Yeovilton 2014

Re: Yeovilton 2014

Postby jules48 on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:07 pm

I did not go but there were 4 other airshows this weekend and Sunderland got most of the RAF stuff and the Reds so I suppose its a question of bad planning really.
I thought the Typhoon did a flypast though
jules48

Postby MRTT on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:10 pm

Had a brilliant day but it certainly wasn't classic- what displayed was good but the gaps were quite large unfortunately.

GOOD THINGS
Hunter 'Miss Demeanour Display'- Loved the display and that colour scheme really is absolutely gorgeous and fits the aircraft very well.
Commando Assault Finale- Thought it was brilliant but it was slightly less impressive than I remember from 2012, I enjoyed seeing the Sea King flare release.
Rich Goodwin Pitts Special- The display as one of the best of the day, he chucked the thing around brilliantly and that take off was something else
The Black Cats- Thoroughly enjoyed the display and I think the Lynx and Wildcat go very well together.
Mid Air Squadron XL577 Solo Display- Thought the display was brilliant but just a shame she couldn't be joined by Canberra XH134.

BAD THINGS
Cancellations- I very much feel for the organisers after the amount of cancellations during the week prior to the show- Canberra, Sea Vixen, GWDT, Voyager.
Maritime Role Demo- Wasn't overly impressed by this and the display seemed shorter than previous years

Overall I had a brilliant day and will certainly be returning next year as always
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey
MRTT

Postby AMB on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:10 pm

Kipperooni wrote: Got there at 06.30 in the Hunter car park only to have the gate closed until well after nine. .

sopwithflyer wrote:Bad bits. Like the last poster got there early, barriers were moved so all the later comers jumped in front.

Why do you guys feel the need to get there so early? It is not RIAT where you get there early in time for the gates to open at 0730. Ever since I can remember, Yeovilton have always opened their gates at 09.00 and it's well publicised. The so-called 'late-comers' probably turned up just before 0900, so must have done the right thing. I would have been frustrated if I turned up two-and-a half hours before the gates opened, but it would haved been my own fault.
Adrian
AMB

Postby JohnF on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:11 pm

As always I spent the day photographing the Wildcat/Lynx as they were taking off/landing for their displays. Only moved to the crowdline for the commando assault to photograph the Sea Kings. Great to see them one last time. Not as good as last year but still an excellent day.

Parked in Hurricane car park at 08:50 and was on the airfield just after 09:00 when gates opened. Waited until 18:30 before leaving the car park and got straight out without any problem. I've never had a problem getting in/out of Yeovilton all the years I've been attending.
Last edited by JohnF on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnF

Postby Andyperkins on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:16 pm

After last year I was certainly prepared this year with a UV umbrella, ice packs and tons of water and as a result I enjoyed it a lot more even though it was still very warm :sweat:

I was disappointed by the amount of cancelled displays, what did happen to the Chinook and Merlin? as the PA system where we were sat was just noise, thankfully the fast jets made for great viewing as did the Vulcan which seemed to put on a longer display than normal finished off with a parachute deploy which I think surprised everyone.

Oh and that repainted Phantom :clap: just wish I had remembered to charge my camera last night, got about a dozen pics then it died :facepalm:

Do you think anyone actually fact checks the souvenir programme? as I'm pretty sure the first flight of the F-16 was not 1934 :lol:
Last edited by Andyperkins on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andyperkins

Postby sopwithflyer on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:20 pm

AMB wrote:
Kipperooni wrote: Got there at 06.30 in the Hunter car park only to have the gate closed until well after nine. .

sopwithflyer wrote:Bad bits. Like the last poster got there early, barriers were moved so all the later comers jumped in front.

Why do you guys feel the need to get there so early? It is not RIAT where you get there early in time for the gates to open at 0730. Ever since I can remember, Yeovilton have always opened their gates at 09.00 and it's well publicised. The so-called 'late-comers' probably turned up just before 0900, so must have done the right thing. I would have been frustrated if I turned up two-and-a half hours before the gates opened, but it would haved been my own fault.

