Yeovilton 2014

Re: Yeovilton 2014

Postby sopwithflyer on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:14 am

Wissam24 wrote:
IgnatiusJReilly wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:As per the Commando Assault, I was keeping my camera firmly trained on them as they lined up directly on front of us, waiting for the big explosion finale. A touch disappointing.

I'm sure the truth will out, but I wonder if the big explosion finale was planned but that it just didn't trigger?
The guys lined up looked as though they were expecting it, and then there seemed to be another attempt when the helicopters returned for a second line up.
I wasn't really paying much attention to it, but I thought I saw the blue plastic barrels lined up, ready to blow..

In fairness I did wonder if that was the case, I hope it was and not because they decided to save costs!

Oh, and one more (big) disappointment! Asking the French lot by the Rafales if they were showing people round the cockpit, being told "No, it's not possible," - and then walking past later to see someone being given a cockpit tour! :mad: We weren't too mad though, we got a tour of the Caesar despite the guy telling us they weren't planning on doing so so we felt lucky there! Played with the minigun and all.

Awkward balance that one Wissam. You get loads of people wanting a cockpit tour even on a basic fly in type even.t Once you show one you have a queue, and many just look in it for the sake of it and in the end you do get concerned about damage. Sometimes someone you know comes along or sometimes someone that just really strikes a note with you and you show them around. I don't really like showing people as most you show are looking because its free and clearly don't have much of an interest, similar to experience flights, you do them to promote aviation to the young and many clearly don't appreciate it. Occasionally you find one or two that are clearly passionate about it and you are very happy to encourage them all you can.
sopwithflyer

Postby Wissam24 on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:36 am

sopwithflyer wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:
IgnatiusJReilly wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:As per the Commando Assault, I was keeping my camera firmly trained on them as they lined up directly on front of us, waiting for the big explosion finale. A touch disappointing.

I'm sure the truth will out, but I wonder if the big explosion finale was planned but that it just didn't trigger?
The guys lined up looked as though they were expecting it, and then there seemed to be another attempt when the helicopters returned for a second line up.
I wasn't really paying much attention to it, but I thought I saw the blue plastic barrels lined up, ready to blow..

In fairness I did wonder if that was the case, I hope it was and not because they decided to save costs!

Oh, and one more (big) disappointment! Asking the French lot by the Rafales if they were showing people round the cockpit, being told "No, it's not possible," - and then walking past later to see someone being given a cockpit tour! :mad: We weren't too mad though, we got a tour of the Caesar despite the guy telling us they weren't planning on doing so so we felt lucky there! Played with the minigun and all.

Awkward balance that one Wissam. You get loads of people wanting a cockpit tour even on a basic fly in type even.t Once you show one you have a queue, and many just look in it for the sake of it and in the end you do get concerned about damage. Sometimes someone you know comes along or sometimes someone that just really strikes a note with you and you show them around. I don't really like showing people as most you show are looking because its free and clearly don't have much of an interest, similar to experience flights, you do them to promote aviation to the young and many clearly don't appreciate it. Occasionally you find one or two that are clearly passionate about it and you are very happy to encourage them all you can.

Hmm that sounds fair enough, I can understand that. Although this was before the gates opened, I guess it's a slippery slope.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby sopwithflyer on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:45 am

Wissam24 wrote:
sopwithflyer wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:
IgnatiusJReilly wrote:

Hmm that sounds fair enough, I can understand that. Although this was before the gates opened, I guess it's a slippery slope.

I think in Aviation, most people are very happy to encourage, we live in a society when most kids don't have much of an interest in science, aviation and flying, some develop an interest for a day at an airshow, want to be a pilot buy all the gear and then then the next day go to the cinema and want to be a film star instead. Some kids say things that clearly show them to be different, They MUST be encouraged and we (as pilots/enthusiasts) most recognise that, it benefits us all.

