Culdrose 2014

Culdrose 2014

Postby Finningley Boy on Sat 14 Sep 2013, 11:15 am

Has anyone heard anything about the date for Culdrose Air Day next year? :cuppa:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Re: Culdrose 2014

Postby darkman on Mon 16 Sep 2013, 4:12 pm

26th july
Or maybe not - that's Yeovilton
darkman

Postby Finningley Boy on Sun 17 Nov 2013, 7:05 am

According to the Navy website it is to be held on 31st July!

Finningley Boy

Postby Chris G on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 11:55 pm

Wildcat Aerobatic Team is going to be there.
Chris G

Postby Tilney.G on Wed 02 Apr 2014, 8:14 pm

Gazelle squadron are down for Culdrose, Lets hope Culdrose has some better weather this year :smile:
Tilney.G

Postby vbombers2 on Tue 08 Apr 2014, 2:28 pm

Blades are confirmed for Culdrose.
vbombers2

Postby Tilney.G on Sat 26 Apr 2014, 9:33 am

RV8tors will also be attending along with the Breitling WingWalkers :smile:
Tilney.G

Postby Finningley Boy on Thu 08 May 2014, 2:15 pm

I've just had a look at the now published provisional flying programme, it seems worth the trip. It also shows how starkly the face of the UK airshow scene has change in just a small handful of years. The heavy metal side of things is entirely from private collectors and companies. No Typhoon, Tornado or, dare I suggest, Lightning II. The base Avengers aren't even flying, I imagine perhaps because they are operated under some PFI arrangement, the legal requirements of which do not cover public displays. So there we have it, the prestige of the modern Armed Forces.

FB
Finningley Boy

Postby KyleG on Thu 08 May 2014, 11:35 pm

Finningley Boy wrote:I've just had a look at the now published provisional flying programme, it seems worth the trip. It also shows how starkly the face of the UK airshow scene has change in just a small handful of years. The heavy metal side of things is entirely from private collectors and companies. No Typhoon, Tornado or, dare I suggest, Lightning II. The base Avengers aren't even flying, I imagine perhaps because they are operated under some PFI arrangement, the legal requirements of which do not cover public displays. So there we have it, the prestige of the modern Armed Forces.

FB

It's not the final list! The Typhoons etc. can still be added, and indeed they were added days before the event last year! And even so, Culdrose has always been a mainly classics show in recent years (with the proximity of Classic Air Force accelerating that) - as nobody can afford to bring F-16s over to have them sat there in the rain, like the Tornados during 2011.

As for the Avengers, I have never heard of a PFI arrangement for them, I've always heard they are owned outright. Even so, I wouldn't really complain they aren't in the display - they aren't really suited for that, unless you just want to see a King Air do some flypasts taking up time which could be used for a more popular and impressive act that actually draws people in.

Just two cents from somebody 2.6 miles from the control tower of RNAS Culdrose :whistle:

P.S Just enjoy the update, if delivered, it will be one of the best air shows there for years.
Canon EOS 50D/1100D
KyleG

Postby Pen Pusher on Fri 09 May 2014, 7:10 am

KyleG wrote:As for the Avengers, I have never heard of a PFI arrangement for them, I've always heard they are owned outright.

In partnership with Ascent Flight Training Limited under UKMFTS, the Squadron started training students on the new aircraft in September 2012.

royalnavy.mod.uk

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby KyleG on Fri 09 May 2014, 7:57 am

Pen Pusher wrote:
In partnership with Ascent Flight Training Limited under UKMFTS, the Squadron started training students on the new aircraft in September 2012.

royalnavy.mod.uk

Brian

I stand corrected, yet my other points about the Avengers and the air show still stand.
Canon EOS 50D/1100D
KyleG

Postby Finningley Boy on Sat 10 May 2014, 7:30 am

KyleG wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:

royalnavy.mod.uk

Brian

I stand corrected, yet my other points about the Avengers and the air show still stand.

I beg to differ, did you not see the displays by the Cranwell based King Air, so impressive in 2008 that the crew were nominated to for the Wright Jubilee trophy, usually going to pilots of the Hawk, Tucano and in earlier days; Jet Provost, Gnat and Vampire etc for their aerobatics skills.

As for the observation about it being a classics show, in recent years, that's entirely my point, in recent years they've had no option but to go down that line after the availability of home grown military air assets were reduced so drastically from 2005 to the present. As for the late additions of the Tornado GR4 and Typhoon last year, they counted their pre-display arrival for the static as part of the flying. It was a case of blink and you'll miss it. As for the comment about the unfair share of bad weather at Culdrose, if that sentiment is shared by those responsible for putting the event together and likely participants then its in serious trouble. But I suspect the real reason is simply a lack of available military aircraft and a radically different military mindset today. Hence the radio summer road show feel increasingly felt at what are meant to be military airshows these days. Your own reference to "acts" as if it were BGT says it all, the culture is one of simple family entertainment rather than the original demonstration of military air power and Culdrose is supposed to be a "see what we achieve with you taxes" event, albeit aimed at taking advantage of the summer holiday crowds in Devon & Cornwall. Oh, and it comes to something when a poster on pprune (their posters tend to be rather more reticent about such things) is dismayed that there isn't GR4 display of any sort this year given its popularity and short time left! I would add that its all the more disappointing given the overall lack of available types at all.