For Me Grandchildren live in Torquay its a case of leave early miss the holiday traffic I'm afraid or spend the day sat in queues. I am not a spotter or photographer so not interested in getting to the crowdline. It was a day out really and as I fly myself the sort of thing you do.
sopwithflyer

Postby FlankerE on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:30 pm

First time at Yeovilton; definitely enjoyed it with my highlights being Miss Demeanour (always an incredible display) the fast jets (F-16, F-18) having seen both of them at RIAT an oppurtunity to put down the camera and actually watch the display :D Flares certainly add a lot to the display. Does the Swiss Hornet usually use them? I thought it was going to.

Commando assault was brlliant, never seen anything like it (relative newcomer to the airshow scene) although I heard its been better previous years. Static was very well laid out in my opinion, and allowed for some good shots.

Only negatives would be George Bacon (he's so patronising), the fact we ended up with front row grandstand seats although we were told they were back row (the front row barrier was completely ridiculous), and all the unfortunate cancellations which I suppose can't be helped, good work from the organisers though finding replacements at such short notice.

Does anyone know what happened during the Solo black cat display? What kind of issue were they having?
FlankerE

Postby MRTT on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:32 pm

Andyperkins wrote:After last year I was certainly prepared this year with a UV umbrella, ice packs and tons of water and as a result I enjoyed it a lot more even though it was still very warm :sweat:

I was disappointed by the amount of cancelled displays, what did happen to the Chinook and Merlin? as the PA system where we were sat was just noise, thankfully the fast jets made for great viewing as did the Vulcan which seemed to put on a longer display than normal finished off with a parachute deploy which I think surprised everyone.

Oh and that repainted Phantom :clap: just wish I had remembered to charge my camera last night, got about a dozen pics then it died :facepalm:

Do you think anyone actually fact checks the souvenir programme? as I'm pretty sure the first flight of the F-16 was not 1934 :lol:

I believe Chinook broke down and the Merlin had a hydraulic leak.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey
MRTT

Postby Andyperkins on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:41 pm

BrizeWatcher wrote:
Andyperkins wrote:After last year I was certainly prepared this year with a UV umbrella, ice packs and tons of water and as a result I enjoyed it a lot more even though it was still very warm :sweat:

So same problems both had at Fairford on the Friday, if the Apache had been down to attend I'm sure something would have happened to it too lol

While I still enjoy the Commando Assault I can't help but remember it from the early 2000's when you had 6+ Seakings, 2x Lynx, a Chinook, an Apache, a Merlin, 2x Sea Harriers and 2x Hawks, today's show was just a shadow of it's former self :sad:
Last edited by Andyperkins on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andyperkins

Postby MRTT on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:44 pm

Andyperkins wrote:
BrizeWatcher wrote:

So same problems both had at Fairford on the Friday, if the Apache had been down to attend I'm sure something would have happened to it too lol

Exactly what I was thinking earlier, helicopters really aren't having much luck this year. :sad:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey
MRTT

Postby Wissam24 on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 9:33 pm

FlankerE wrote:
Commando assault was brlliant, never seen anything like it (relative newcomer to the airshow scene) although I heard its been better previous years. Static was very well laid out in my opinion, and allowed for some good shots.

Only negatives would be George Bacon (he's so patronising), the fact we ended up with front row grandstand seats although we were told they were back row (the front row barrier was completely ridiculous),

We realised we were on the front row, so we promptly nabbed one of the tables on the grass and brought it to the fence - much better than the grandstand in my opinion as we had the space to stretch out!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby 5944 on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 9:34 pm

First time I've been to Yeovilton, not sure I'll bother again. Nearly 5 hours each way to get there and home again by public transport. First train from London at Yeovil Junction was met by a single decker bus (20 minutes late), and must've left 20 people behind. Not good when the next bus is an hour later!

To have that many cancellations was unfortunate (especially the Merlin which was just about to take off when it failed!), but there were still a few highlights. The Belgian F-16 was stunning, I can see why it gets such rave reviews. I enjoyed the Vulcan, plenty of noise at times. The F-18 was ok, I think I would've enjoyed it more if it had been before the F-16 - it seemed a bit dull in comparison! B-25 was nice, as was the Catalina. Miss Demeanour was stunning, especially the last couple of passes after its main display.

