Yeovilton Friday Arrivals

Re: Yeovilton Friday Arrivals

Postby CG3 on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 10:21 am

Thumper wrote:If you want to take photographs then yes you will need something to stand on as the mesh fence is pretty high, I am 5ft 8 and manage fine with a small 3 step decorators 'ladder', alternatively a Land Rover roof is spot on (only when you can drive down there though) :wink: Pyle Lane will be busy on Friday and packed Saturday so getting there early is a must to secure a good spot. Always remember to be respectful of the people around you, there is nothing worse than blocking someone elses view.

Cheers Thumper
CG3

Postby AMB on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:59 am

Mictheslik wrote:Looks to be the same as before to me. Schedule 2 (the prohibition of foot passengers) only applies to the bridle way closure. Should still be able to walk down the closed roads as these are in schedule 1.

.mic

....but the roads will be closed off for miles around, so nowhere to leave your car anywhere within walking distance. Enjoy your marathon mic! :whistle:
Adrian
AMB

Postby Thumper on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 11:28 am

AMB wrote:
Mictheslik wrote:Looks to be the same as before to me. Schedule 2 (the prohibition of foot passengers) only applies to the bridle way closure. Should still be able to walk down the closed roads as these are in schedule 1.

.mic

....but the roads will be closed off for miles around, so nowhere to leave your car anywhere within walking distance. Enjoy your marathon mic! :whistle:

I can't even find what roads they are talking about in some cases. Bridgehampton Road? Cypress House Road? Hollingthorpe Lodge? Never heard of them, neither has Google or my paper map. Viewing from outside, ignoring whether it's right or wrong is now utterly pointless, there's tighter security than anything to do with the Royal Family. The only way of achieving it would be to park in Yeovil and get a taxi to the closest place in Yeovilton and then walk. This would be half sensible if you got a group of 4 or 5 people to share the taxi cost.
Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Postby NKC-135A on Thu 09 Jul 2015, 2:40 pm

A post on the Net from someone who called in briefly at Yeovilton today said that they were restricting access, to both approaches to the runway even for people on foot. Can anyone confirm this. It appears that there were airshow inbounds today including the Team Aquilla.
NKC-135A

Postby Mictheslik on Thu 09 Jul 2015, 5:08 pm

AMB wrote:

.mic

I've always walked from the bus stop in Ilchester before....its a pleasant stroll through the countryside!

If they are stopping foot traffic at the road blocks then someone should show them the council closure document!
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?
Mictheslik

Postby Thumper on Thu 09 Jul 2015, 5:14 pm

Looks like it will be a case of turn up and see. I do know when I went to the Friday Photocall in 2013 I came across the first army cadet 'road block' by Queen Camel and they were turning away cyclists and walkers. To be honest, I am not sure how they are going to achieve turning people away when the Photocall offers tickets on the gate this year, they cannot just stop people attending an event, but then again that means they will not stop people getting through the blocks who say they are buying tickets but actually don't... they are really going to need to be on their toes with a lot of security if they want to eradicate all 'freeloaders' this year!! What I can tell you is "The White Post Inn" do lovely food and drink, have a balcony and it looks down on the airfield, albeit from a good few miles away, I still managed to get some photographs from there in 2012 though! If you want grade A photographs though... pay to get in, it's really the only way now.

Saudi Hawks

Commando Assault

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Postby ryde-on-time on Tue 14 Jun 2016, 1:27 pm

Thought about going to the Yeovilton arrivals this year and wondered if anyone could confirm whether steps are allowed in the viewing enclosure?

Reading threads it looks like it would be difficult to guarantee a spot at the front but with some steps I'm quite happy to be at the back, it also means I can move around (used to do this at Waddington for instance)
ryde-on-time

Postby 81TFW on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 11:02 pm

The worst aspect for me is the well named Carmageddon trying to get in. It wound me up so much a couple of years ago I swore I'd never go again, but I'm long weekend off for Yeovilton this year and I've weakened. If the access is still the same free for all as it was before then that really will be it for me.
81TFW

Postby st24 on Thu 16 Jun 2016, 8:38 am

81TFW wrote:The worst aspect for me is the well named Carmageddon trying to get in. It wound me up so much a couple of years ago I swore I'd never go again, but I'm long weekend off for Yeovilton this year and I've weakened. If the access is still the same free for all as it was before then that really will be it for me.

