What did you think, then?!

Re: What did you think, then?!

Postby centaurus18 on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 9:12 pm

Maybe next year the organisers could try and get THREE Sea Furies together flying together for the first time in over 30 years?
By that I mean VR930, VX281 and WG655. Share them with Legends at Duxford, who could itselves go one better with FOUR derivatives of the type.

Before you mention it, the Seafire can do both events, as could the Skyraider and numerous P-51s and Spits over the years.

An ex-Navy Hunter wouldn't go amiss either.
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'
centaurus18

Postby graydays on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 9:47 pm

I thought the day was great, even the weather played ball and the other half didn't moan too much. :lol: The early start was a bit of a non event, was like trying to raise the titanic, no hope! even though late away am still managed to drive in with no probs.
Vulcan was great though i thought a little subdued, and little disappointed no flyby with the reds, could imagine red 4 being wayyyyy out in front. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Team Aquilla was very polished and enjoyed the three F16 displays for their differances but was annoyed at missing getting shots of the flare releases. i thought they had been stopped at uk shows and was not expecting them. Sea hawk and seafire was very nice just hope RNHF have more luck with getting the swordfish and fury back in the air.( i hope I'm not the only one but i do miss the firefly.) :sad: My only gripe was the piped music through the tannoys :mad: . Information yes for the general public but no need for pop songs.
As for those who are moaning about not getting the right shot due to not being able to stand in the right place or position of the sun,lighten up. I thought that was the appeal of photography was to beat the conditions and get the one shot that no one else has. If the conditions were perfect all the time the photos on this forum would get very monotonous as every one would get perfect shots. This hobby is meant to be about fun not getting worked up about everything. Rant over. :lol:
heres to next year. :clap:
graydays

Postby graydays on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 9:55 pm

st24 wrote:Quite annoying was the fact that the Tucanos were standard ones rather than the camo pair. Why?!

As announced in the commentry they were doing a commemerative flypast with one of the bbmf spits at another venue. I think age must be catching up on me as i cannot remember where it was.( now why did i walk upstairs :dunno: :confused: )
graydays

Postby Frostie on Wed 14 Jul 2010, 7:54 am

I thought it was a generally good the static was a let down for the show there just wasn't enough. I would have liked to see a couple of different Fast-jets in the flying but thats just my preference. At least 5 of the 6 F-16s on the southside were flare armed and the other had been requested to remain on the south side by the crew.
Frostie

Postby A40-BP on Wed 14 Jul 2010, 1:39 pm

Daft question, did the Rafale's turn up in the end? And has the Phantom left, as I'm guessing if not thats the one for FFD then?

Cheers

With dumb bombs and retarded bomblets, why don't they just use stupid missiles?
A40-BP

Postby Markie on Wed 14 Jul 2010, 4:32 pm

Not 100% but I'm sure I overheard the German crews saying it would be a different airframe for FFD.

Yes, one French Navy Rafale was on static display.
Markie

Postby MerlinJon on Wed 14 Jul 2010, 5:12 pm

German F4 is still at VL after some problems on start up on Monday.
MerlinJon

Postby The Baron on Wed 14 Jul 2010, 6:49 pm

Houndstone Hawk wrote:VL is my local & so I care very highly about its airdays. I just can't help feeling that airday is losing its identity. Kemble has its classic jets, Flying legends its warbirds, RIAT, it's international presence & Yeovilton has always been about Naval Air Power. I appreciate the ongoing problems the RNHF have been having but surely there are other historic naval paricipants. Vulcan & F-16s & Tucanos are very good & the former 2 are great crowd pullers (which I guess is the be all, end all) but but do little to make you feel that you are in attendance at the nations best Naval Air Day.
Was great to see Seahawk back in the air btw!

Didn't you steal that sentiment from me?! I beleive those were pretty much my words on the way home from Legends. Never mind, I will exep your apology in cake form tomorrow.

As far as the static display was concerned: Phantom was great, Rafale a very nice addition as was the camo Hornet Moth and you don' see many of them around! It was a good idea towing a couple aircraft over from the museum but The Hawk is quite correct - Yeovilton really ought to concentrate on its roots - it is a Naval air station and the airshow should reflect that. For instance: Seafire, Sea Hurricane, RNHF, Skyraider, Sea Vixen, Wasp, Harriers, Rafale in the flying display and Phantom, Super Etendard in static. They're not far off but a little push in the right direction would make all the difference.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby 2e1var on Wed 14 Jul 2010, 7:44 pm

Great day, really enjoyed all of it, plus it's my new local. I just hope the organizers can move the sun to a different position for next year, it was a pain.
UBC9000XLT, UBC125XLT, UBC360CLT, FTdX3000, FT991, FTM-100, FT-2800, IC-7100, ID-31E
Sony a58, Tamron SP 70-300
2e1var

Postby A40-BP on Wed 14 Jul 2010, 8:30 pm

Thanks for the replies regarding the Phantom and Rafale.

With dumb bombs and retarded bomblets, why don't they just use stupid missiles?
A40-BP

Postby Houndstone Hawk on Thu 15 Jul 2010, 12:08 pm

Didn't you steal that sentiment from me?! I beleive those were pretty much my words on the way home from Legends. Never mind, I will exep your apology in cake form tomorrow.

Baron Old chap. Sorry old bean but confusion rains down on me from the 'steal' word. I do recall from the conversion between 2 decent types, in your dapper motor vehicle old man; & you rightly made some points to which my sentiments were exactly mirrored but I didn't realise I was stepping on your toes.
Anyway old chap; it's a point that's shared my many I'm sure, regardless how it's worded or from whom.
At the end of the day though, I guess the important note is that we still have an airday to enjoy.
OK then old bean; must toodle & get this cake that you are demanding. Poor show what! :grin:
Houndstone Hawk

Postby The Baron on Thu 15 Jul 2010, 6:09 pm

Calm down old boy. I don't mind you using my great intellect for postings. Here is not the place to argue, not in front of these people. Looking forward to teaming up for two days at RIAT! Oh! I forget, you're only going one day. :tongue:
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Previous

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days