As others have mentioned, more water bowsers as well as the standpipes are needed. More buses as well! I left at 4pm to guarantee I would get home, so missed the Dakota and the assault display.

Postby MRTT on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 9:42 pm

Wissam24 wrote:
FlankerE wrote:

Only negatives would be George Bacon (he's so patronising), the fact we ended up with front row grandstand seats although we were told they were back row (the front row barrier was completely ridiculous),

We realised we were on the front row, so we promptly nabbed one of the tables on the grass and brought it to the fence - much better than the grandstand in my opinion as we had the space to stretch out!

I saw you then Wissam- thought it was you but didn't say hello just in case it wasn't and it would have made be look like a numpty
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey
MRTT

Postby captainfurious on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 9:49 pm

I see Yeovilton as a fantastic, manageable day out with kids with a bit more punch than smaller airshow’s but not too big and obsessive like RIAT.

Unlike the airshow mentioned above for me this day is not about panicking in advance at what might be booked, cancellations or once in making sure I allocate every minute wisely to achieve the absolute most in my day, but more lets see what comes and happens.

I have to say my start of the day was perfect. Checked that car parks opened at 8am, arrived at Hurricane car park 8.20am, got through ticket check at 8.40am to a kind of pen area, and then walked straight in at 9am. I was super impressed especially after last year.

For my 5 year old little girl it was a great day. Lots of different types of aircraft, good weather, easy walking distances, given loads of free stuff, a ride or two, sat in a Gazelle and Sea King, saw a Vulcan and some big explosions. Yeovilton ticks every box for her.

For the enthusiast in me, at no fault of their own and completely contradictory to above comments, I was gutted with all the cancellations. In fact, everything that wasn't at RIAT that I wanted to see here cancelled! If I remember last year an F-18 and Hind cancelled at Yeovilton......a run of very bad luck!

As for some specific display thoughts - Lynx was brilliant as was Miss Demeanour, what a great last minute booking. Finale was much less exciting than last year.

So for me Yeovilton was not a classic this year but solid enough for me to be confident planning time for 2015. For my daughter she went to sleep surrounded by freebie bugs, a signed poster of the Black Cats, a VTTS patch and a "Daddy, can we go again next year?".
captainfurious

Postby G-CVIX on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 9:50 pm

Bacon was rough today with many stutters, long pauses and messed up words.

Enjoyable day if not slightly dampened by cancellations (particularly canberra).

Enjoyed particularly the swiss hornet, belgian f-16, red devils, baby blues and that pitts!
G-CVIX

Postby DDM10 on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 11:00 pm

Well for me not as good as last year, mainly due to cancellations, which can't be helped. Weather was a touch cooler (at times) than last year, but still hot. It was good of the organisers to put on a minibus to take us back to the Phantom car park at the end of the day, that was very welcome. I've always found the show well organised.

'Miss Demeanour' was fantastic, Jonathan Whaley's display far surpassed the first Hunter display. The Vulcan's parachute deployment was a great surprise, well worth the £2000! Although I really enjoyed the finale, it lacked the punch that last year had. I remember there was a photo call at the end last year with troops, junglies and a final flypast with huge explosion, this year was lacking that crescendo.

Still a very good day out.
"Well Ted, as I said last time, it won't happen again."
DDM10

Postby Andyperkins on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 11:16 pm

DDM10 wrote:Well for me not as good as last year, mainly due to cancellations, which can't be helped. Weather was a touch cooler (at times) than last year, but still hot. It was good of the organisers to put on a minibus to take us back to the Phantom car park at the end of the day, that was very welcome. I've always found the show well organised.

'Miss Demeanour' was fantastic, Jonathan Whaley's display far surpassed the first Hunter display. The Vulcan's parachute deployment was a great surprise, well worth the £2000! Although I really enjoyed the finale, it lacked the punch that last year had. I remember there was a photo call at the end last year with troops, junglies and a final flypast with huge explosion, this year was lacking that crescendo.

Still a very good day out.

Pretty sure every Commando Assault as ended with them facing the crowd line and as the Hawks fly over they set off a load of pyros and it's a big loud smokey finish, there being no big finale this year seemed quite odd.
Andyperkins

Postby IgnatiusJReilly on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 8:40 am

tankbuster81 wrote:Dosent sound like a classic! And solo Bacon= disaster!!!

