
Rotor

Postby Markie on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 8:25 pm

I can't believe he's asked about the show and some of you are still going out about access to some stupid field which has been done to death in another thread, get over it and move on!!! Rant over, I doubt some of you were even there!!

In terms of the show, great variety and mix of aircraft in the flying display. French Alpha jet was superb and never thought I'd say that about an Alpha Jet!! Enjoyed seeing the Spanish, very polished and graceful. F16's were superb, JDF were as good as ever and parking the Vulcan on taxi way next to crowd was nice touch.

Swift display team not really for me but Glider was good. Single high performance aerobatic plane would have been good or someone like Matadors! Parachutists jumping from helo took far too long!

Static was very poor, Rafale and Phantom were highlights but even having some RAF stuff and USAFE from Lakenheath would have helped such as we have seen in the past. Maybe even Wokka from Odiham or even AAC from Middle Wallop plus Herc or VC10 like at Gilze. I know it's a Navy day but having mass Navy static with Sea Harriers and lots of helo's has gone so this should be replaced.

All in all though a great show.
Markie

Postby Markie on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 8:33 pm

ps, agree with Rotor about towing spares over.

Have just looked at some shots from 2004 and you had a Danish & Dutch Lynx, Chinook, Blackhawk, Piston Provost, vintage jets, Harvard, Sea Fury, Sea Vixen, AAC stuff in static along with RAF participation and even a Mustang.
Markie

Postby st24 on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 9:11 pm

Quite annoying was the fact that the Tucanos were standard ones rather than the camo pair. Why?!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Next

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days