Yeovilton Friday Arrivals

Re: Yeovilton Friday Arrivals

Postby Thumper on Wed 20 May 2015, 2:20 pm

Interesting point. After 2013 I mentioned that I wished I had just stayed in the holding field all day as on my way out I had a great view of the Mustang doing a display and the holding field was empty. It was a flippant comment due to the photocall event being so poor, in reality, everything (bar 2 aircraft) landed 09 end and the holding field was near 27 end and has a line of tree's obscuring the airfield. If aircraft were landing 27 end it might provide a fairly decent view of the approach and I suppose you could just take a walk to get closer, this is of course counting on the fact that you will be permitted by security to stay in the holding area because at the 2013 photocall I stood literally right next to the marquee enclosure as I had had enough of that overcrowded sweatbox and I got moved back inside by security :dizzy:
Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Postby frank on Thu 21 May 2015, 12:23 pm

Thanks Thumper
Despite your warnings on the sweat box I have decided to go on the Friday so I can't really complain as I have been forewarned :smile:
Here's hoping they have listened and improved. I notice that there isn't a set limit to the photo call numbers
so I wonder how they stop overcrowding.
frank

Postby K213 on Fri 22 May 2015, 5:51 am

As far as I am aware it is open ended with no restrictions on numbers. It then becomes first served from the scrum trying to get in from the car park in the holding field, to whether you are able to get a good spot in the enclosure.
K213

Postby capercaillie on Fri 22 May 2015, 8:58 am

At least if you are not at the front of the enclosure, you can use somebody to shade you from the sun. :wink:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby Logster on Sat 23 May 2015, 1:48 pm

Hi,
Go to Yeovilton every year but this year I have said I will support my wife at a sponsored walk near Plymouth.....but french navy demo :wall:
What are the chances of a rehearsal on Friday......Are there usually any on the day before as at RIAT? And as members of the FAA museum has anybody tried viewing from there before?
Thanks
Matt
Logster

Postby CrowdlinePhotography on Sat 23 May 2015, 8:10 pm

Logster wrote:Hi,
Go to Yeovilton every year but this year I have said I will support my wife at a sponsored walk near Plymouth.....but french navy demo :wall:
What are the chances of a rehearsal on Friday......Are there usually any on the day before as at RIAT? And as members of the FAA museum has anybody tried viewing from there before?
Thanks
Matt

Apparently you can view arrivals day from the viewing platform.
CrowdlinePhotography

Postby Thumper on Sun 24 May 2015, 8:49 am

Yes the museum is open on Friday so you can view from either of the 2 viewing platforms. Not sure you will see that much from there though and of course the glass will make it a) very hot if the sun is out and b) not be that great for photographs. Going back to the photocall from 2013 I seem to remember that all the helicopters did a routine be it in the commando assault or a different formation so that's Lynx, Merlin, Black Cats, Wildcat, Sea Kings, the Gripen displayed, then there was the mini commando assault (with flares) which also featured an Apache, the Swordfish was up with a Wildcat, Belgian A-109, Czech Alca and then a Mustang. That's as much as I can remember, other aircraft like the Typhoon, Spitfire, Buchon, Hawks just did a circuit before coming in to land and of course the Vulcan did nothing as it arrived 4 days earlier. The first few hours were really slow and then it got much better.

One small tip, don't get yourself boxed in at the holding car park. Try and park right next to the track because it really is a massive bun fight when the gates open, think Carmageddon.
Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Postby Logster on Mon 25 May 2015, 8:18 pm

Hi, thanks for the comments. I'm not a photographer so not too bothered about being at the very front, as long as I can see them in the air and I'm going to RIAT the following week so at the moment the French navy demo is the main draw!
Thank for the car tip thumper :up:

Still can't decide though!
Matt
Logster

Postby dezzer24 on Tue 09 Jun 2015, 3:27 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know what days the USAF are due to land for there Static displays yet?
dezzer24

Postby NKC-135A on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 9:43 am

Somerset County Council have yet again published their Draconian restrictions for the Airshow. Various closures are in place from Thu to Sat which appear to be covering an even wider area. Basically, no person on foot, or with a bike or vehicle will be let into the closed area apart from the obvious such as the emergency services. That includes both ends of the runway. Once again they have lost my attendance for arrivals and my money for show on Saturday - Very sad !

If they are so worried about health and safety why don't they open a park and view for arrival photo's in the sheep field and make everyone happy and make some money for the Naval / FAA charities.
NKC-135A

Postby st24 on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 10:33 am

NKC-135A wrote:Somerset County Council have yet again published their Draconian restrictions for the Airshow. Various closures are in place from Thu to Sat which appear to be covering an even wider area. Basically, no person on foot, or with a bike or vehicle will be let into the closed area apart from the obvious such as the emergency services. That includes both ends of the runway. Once again they have lost my attendance for arrivals and my money for show on Saturday - Very sad !

If they are so worried about health and safety why don't they open a park and view for arrival photo's in the sheep field and make everyone happy and make some money for the Naval / FAA charities.

Have you a link to the restrictions- I was thinking of returning to Yeovilton but not if there's too much hassle...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby krustydave on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 11:05 am

Its on this website...
http://www.somerset.gov.uk/roads-parkin ... works/tro/
As far as I can tell IT IS more strict this year, it says....