That and the almost archaic insistence on opening the gates bang on time with thousands of people charging the gates at once. Barmy. Open up earlier!!! :mad:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby 81TFW on Thu 16 Jun 2016, 3:20 pm

Park near the track is my advice. The further you are from the track the later you'll get in, irrespective of whether you're in the front row or the back.
81TFW

Postby Stagger2 on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 4:43 pm

Take an old car, Jump the start, stop for nothing...he who dares, wins!...Rodders. :loser:
Fear nothing, as being second through the gate is just the 1st of the Losers!! :yahoo:
Stagger2

Postby trebleone on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 11:09 pm

The sad thing is that the "carmageddon" could be solved so easily with a modicum of common sense on the part of the "marshals" in the holding car park - instead of parking the early arrivals in ranks to right and left of the track, they could simply line them up, two abreast in a column along the track (I suspect that it's long enough to hold the number anticipated) and when the gates open, control alternate filtering into a single line through the gate. The result would be a smooth flow onto the base and elimination of the anger and frustration felt by those caught up in the melee.
trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Postby Pablo on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 9:58 am

Hi folks,

Just having read through this thread, a quick reminder that Arrivals Day is an ADVANCE TICKETS ONLY event, with no tickets available on the day. More information can be found here - http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/features/yeovilton-air-day-2016/arrivals-day

Thanks.
Pablo

Postby 81TFW on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 9:17 am

Off to an encouraging start, we're queuing two by two up the approach track rather than being spread out as previously. And the first Commando Assault practice is happening.

Confirming another thread, there is security everywhere, including dogs. Bit OTT if you ask me.
81TFW

Postby duffspeed on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 12:30 pm

Red Arrows just flew over Daventry in a south-westerly direction. Bound for Yeovilton perhaps?
duffspeed

Postby 81TFW on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 12:30 pm

Worked a lot better than previously. A third queue formed alongside us, but they were held back until the first two queues had gone in. Lots of stewards for parking. Much better all round.
81TFW

Postby Andyperkins on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 1:02 pm

duffspeed wrote:Red Arrows just flew over Daventry in a south-westerly direction. Bound for Yeovilton perhaps?

They are based out of Cardiff this weekend so is there any reason for them to head to Yeovilton today?
Andyperkins

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 2:06 pm

Posted earier in the wrong section , so .......

Dutch F-16 ( callsign POLLY01 ) should have arrived recently.
Currently got LOP26 ( RAF Tucano ) inbound.

If anyone's down there with a scanner & isn't already aware , they're using 234.30
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby AlexC on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 4:27 pm

'No opportunity to view the static aircraft' !!! In the days that I used to go, well that was the main reason for going. That and the opportunity to leisurely walk the line of helicopters, plus cross the runway to view and photograph the flying display aircraft shortly after they had arrived. Used to stay until the early evening. Fings definitely ain't wot they used to be!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby MikeyB on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 5:16 pm

Just seen one of the Bronco Demo Team's Shorts Skyvans fly over my house plus two Pitts Specials, one of which was Rich Goodwin's.
My YouTube channel of all sorts (well mostly aviation): http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgcEz-y6zzkh6ueBQH6Qvzw
MikeyB

Postby The Baron on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 5:51 pm

MikeyB wrote:Just seen one of the Bronco Demo Team's Shorts Skyvans fly over my house plus two Pitts Specials, one of which was Rich Goodwin's.

I think they're both Rich Goodwin's. He has one flying and one on static tomorrow I believe. The Skyvan was up earlier too with the Bryza.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby frank on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 9:24 pm

AlexC wrote:'No opportunity to view the static aircraft' !!! In the days that I used to go, well that was the main reason for going. That and the opportunity to leisurely walk the line of helicopters, plus cross the runway to view and photograph the flying display aircraft shortly after they had arrived. Used to stay until the early evening. Fings definitely ain't wot they used to be!

That's been the case for at least the last two years I believe
frank

Postby AlexC on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 9:22 am

frank wrote:That's been the case for at least the last two years I believe

I thought that someone above said that there was no opportunity to view the static aircraft?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Jakesplanes on Tue 30 May 2017, 4:48 am

Should be a nice arrivals day this year, i'm especially looking forward to the MB Meteors. Look forward to racing you, i mean seeing you all there.
IG profile "jakesplanes"
Jakesplanes

Postby Go4Long on Tue 30 May 2017, 1:55 pm

Jakesplanes wrote:Should be a nice arrivals day this year, i'm especially looking forward to the MB Meteors. Look forward to racing you, i mean seeing you all there.

I purchased an arrivals day ticket as well. I'm flying over for Air Tattoo and was originally just planning on some spotting in the week before the show, heading to the loop for the Monday Tuesday, but saw this show and figured why not add another show to the list.

Not sure if the arrivals will be worth the cost or not, but at the end of the day you only live once.
Go4Long

PreviousNext

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days