Disaster? really? I think you all need a bit of perspective in your lives.
The running order fell apart due to the cancellations and unscripted 'display slots' made his job very difficult yesterday. The guy did what he needed to do, the information was relevant and for the layman - i.e. most of those there yesterday - interesting. I thought he did ok under quite trying circumstances. For me, what was important was that he shut up at the important moments.
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..
IgnatiusJReilly

Postby MRTT on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 8:54 am

For those who want to know- the order by my pictures is as follows

Please say if it is wrong

Royal Navy Historic Flight Sea Fury
Army Air Corps Lynx
Mid Air Squadron Hunter T7 XL577
Royal Navy Black Cats
Bucker Jungmann
North American T6 Harvard
Raiders Parachute Team
Pitts S1S Special
Hawker Hunter F58A Miss Demeanour
The Royal Jordanian Falcons
Avro Vulcan XH558
Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina
RAF Typhoon Flypast
Royal Danish Air Force Baby Blue Display Team
Belgian Air Component F-16 Fighting Falcon
Swiss Air Force F-18C Hornet
North American B-25J Mitchell
Maritime Lynx Role Demonstration
Hunter Miss Demeanour DEPARTURE
The Yakovlevs
Belgian Air Component Red Devils
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Dakota
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Spitfire x2
Commando Assault Finale

UNKNOWN
RAF Typhoon Flypast
Last edited by MRTT on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey
MRTT

Postby Wissam24 on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 9:28 am

BrizeWatcher wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:
FlankerE wrote:

I saw you then Wissam- thought it was you but didn't say hello just in case it wasn't and it would have made be look like a numpty

Haha oh no! You should've come over, how many other people were there wearing toe shoes and a corsair t shirt XD

I'd also like to say that we both thought the Yakovlevs putnon a surprisingly fast paced and tight display, well done to them.

As per the Commando Assault, I was keeping my camera firmly trained on them as they lined up directly on front of us, waiting for the big explosion finale. A touch disappointing.
Last edited by Wissam24 on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby MRTT on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 9:29 am

I don't know- lol. :lol:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey
MRTT

Postby itfcscott on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 9:56 am

BrizeWatcher wrote:UNKNOWN
RAF Typhoon Flypast

The Typhoon was between the Catalina and Baby Blue.
itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Postby IgnatiusJReilly on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:03 am

Wissam24 wrote:As per the Commando Assault, I was keeping my camera firmly trained on them as they lined up directly on front of us, waiting for the big explosion finale. A touch disappointing.

I'm sure the truth will out, but I wonder if the big explosion finale was planned but that it just didn't trigger?
The guys lined up looked as though they were expecting it, and then there seemed to be another attempt when the helicopters returned for a second line up.
I wasn't really paying much attention to it, but I thought I saw the blue plastic barrels lined up, ready to blow..
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..
IgnatiusJReilly

Postby Wissam24 on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:05 am

IgnatiusJReilly wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:As per the Commando Assault, I was keeping my camera firmly trained on them as they lined up directly on front of us, waiting for the big explosion finale. A touch disappointing.

I'm sure the truth will out, but I wonder if the big explosion finale was planned but that it just didn't trigger?
The guys lined up looked as though they were expecting it, and then there seemed to be another attempt when the helicopters returned for a second line up.
I wasn't really paying much attention to it, but I thought I saw the blue plastic barrels lined up, ready to blow..

In fairness I did wonder if that was the case, I hope it was and not because they decided to save costs!

Oh, and one more (big) disappointment! Asking the French lot by the Rafales if they were showing people round the cockpit, being told "No, it's not possible," - and then walking past later to see someone being given a cockpit tour! :mad: We weren't too mad though, we got a tour of the Caesar despite the guy telling us they weren't planning on doing so so we felt lucky there! Played with the minigun and all.
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby MRTT on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:09 am

itfcscott wrote:
BrizeWatcher wrote:UNKNOWN
RAF Typhoon Flypast

The Typhoon was between the Catalina and Baby Blue.

Thanks mate, shall amend it.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey
MRTT

PreviousNext

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days