Finningley Boy

Postby busby pete on Sun 11 May 2014, 5:35 pm

KyleG wrote:I wouldn't really complain they aren't in the display - they aren't really suited for that, unless you just want to see a King Air do some flypasts taking up time which could be used for a more popular and impressive act that actually draws people in.

I'm sorry to say Kyle that your not really old enough to remember the Jetstrem display that was put on back in the early 90s?!! i was a true display of pilot skill. :drool: Just a shame it was to end in such a tragic way :sad: As already stayted the RAF king air display off a couple of years ago was of similar standard.
So yes. i for one would love to see an Avenger put through its paces.!
Air 2014 is looking very good this year. Yes its not as good as years gone by, but its never going to be. But I'm still going :wink:
busby pete

Postby Logster on Sun 11 May 2014, 7:39 pm

I agree on the recent year's king air displays. They looked great over Dawlish I thought.
Logster

Postby Ledhead27 on Mon 19 May 2014, 8:54 pm

This is the participation list as it currently stands:
Aircraft Attending:

RNAS Culdrose Airday 2014 Display Aircraft

F=Flying, S=Static

Royal Navy
Black Cats Helicopter Display Team (F)
Lynx HMA8 (S)
Merlin HM1/HM2 (F/S)
Sea King HC4 (F/S)
Sea King HU5 (F/S)
Sea King ASaC7 (F/S)
Wildcat HMA1 (S)
Hawk T1 (F/S)
Avenger T1 (S)
RNHF Swordfish (F)
RNHF Sea Fury

Royal Air Force
Hercules (F)
Merlin HC3 (F)

Classic Aircraft
Avro Vulcan B2 (F)
Sea Vixen (F)
Canberra PR9 (F)
Hunter x 2 (F)
Hunter 764 NAS Colours (S)
Gazelle x2 (S)
Pembroke (S)
Chipmunk (S)
Pilatus P3 (S)

Warbird/Historic
P-51 Mustang (F)
Kittyhawk (F)
Skyraider (F)
Seafire (F)
Spitfire x 2 (F)
Tiger Moth + Queen Bee (S)

Civilian
Blades Aerobatic Display Team (F)
Muscle Biplane (F)
Breitling Wing Walkers (F)
Wildcat Aerobatics- Pitts S2B x2 Edge 360 (F)
Beech 18 (F)
RV8tors Display Team (F)
L4 Cub (S)
"FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, DroneMan Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes
Ledhead27
UKAR Staff

Postby MRTT on Tue 27 May 2014, 7:29 pm

Another participation update has been released

Royal Navy
Sea Fury (F)
Swordfish (F)

Royal Air Force
Voyager (F)
Hercules (S)
Merlin (S)
Hawk T2 (S) FLYING MERLIN AND HERCULES CANCELLED

Army Air Corps
Lynx AH7 (F)

Royal Danish Air Force
Fennec Helicopter (S)

Warbirds
B-25 (F)
Kittyhawk (F)

Civilian
Dassualt Falcon 20 (S)
Brietling Wingwalkers (F)
Aeronaca (S)
Cessna Amphibian (F)
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey
MRTT

Postby AMB on Sat 31 May 2014, 10:48 pm

Well that's not a bad list, but it would be nice if they could put up a formation of, say, four Avengers just for a couple of flypasts.
Also, does anyone know if there are any foreign Merlins training crews at Culdrose at present, Indian, Turkmenistan etc? Perhaps one of those might be on show?
Adrian
AMB

Postby KyleG on Sun 01 Jun 2014, 11:15 am

AMB wrote:Well that's not a bad list, but it would be nice if they could put up a formation of, say, four Avengers just for a couple of flypasts.
Also, does anyone know if there are any foreign Merlins training crews at Culdrose at present, Indian, Turkmenistan etc? Perhaps one of those might be on show?

Generally those tasks are undertaken at the Westlands facility at Newquay Airport. Still would be nice to see one in different colours though :smile:
Canon EOS 50D/1100D
KyleG

Postby G-CVIX on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 11:00 pm

Long long way away but I might have to leave at 4.30 on the dot to get on the road. Don't want to go inside this year and risk getting stuck in traffic. Anyone know any good viewing spots? I'm planning on parking at a friends and walking, but I've always been on base! Another option is parking in town and walking out which is possible too and means you don't get stuck.
G-CVIX

Postby busby pete on Fri 06 Jun 2014, 7:04 pm

Best bet is like you say, park up in town and walk in. Took me about
30 minutes to walk in last year.
As for viewing off base, the problem is any of the half decent viewing points your looking in to the sun! Not much good for photographing an air display!
busby pete

Postby KyleG on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 8:10 pm

Polish MiG-29 and C-295 for static :drool: :yahoo:
Canon EOS 50D/1100D
KyleG

Postby MRTT on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 8:29 pm

KyleG wrote:Polish MiG-29 and C-295 for static :drool: :yahoo:

Nice Additions, is anyone else thinking they may do VL first before flying down to Culdrose.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey
MRTT

Postby Wissam24 on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 8:34 pm

What a cracking addition! Might have to take the trip down there then if I can!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby KyleG on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 8:47 pm

BrizeWatcher wrote:

Nice Additions, is anyone else thinking they may do VL first before flying down to Culdrose.

Nothing pointing to that at all.
Canon EOS 50D/1100D
KyleG

Postby Chopper81 on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 9:03 pm

BrizeWatcher wrote:

With the casa as support I could see that being announced this week!!
Chopper81

Next

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days