Yeovilton Friday Arrivals

Yeovilton Friday Arrivals

Postby NKC-135A on Wed 11 Jun 2014, 3:49 pm

Does anyone know if the Draconian restrictions placed on the sheep field under the approach in the past couple of years are to employed again this year ? If that is the case then for the first time in almost 30 years, I will not be bothering with arrivals or the air show, especially as the list of participants is not great. They will have lost a long standing customer and I suspect I will not be the only one.
NKC-135A

Re: Yeovilton Friday Arrivals

Postby The Baron on Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:09 am

I don't know for sure but I'd imagine the same restrictions will be in place again this year. I too, won't be attending arrivals after the farce that was 2013.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby capercaillie on Thu 12 Jun 2014, 11:44 am

Its been a farce now for several years with little or no purpose, but the standard of the show has declined so much, I don't feel the need to go anymore. Shame as its a nice venue for arrivals. :sad:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby Disaster Area on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 9:20 am

No sign of any road or right of way closures on the Somerset County Council website YET!!
Disaster Area

Postby PHILJMOORE on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 7:55 pm

Sorry to be the doom merchant, but here's a link to this years Temporary Traffic Order for Airday, I note that it seems to cover the Thursday before as well this year: http://www.somerset.gov.uk/EasySiteWeb/ ... alId=54638
This is a .pdf
PHILJMOORE

Postby StuWeston on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 6:39 am

This might sound like a stupid question but what about Pyle Lane? I'm thinking of going this year as I will have broken up from school and i could make the friday.
Sony A37
Tamron SP 150-600mm
Somerset.
StuWeston

Postby capercaillie on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 8:18 am

PHILJMOORE wrote:Sorry to be the doom merchant, but here's a link to this years Temporary Traffic Order for Airday, I note that it seems to cover the Thursday before as well this year: http://www.somerset.gov.uk/EasySiteWeb/ ... alId=54638
This is a .pdf

They'd forgotten about it this year, until they got a reminder as someone made a post about no closures on a well known aircraft forum :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby trebleone on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 8:25 am

StuWeston wrote:This might sound like a stupid question but what about Pyle Lane? I'm thinking of going this year as I will have broken up from school and i could make the friday.

You may be OK on foot for Pyle Lane, I saw people there last year, (although they could have been local residents). The roads are closed to unauthorised traffic at the ends of Bineham Lane and Weir Lane, though.

Last year, the wind was from the East and they were using 09 for arrivals; so Bineham Lane was the best place ... only problem is finding somewhere to park in Ilchester.
trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Postby Thumper on Wed 16 Jul 2014, 10:21 am

No chance of me ever doing the Photocall again after last year, sounds like arrivals from outside will be impossible as well unless you park miles out and walk a fair way but then there's the risk of being moved on anyway. I don't know how some people managed it last year but there were people in 27 field!!
Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Postby krustydave on Wed 16 Jul 2014, 11:49 am

Was in Pyle lane on Friday and Saturday last year. Parked at the weir in the village,
as long as you don't block the road, don't park in the police coned off areas or actually down the lane you are ok.
Basically there is not much space. enough for maybe 7-8 cars. From the weir its about 5 min trudge to the lane.
The police did turn up on bikes and on foot to move out people who did bring cars down the lane.
but as far as I can tell they cant move you on for just being there.
The only caveat is that you have to be in the village before 7am to be sure.
Think its going to be closed even earlier this year.
Don't see there being a lot else different this year.
But worst comes to worst I'm only in Yeovil so the Missus could drop me off and pick me up.
Nikon D3100
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR DX
150-500mm Sigma f/5-6.3 OS
krustydave

Postby AMB on Wed 16 Jul 2014, 3:00 pm

capercaillie wrote:Its been a farce now for several years with little or no purpose, but the standard of the show has declined so much, I don't feel the need to go anymore. Shame as its a nice venue for arrivals. :sad:

Quite agree! I can do without the hassle whilst attempting to photograph stuff I'ver seen many time before and at much friendlier bases! :loser: I'll save my pixels for another day!
Adrian
AMB

Postby AARDVARK on Tue 22 Jul 2014, 11:19 pm

StuWeston wrote:This might sound like a stupid question but what about Pyle Lane? I'm thinking of going this year as I will have broken up from school and i could make the friday.