If they were adults. there could be a few reasons or they just got lucky I guess.
sopwithflyer

Postby Flare Path on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:56 am

sopwithflyer wrote:I don't really like showing people as most you show are looking because its free and clearly don't have much of an interest, similar to experience flights, you do them to promote aviation to the young and many clearly don't appreciate it.

Explosive.
Flare Path

Postby sopwithflyer on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:02 am

Flare Path wrote:
sopwithflyer wrote:I don't really like showing people as most you show are looking because its free and clearly don't have much of an interest, similar to experience flights, you do them to promote aviation to the young and many clearly don't appreciate it.

Explosive.

Shouldn't be! Not here as most people here one would think have an interest (by being here) and folk like that you are happy with, Its the droves of JP looking because they can, with no understanding of wear to tread etc etc. And experience flying is what it is. Not so many clearly passionate about it today.
sopwithflyer

Postby HMS Seahawk on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:12 am

G-CVIX wrote:Bacon was rough today with many stutters, long pauses and messed up words.

Enjoyable day if not slightly dampened by cancellations (particularly canberra).

Enjoyed particularly the Swiss hornet, belgian f-16, red devils, baby blues and that pitts!

Agree about Bacon - commentary was disjointed with long gaps, a bit like the flying display. Can't allow for aircraft going u/s though. Shame as prior to the numerous no shows the line up was looking really strong.

First Yeovilton Airshow for me for 4-5 years & I enjoyed the Belgian F-16, Pitt's Special and Yakolev's. Both Hunter's were worth the admission price alone especially Miss Demeanour's unplanned return!
Last edited by HMS Seahawk on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
HMS Seahawk

Postby mikek on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:20 am

Bacon was the commentator?
I'm surprised at the comments here, I thought he was very good and added to my enjoyment. Weren't the long gaps so that we could just enjoy the aircraft?
The public service announcements between the displays were rather patronising and irritating but i'm happy to put up with them. At Fairford they had music blasting out which was awful and could've ruined it for me.
Handsomest UKAR member.
mikek

Postby HMS Seahawk on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:38 am

mikek wrote:Bacon was the commentator?
I'm surprised at the comments here, I thought he was very good and added to my enjoyment. Weren't the long gaps so that we could just enjoy the aircraft?
The public service announcements between the displays were rather patronising and irritating but i'm happy to put up with them. At Fairford they had music blasting out which was awful and could've ruined it for me.

I thought Bacon sounded a bit lost and confused at times. I am not a fan of him however having heard him all weekend at RIAT I thought he did well but yesterday he was poor in my opinion. Perhaps he needed a co-commentator with him.
HMS Seahawk

Postby Richard E on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:38 am

mikek wrote:Bacon was the commentator?

I thought this was probably the best air display commentary that I've heard Kevin Bacon deliver and was certainly a great improvement over last year, whilst it was a little disjointed in parts I attributed this to the need to reschedule the display "on the fly" and I think they had at least one power failure on in the commentary position during the day.

All-in-all a very good day out and I think I share the same high and low points as everyone else, perhaps the best thing to say about the day is that on Friday evening I was debating whether I'd bother going to next year's display: by lunchtime on Saturday I was looking forwards to 2015.

Finally can anyone shed any light on why the solo Lynx display was ended prematurely, did the aircraft go "technical" or was there an issue with the display
Last edited by Richard E on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard E

Postby itfcscott on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 1:08 pm

The Lynx did go unserviceable, couldn't hear what the issue was on the radio though
itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Postby UKTopgun on Mon 28 Jul 2014, 7:23 am

Was there an album of lift muzac on before the flying, because RIAT has had it for the last 2 years and I assume it is George that chooses it !
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Postby Tilney.G on Mon 28 Jul 2014, 8:24 am

Sounds like it was a good Air Day but not one of the best.
Was upset I couldn't make it due to illness :sad:
Tilney.G

Postby tattmaylor on Mon 28 Jul 2014, 8:48 am

First Yeovil for me and if this year was not as hot as last year I would not have survived 2013. Hot!!! My 6yo did mighty well to get through it. But I loved it. Then again it's my first in 10 years since a one off Waddington in 2003. I was a regular Finningley visitor as a child but not since late 80's. So they are all blurry nostalgia:-). So, to be honest, I was easily pleased.

