Yeovilton 2015 (Participation Thread)

Yeovilton 2015 (Participation Thread)

Postby MRTT on Tue 23 Sep 2014, 6:38 pm

RNAS Yeovilton International Air Day 2015 will be held on Saturday 11th July- a lot earlier than this year! :smile:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey
MRTT

Re: Yeovilton 2015 (Participation Thread)

Postby Pen Pusher on Tue 23 Sep 2014, 6:44 pm

Saturday is the 12th of July and it's Flying Legends weekend. :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby MRTT on Tue 23 Sep 2014, 7:06 pm

Pen Pusher wrote:Saturday is the 12th of July and it's Flying Legends weekend. :biggrin:

Brian

Are you sure Brian? Just checked my laptop calendar and it says 11th is the Saturday.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey
MRTT

Postby TYPHOON3 on Tue 23 Sep 2014, 8:08 pm

Pen Pusher wrote:Saturday is the 12th of July and it's Flying Legends weekend. :biggrin:

Brian

That's this years calendar you are looking at (2014)
TYPHOON3

Postby Pen Pusher on Tue 23 Sep 2014, 8:25 pm

My printed calendar for 2015 is showing Saturday as the 12th, done a Google check correct Saturday is the 11th. Ooops. I think I get a new calendar tomorrow.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby MRTT on Tue 23 Sep 2014, 8:33 pm

Pen Pusher wrote:My printed calendar for 2015 is showing Saturday as the 12th, done a Google check correct Saturday is the 11th. Ooops. I think I get a new calendar tomorrow.

Brian

Oops! I would get a new one if I were you. :lol:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey
MRTT

Postby Wissam24 on Wed 24 Sep 2014, 8:16 am

What a mistake to make!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Finningley Boy on Wed 24 Sep 2014, 2:20 pm

I frankly find it absurd that the largest militarily organised airshow next year will be organised by the Royal Navy and not the R.A.F. or for that matter, the U.S.A.F.

Especially given the comparative far fewer resources of the F.A.A.

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Postby st24 on Wed 24 Sep 2014, 4:38 pm

Finningley Boy wrote:I frankly find it absurd that the largest militarily organised airshow next year will be organised by the Royal Navy and not the R.A.F. or for that matter, the U.S.A.F.

FB

And given the lack of European events next year it's managed to clash with the largest warbird event... :wall:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby Cyril Dorricott on Sat 27 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm

Finningley Boy wrote:I frankly find it absurd that the largest militarily organised airshow next year will be organised by the Royal Navy and not the R.A.F. or for that matter, the U.S.A.F.

FB

Yeovilton air day is a civillian organised gig, isn't it?
Cyril Dorricott

Postby Finningley Boy on Sat 27 Sep 2014, 10:45 pm

Cyril Dorricott wrote:

FB

Yeovilton air day is a civillian organised gig, isn't it?

I don't think it is, Naval staff checking tickets and carrying out security checks on punters at the gate, on hand to answer questions, home based equipment on display with service personnel on hand, focus on R.N.A.S. Yeovilton in programme and forward by the Station Commander/Commandant complete with Fleet Air Arm focus in the flying. They may have some civilian staff involved with air day management just as has been the case with R.A.F. at homes of recent, but I certainly wouldn't suggest that the Yeovilton Air Day was a civilian event.

FB
Finningley Boy

Postby Cyril Dorricott on Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:59 am

Maybe not a civillian event, but organised by a civillian committee. The RAF may have plenty of time to organise such things, the Royal Navy and WAFU's are busy, hard-working military units.
Cyril Dorricott

Postby Trenethick on Mon 29 Sep 2014, 3:09 am

Cyril Dorricott wrote:Maybe not a civillian event, but organised by a civillian committee. The RAF may have plenty of time to organise such things, the Royal Navy and WAFU's are busy, hard-working military units.