Christ how old are UKAR members these days
;)
AARDVARK

Postby StuWeston on Thu 24 Jul 2014, 8:27 pm

AARDVARK wrote:

Christ how old are UKAR members these days
;)

Does age really matter?
Sony A37
Tamron SP 150-600mm
Somerset.
StuWeston

Postby benji1867 on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 9:57 pm

Can i ask what the issue is with the photocall? I was thinking of doing it for this coming year as itll be our first Yeovilton airshow.

cheers
Ben
benji1867

Postby Richard E on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 11:19 pm

benji1867 wrote:Can i ask what the issue is with the photocall? I was thinking of doing it for this coming year as itll be our first Yeovilton airshow.

cheers
Ben

As I understand it, not so much an issue with the Photocall but viewing the arrivals from outside the base on Friday. Back in the day it was possible to use the "sheep field" at the end of the runway to photograph the display participants from outside the base as they arrived, however for the last two or three years the public footpath across the field has been blocked off.
Richard E

Postby benji1867 on Mon 26 Jan 2015, 6:48 am

Thumper wrote:No chance of me ever doing the Photocall again after last year, sounds like arrivals from outside will be impossible as well unless you park miles out and walk a fair way but then there's the risk of being moved on anyway. I don't know how some people managed it last year but there were people in 27 field!!

I was going on what was said here.

Ben
benji1867

Postby davidjones533 on Mon 26 Jan 2015, 7:49 am

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
davidjones533

Postby Stagger2 on Tue 27 Jan 2015, 2:08 am

PHILJMOORE wrote:Sorry to be the doom merchant, but here's a link to this years Temporary Traffic Order for Airday, I note that it seems to cover the Thursday before as well this year: http://www.somerset.gov.uk/EasySiteWeb/ ... alId=54638
This is a .pdf

Well my Learned Colleague!...if that truly is the link to the Document they seek to rely upon for this years event I will ride legal rough-shod over their spotty arses just like I did last year! For reasons outlined by 'Capercaillie' above I will not go into detail on an open Forum. Doh!
Age Discrimination is not something I'm overly comfortable with...but you youngsters who were born into an age where the answer to anything is at your fingertips piss me off by asking inane questions without even coming to the 'party' with knowledge of last years farce! Click & learn. FFS, we had to use an Encyclopedia. (if you ask me what that is I will hunt you down &.....)
Whilst on that subject of last year (& at least 10 years back) you will find there has been no advantage whatsoever in being on the Airfield for Arrivals Day. In fact once you have managed to arrive at one of 2 very 'short windows of entry' you are herded into an undersize enclosure where, in the highly unlikely event they should have something happen in front of you, the event will pass in a flash with your lasting memory being the arses of 8 six-foot (1.9 metre) tall guys in front of you! Ask 'Thumper', in the next few months they expect to reduce her sedation. She suffered the Mother of all Post Traumatic Stress for her experience last year. Worse, by the time you realise you've had your 'pants pulled-down' you can't leave anyway. Not until the approved times! Most people would rather pay NOT to be in that position?
The Evening Photo-call..... Basic things you need:-
1) Subjects, preferably aviation related & not the same old dead & demobbed tack they tow outside every year. (half of that has been sold-off anyway to offset the cost of the VIP Marquee :whistle: )
2) Light & Access, by the time you get released from 'Guantanamo 2' there wont be either! If you can tolerate barriers, cones, ropes & other miscellaneous tat in your pictures, then go early Saturday morning & enjoy the possibility of better light & the 'most' of the static that arrives Saturday morning?
Don't believe me?...Just click last year! HTH Petals.
PS:- I used to be cynical...then I went to Yeovilton Air-day.
Stagger2

Postby Thumper on Fri 27 Feb 2015, 1:56 pm

Hahaha Stagger2, yes they have indeed reduced my meds and I am now feeling sane enough to discuss Yeovilton Air Day Photocall without collapsing on the floor and laughing manicly whilst crying! I was so traumatised I couldn't even attend last year!