Layout wise it was much better than Waddington last time, which had amusements nearly up to the crowd line (I had to listen to amusement promotion jingles all through the display). I was also worried about the commentary from looking on here but I quite liked it. It was very old school to me. I was expecting a radio 1 DJ from what you guys had said. Plenty of facts, not to much dumbing down and the poor bloke did well to keep positive with so many cancelations on the day. The Merlin cancellation would have broken me (we were watching it warm up for 10mins). I strangely quite liked the cheesey 'intermission' music ;-). It was very non obtrusive - thank god for no pop tunes.

Also I had Grandstand tickets (a christmas present from my father in law) so I had no moans about view, etc. Great my boy could sit in the stand or lay on grass to chill and still see everything. VIP parking very nice - no problems at all in and out. Would maybe consider again with a little one if he's really up for it even at that major cost. Fathers and mums will understand!!

Main objective of day was more about planting a seed in my boys imagination than just for me enjoying it. So think it was a success, although for anyone taking small children for the first time it can be testing for an air enthusiast dad. "What do you mean you'd rather go on the plane simulator again rather that watch the F-16 display?" , "The hunter was your worst plane?? What is wrong with you?!" :lol: He's only 6 poor lad and it was hot :-)

Highlights:
Sea Fury (new to me) - always wanted to see a typhoon/tempest as a child. Beautiful plane. Beat's a spitfire for me.
Lynx (doing back flip) - not sure i've ever seen this manoeuvre live before so definately a highlight. Also the point my son fell in love with helicopters. All the helicopter displays were his favourites for the rest of the day. He was gutted The Merlin didn't make it as it was his favourite in the static. We all loved the italian black paint job as well!
Hunter 'Miss Demeanour' - wow! After the first Hunter (and an explanation of why these old planes are not usually tested to their limits) this was amazing display. Pretty much what i saw in late 70's when they were still being pushed.
Vulcan - I grew up seeing these in the sky's as a child and still remember Vulcan scramble's at Finningley. Also worth the look on my lads face as it took off - priceless. Especially as we both decided the ear protectors his mum gave him were not needed just before the take off. God lad ;-) Also great as it may not be around for long.
Catalina - One of my dads fav's and such a beautiful plane.
F-16 - Best display of the day for me. But then I am biast. I remember seeing this plane for the first time at Finningley and falling in love with it. My childhood favourite at ever show after that. It just seemed so modern back then in the way it looked and the way it flew. It hasn't aged one bit for me. Kind of spoilt it for the F-18 having to follow that display.
B-25 - Surprisingly good display for an old plane.
Yakololevs - I was a bit grumpy they didn't get a jet display team to replace the Red Arrows (RIAT had a glut of them). So I was never going to give the prop teams a chance. But these guys won me over. Plus the planes had a lovely sound.
Commando Assault Finale - My son's absolutely highlight (as probably most kids). In some ways it's was all a bit silly but great just to see all the helicopters in the air at once.

Best highlight:
Luckily my father-in-law works for Lockheed Martin and seeing my lads face at the Merlin no show marched us down to the VIP tent, where they had a Wildcat and a Merlin, and managed to get us in to have a look round and sit on cockpit, chat to pilot, etc... :-) Made up for it totally.

Negatives:
After all the cancellations before, to have so many on the day as well was so disappointing. The Merlin/Chinook especially - the old guys have an excuse but the Merlin is meant to be tough!
Also what is the point in a flypast with the Typhoon. Blink and you miss it. All that fuel just for that. He could have down a few turns surely?Seems like it was just to get it on the program/poster :-/.
I may have missed it, but couldn't find the poster stall with all those great side view paintings of aircraft I loved as a child. My treat every year was one of those?