1. that no person shall, except upon the direction of a police constable in uniform, cause or permit any vehicle or pedal cycle to enter on, proceed or wait in the lengths of road specified in Schedule 1 to this Order.
2. that no person shall, except upon the direction of a police constable in uniform, cause or permit any foot passenger to enter on, proceed or wait in the lengths of road as specified in Schedule 2 to this Order.
3. that no person shall, except upon the direction of a police constable in uniform, cause or permit any vehicle or pedal cycle to wait on any part of a road as specified in Schedule 3 to this Order

The Order shall come into operation at 0700 hours on 9th July 2015 and will continue in operation until 1900 hours on 11th July 2015.

It seems to me that they've closed the loopholes from previous years, if you got in by car before 7am and parked by the wier you were fine, but now I dont think you can even be down the lanes on foot or on a bike or they'll move you on.
I used to be dropped at the limmington closurse and walk in lugging my kit, cant do that anymore.

I suggest taking the bridleway from Draycott to Yeovilton and getting as close as you can that way.
Or the footpath from Chitlton Cantelo to the south dispersal area.
And if you are going on the far side, take a copy of the bridleway/footpath/road closure map so no one can move you on from the bits that arent covered.
Nikon D3100
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR DX
150-500mm Sigma f/5-6.3 OS
krustydave

Postby Logster on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 12:28 pm

Having looked at these, how do you get to the museum which is open as normal...looks like the road to it is closed? Or am I getting confused?
Logster

Postby st24 on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 1:18 pm

My God, why not just close down Somerset for the week. Pathetic, just pathetic. It sounds awful to say but I almost want VL to have mediocre shows so I don't have to bother with this crap. This year though.... :wall: :wall: :wall:
st24

Postby capercaillie on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 1:47 pm

Even with a half decent line up, I still just can't be arsed with this ring of steel crap. :tongue2:

I'd rather look at my local Firecrests or Honey Buzzards than not be allowed in a field by someone who had never heard of the place he's at until their job for the week dropped through the door. :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby Wissam24 on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 2:08 pm

It's incredibly stupid.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Mictheslik on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 3:03 pm

Looks to be the same as before to me. Schedule 2 (the prohibition of foot passengers) only applies to the bridle way closure. Should still be able to walk down the closed roads as these are in schedule 1.

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?
Mictheslik

Postby RichPittman on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 6:00 pm

This all depends on whether foot person means all people walking.

Are they stopping all the local residence watching the show this Year from down Pyle lane?
How will they be able to tell Me apart from any other residence
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"
RichPittman
UKAR Staff

Postby IgnatiusJReilly on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 7:50 pm

Sorry, but VLAD gets a thumbs up from me. :clap:
If you want to watch the show that the organisers have worked hard to put on, buy a ticket and accept their terms.
If you don't like the organisation, where the sun sits in the firmament or their toilet facilities, don't buy a ticket and stay away.

And to be really honest, given that I've paid to attend, having a crowd of sheep field fence huggers freeloading in the background of all my landing shots is more than a bit annoying.
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..
IgnatiusJReilly

Postby krustydave on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 8:02 pm

IgnatiusJReilly wrote:Sorry, but VLAD gets a thumbs up from me. :clap:
If you want to watch the show that the organisers have worked hard to put on, buy a ticket and accept their terms.
If you don't like the organisation, where the sun sits in the firmament or their toilet facilities, don't buy a ticket and stay away.

And to be really honest, given that I've paid to attend, having a crowd of sheep field fence huggers freeloading in the background of all my landing shots is more than a bit annoying.

Agree with you about freeloaders, but...
Those of us who are local, go to the airfield all year round and still pay for the show yet choose to watch from the outside for the photographic benefits would love to have somewhere to go,
I've paid but stayed outside for the last 7 years. I know that without paying the show wouldn't happen, I'm not that stupid. I accept the risks too. If I get splatted that's my own bad luck.
If it can happen at places like RIAT, Dux etc...why cant it happen at VL?!
Nikon D3100
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR DX
150-500mm Sigma f/5-6.3 OS
krustydave

Postby st24 on Sun 21 Jun 2015, 11:40 am

IgnatiusJReilly wrote:Sorry, but VLAD gets a thumbs up from me. :clap:

I hear what you're saying but for me, it has little to do with the show day which I've supported on and off since 1973. The sheep field was a fabulous place to shoot arriving aeroplanes the day(s) before the event. Unfortunately some nutters do insist on standing on the approach within arms reach of a 20 ton piece of metal screaming down on them at a rate of knots. If they sensibly fenced off the actual approach line allowing people to view (at a cost if need be) from a short distance then fine.

I apologise for messing up any of your back lit , silhouetted landing shots in the past.... :surrender:
st24

Postby AARDVARK on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 6:20 am

Can I pay on the day for Friday ?
AARDVARK

Postby Thumper on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 8:05 am

Yes you can, tickets are £15 on the day.
Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Postby CG3 on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 8:18 am

Do you need steps down Pyle Lane?

CG3
CG3

Postby Thumper on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 9:56 am

If you want to take photographs then yes you will need something to stand on as the mesh fence is pretty high, I am 5ft 8 and manage fine with a small 3 step decorators 'ladder', alternatively a Land Rover roof is spot on (only when you can drive down there though) :wink: Pyle Lane will be busy on Friday and packed Saturday so getting there early is a must to secure a good spot. Always remember to be respectful of the people around you, there is nothing worse than blocking someone elses view.
Thumper
UKAR Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days