It all started in the days leading up to... well... the day. Yeovilton advertised the Photocall as this wonderous day out with excellent photographic opportunities in a private and exclusive, right infront of the action enclosure. Come and see your favourite aircraft like the mighty Vulcan (which arrived several days earlier) and the F-16 (also arrived earlier).

I arrived an hour ahead of the "allocated entry time" and parked up in the car park (a field) where 2 'officials' stood there looking mildly bored. Over the next hour plenty of people arrived (as well as aircraft), I was pleased I had got there so early and was parked the second row from the front. Gates opened and... a-holes, a-holes as far as the eye could see. Everyone parked at the back was literally flooring it overtaking everyone at the front, I got completely wedged in by bullies and I was one of the very last people onto the base. By the time I got out of the car and walked to the enclosure every single seat was taken and the crowdline was FULL.

Next issue was the sun, not only was it hot but I was pointing my camera right at it and it remained that way all day, pointlessly shooting into the sun.

Water was £1 a bottle (small bottle) and it was over 100 degrees that day and we were all 'trapped' there, inside the enclosure was like a cattle market so I went and stood outside along the railings. I was then moved on by security and herded back into the sweat pit marquee that housed Meercats.

The VC-10 was my star item and thank god it didn't arrive early in terms of days but it did arrive early in terms of the time on the schedule, it was I recall about 4 hours early! There was no commentary or notice of it's arrival, just a sea of running people and the sound of 4 Conways. I took an excellent photograph of my favourite aircraft, what I had been waiting all year for.

A-holes, a-holes as far as the eye can see. Stood on chairs like a load of 8ft tall Meercats. Granted I was stood on a chair but I had my back to the marquee, no-one was behind me!

That was the only aircraft to land infront of the marquee, everything else landed on 09 end, touched down on the horizon and turned off before you could see it with a 400mm lens.

The practice displays were great especially the Czech Gripen and of course the mini Commando Assault but of course my photographs were poor as you'll struggle with haze, flare and focusing when shooting into the sun.

I left early after I realised I had spent £30 on water alone. I was pleased to get out of there (at the allocated time, of course)! On my way out I drove back past the "holding field" car park and stopped there to watch the P-51. I wish I had stayed in that field all day! :pinkwafer:
Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Postby The Baron on Fri 27 Feb 2015, 2:57 pm

Your experience Thumper was pretty much the same as I had and is the reason I didn't go myself last year. I was also only two rows back from the front and found getting into the sweat box to be a total joke. I wrote a letter of complaint to the organisers who basically said "well it's an active airfield, and that's the way it's always been." I won't be bothering again this year.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby CrowdlinePhotography on Sun 05 Apr 2015, 4:34 pm

Hi, does anyone know if the viewing platform in the FAA museum is open on arrivals day?
CrowdlinePhotography

Postby Trenethick on Sun 05 Apr 2015, 8:00 pm

CrowdlinePhotography wrote:Hi, does anyone know if the viewing platform in the FAA museum is open on arrivals day?

Yes all the viewing areas in the museum will be open from 1000 to 1730
Trenethick

Postby CrowdlinePhotography on Sun 05 Apr 2015, 8:41 pm

Trenethick wrote:
CrowdlinePhotography wrote:Hi, does anyone know if the viewing platform in the FAA museum is open on arrivals day?

Yes all the viewing areas in the museum will be open from 1000 to 1730

Thank you
CrowdlinePhotography

Postby K213 on Sat 09 May 2015, 12:38 pm

I was looking at the details for the Photocall on Friday and noted that the format has been changed this year.

Entry is one from 10.30 to 11.30

Photocall ends at 15.00 and you need to vacate the airfield by 15.30.

There is NO opportunity to view the static aircraft.

Although the ticket price has reduced to £10.00, given these restrictions and the fact that for the last two years aircraft have landed at the opposite end of the runway, it no longer sounds viable. I will not be going.
K213

Postby frank on Wed 20 May 2015, 8:02 am

Does anyone stay in the holding field rather than drive in and take photos.
frank

Next

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days