Buses running?

Buses running?

Postby StuWeston on Fri 25 Jul 2014, 2:09 pm

Hi all,
will be catching the bus there tomorrow from Yeovil Bus station, just want to ask where do they drop you?
thanks
Sony A37
Tamron SP 150-600mm
Somerset.
StuWeston

Re: Buses running?

Postby HMS Seahawk on Fri 25 Jul 2014, 3:32 pm

Timetables are on the RNAS Yeovilton Air Day website and state that buses stop opposite the museum. I'll be on the bus from/to Yeovil.Approximately a half hour service from 0830 to 1140 then restarts at 1435. The last one back to Yeovil leaves outside the museum at 1800 hrs. £2.30 single & £5 return.
HMS Seahawk

Postby StuWeston on Fri 25 Jul 2014, 3:38 pm

great thanks, just had a look and hoping to get the earliest bus 0835!
Sony A37
Tamron SP 150-600mm
Somerset.
StuWeston

Postby Rule 27 on Fri 25 Jul 2014, 5:36 pm

HMS Seahawk wrote:£2.30 single & £5 return.

Novel pricing structure... :whistle:
Rule 27

Postby HMS Seahawk on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:22 am

First bus out of Yeovil was a single deck bus and was rather busy but we managed to get everyone on board. People were left behind on the return from the Airshow at 1730 and the bus was crammed full and it got very hot on board. Why didn't the bus company put on double deck buses and switch single deck buses to other routes?

Anyway will do the same again rather than queue to get in and out of the car parks.

How did you get on StuWeston?
HMS Seahawk

Postby 5944 on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 2:02 pm

HMS Seahawk wrote:First bus out of Yeovil was a single deck bus and was rather busy but we managed to get everyone on board. People were left behind on the return from the Airshow at 1730 and the bus was crammed full and it got very hot on board. Why didn't the bus company put on double deck buses and switch single deck buses to other routes?

Anyway will do the same again rather than queue to get in and out of the car parks.

I got the second bus from Yeovil Junction, which met the first train from London. 90 people in the queue, about 70 managed to get on the bus. I left just before 4pm and got the bus to Pen Mill then walked to Junction, just so I could be certain I would get home at a decent hour.

They really need to put on more buses for something like this. Not just double deckers, an extra couple of single deckers would help. And run more at the end of the show! I'd like to know how the people who couldn't get on the 5.30 bus got home!

Postby HMS Seahawk on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 3:05 pm

The last bus returning from the show was at 1800 hrs presumably those left behind got on that.
HMS Seahawk

Postby StuWeston on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 4:43 pm

HMS Seahawk wrote:First bus out of Yeovil was a single deck bus and was rather busy but we managed to get everyone on board. People were left behind on the return from the Airshow at 1730 and the bus was crammed full and it got very hot on board. Why didn't the bus company put on double deck buses and switch single deck buses to other routes?

Got on the first bus, was sat right at the front on the single seat by the bus driver, no problems at all!
Sony A37
Tamron SP 150-600mm
Somerset.
StuWeston

Postby centaurus18 on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 9:24 pm

Not seen double deckers in Yeovil for years... there were times when these babies were our mode of transport...

Southern National 347 - C909 GYD by Solenteer, on Flickr

16 seating and 5 standing - you remember these things as you learnt to count the bums on seats :)
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'
centaurus18

Postby LittleRedTrain on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:53 pm

Disappointed to hear that Yeovilton repeated last year's mistakes with the buses.

As a non-driver I used the bus from Yeovil Junction last year and had exactly the same problems. One single decker meeting two 6 car trains, those that did manage to get on sat sweltering whilst the rest of the queue dug out the appropraite change to pay the driver.

Then had to leave before the end of the Commando Assault to make sure I could get on the last bus back to Junction at 1730 (again a single decker which left people behind). I think they did have the sense to send some of the later Pen Mill buses to the Junction (possibly facing a passenger revolt if they didn't).

I e-mailed them after the show about the problems and they replied 'we will discuss your concerns with the bus company in due course and let you know the outcome for future arrangements', which they never did.
When I saw the bus timetable this year was exactly the same, I decided to give Yeovilton a miss and go for Farnborough instead.

Yeovilton could learn a lot from Farnborough. They run double-deck shuttle buses to/from 3 stations. They don't bother with a timetable, they just keep running until everyone has been delivered.
Also, the buses are free, so they can be loaded as quickly as possible, without everyone having to pay when boarding. It's also common sense to incentivise public transport use to reduce traffic and parking problems.

I hope that they can sort their act out for next year, as a non-Farnborough year, Yeovilton is a top-quality show that I easily can get to instead (Dunsfold, of course, being completely inaccessible by public transport :sad: )

--
Daniel
LittleRedTrain

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days