Overall though, great day though. May have to save for VIP parking though.
tattmaylor

Postby tattmaylor on Mon 28 Jul 2014, 8:55 am

Wissam24 wrote:
BrizeWatcher wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:
FlankerE wrote:Haha oh no! You should've come over, how many other people were there wearing toe shoes and a corsair t shirt XD.

:lol: It's seems I sat next to you for a bit and and said hello with my lad.

I must admit when I was laying on the grass I noticed your shoes, what are they all about? :shock:

QUESTION:

Are displays all about money. i.e. The french Rafeale's where there and they were a display team? Could Yeovil have paid then to do a display at the last minute or was it too late? to too expensive? needed permission?
tattmaylor

Postby Wissam24 on Mon 28 Jul 2014, 9:55 am

tattmaylor wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:
BrizeWatcher wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:
FlankerE wrote:Haha oh no! You should've come over, how many other people were there wearing toe shoes and a corsair t shirt XD.

:lol: It's seems I sat next to you for a bit and and said hello with my lad.

I must admit when I was laying on the grass I noticed your shoes, what are they all about? :shock:

QUESTION:

Are displays all about money. i.e. The french Rafeale's where there and they were a display team? Could Yeovil have paid then to do a display at the last minute or was it too late? to too expensive? needed permission?

Haha no way! Blimey all these UKAR members around! Well it was nice to have that brief chat and I'm glad to hear your lad was enthralled. The shoes - I find them super comfortable if I'm walking around for a long time all day as it's like walking around in bare feet - it sounds counter-intuitive but the less support your shoes give your feet the better it is, and these do that but protect your soles. I get very funny looks and more than a few titters but I have very comfortable feet!

What was the VIP tent like? I'd love to work in the aiviation industry, difficult to get into!
Last edited by Wissam24 on Mon 28 Jul 2014, 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby capercaillie on Mon 28 Jul 2014, 9:56 am

tattmaylor wrote:QUESTION:

? :dunno: :dizzy:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby tattmaylor on Mon 28 Jul 2014, 10:17 am

Wissam24 wrote:
tattmaylor wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:
BrizeWatcher wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:
FlankerE wrote:

What was the VIP tent like? I'd love to work in the aiviation industry, difficult to get into!

Didn't get to go in tent. Looked like a black tie job, you needed to dress up :-). To be honest it looked like lot's of industry/big wigs and very hi brow rather than the shop floor people (Lockheed is a big company!). Nice though as nobody was really in the helicopters. Used the toilets though ... very nice.
tattmaylor

Postby roger v mills on Tue 12 Aug 2014, 9:49 am

I have been to many Yeovilton Air Days ,from 1964 onwards ( !) , but not recently,until this year.It was a shock to see how much the airfield has changed ; lots of new buildings ,a control tower moved to the other side of the airfield (it used to be where the "golf ball " radar is ) different hangars, no Marconi 965 or 264 radars (which I helped to maintain in 1966 !) ,although there were still what looked like ancient installations ie those odd round structures with spider-web antennae on top ! ( FV 10 ? FU 3 ? ). As to the airshow this year, I was disappointed with all the cancellations and "no-shows" ,and the main pyrotechnic at the finale failed to detonate ! My partner has become (through me ) very interested in Sea Vixens ,and was VERY upset when Foxy Lady didn't appear . But she enjoyed Jonathon Whaley's display in his Hunter ! He must be getting on a bit (like me ) ; he was flying Vixens with 899 NAS aboard Eagle in 19767/8 ( I was with the ship's AED ) ; I am 67 this year, so Jonathon must be too,or older.I had a few "firsts" though ; I had never seen a Vulcan deploy a braking 'chute , or seen a PBY or a B25 flying either,so I was quite happy about that ( and the "Yaks" display team with their throaty engines ) , so I probably WILL go again next year ( the Swordfish enclosure is GREAT !)
roger v mills

Previous

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days