Actually a civilian company based in Barnstable, North Devon
Trenethick

Postby Finningley Boy on Mon 29 Sep 2014, 1:04 pm

Cyril Dorricott wrote:Maybe not a civillian event, but organised by a civillian committee. The RAF may have plenty of time to organise such things, the Royal Navy and WAFU's are busy, hard-working military units.

I'm sure the Royal Navy are very busy people and I'm sure they do have a civilian company to administer the plans and policy for their air days at Yeovilton and Culdrose each year. But I also said in my previous post that all military airshows per se are run the very same way now. It is still the respective service which is the clearly identified sponsor whether the airshow is identified with the Navy or the Air Force. But as you will have seen at each such event, uniformed personnel are very much involved on the ground and in the air. So in that respect, the Navy visibly has a lot of slack, shall we say, to employ personnel on their own air days, as of course is the case with the R.A.F. events, such as they remain, just Cosford next year. Speaking of which, in 2015 the Fleet Air Arm will be organising twice as many airshows as the R.A.F. admittedly a first, as for the light blue service they'll doubtless be engaged in operations against IS. To what degree, however, is subject to whichever political line up forms the Government beyond May 2015, of course.

Best Regards,

FB
Finningley Boy

Postby VLAD on Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:43 pm

FB is on the right track. Air Day is very much a joint venture between the RN and a civilian company and the event would probably cease to exist under any other form of arrangement. For planning purposes, the RN take the lead on all aviation related matters and the civilian company takes the lead on crowd side arrangements and commercial activities but both parties are supported by one another to deliver the event. Command and control of the event is undertaken by the RN and the financial risk is undertaken by the civilian company. I hope that gives folks a better understanding. :smile:
VLAD

Postby Finningley Boy on Wed 01 Oct 2014, 9:22 pm

Vlad,

thanks for the insight, I know that civilians are very much at the heart of the organisation of militarily represented, or as so described, military sponsored airshows, but wasn't quite sure of the capacity and extent of their involvement.

FB
Finningley Boy

Postby MRTT on Fri 24 Oct 2014, 5:50 pm

As its the last year of the Sea King I am hoping we will see a Farewell display or flypast, what does everybody else think?
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey
MRTT

Postby Wissam24 on Fri 24 Oct 2014, 6:15 pm

Couldn't agree more. From both branches.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Cyril Dorricott on Fri 24 Oct 2014, 6:55 pm

The Sea King retires from British service in 2018.
Cyril Dorricott

Postby farnboroughrob on Sat 25 Oct 2014, 12:14 pm

BrizeWatcher wrote:As its the last year of the Sea King I am hoping we will see a Farewell display or flypast, what does everybody else think?

Would be good to see a static line up of all the available marks, might be the last time we see a operational HC4, with maybe a German and Belgian example. Would be nice to also see a formation of ten or so.
farnboroughrob

Postby MerlinJon on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 8:17 am

farnboroughrob wrote:
BrizeWatcher wrote:As its the last year of the Sea King I am hoping we will see a Farewell display or flypast, what does everybody else think?

Would be good to see a static line up of all the available marks, might be the last time we see a operational HC4, with maybe a German and Belgian example. Would be nice to also see a formation of ten or so.

There is only a small amount left at VL so a large formation certainly won't be happening.
MerlinJon

Postby Cyril Dorricott on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 10:04 am

For those who like Sea Kings, maybe these plans afoot for RNAS Culdrose Air Day 2015 will be of interest.
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/KING-SKY-2015-4926381/about
Cyril Dorricott

Postby somerset on Sun 02 Nov 2014, 3:18 pm

That link won't open for me - what's the plan
somerset

Postby techniquest on Wed 12 Nov 2014, 6:22 am

Cyril Dorricott wrote:For those who like Sea Kings, maybe these plans afoot for RNAS Culdrose Air Day 2015 will be of interest.
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/KING-SKY-2015-4926381/about

Immediate name-clash problem: shouldn't that be King of the Sea? It's called a Sea King not a Sky King.
techniquest

Postby TBPhoto on Thu 25 Dec 2014, 11:11 pm

I got a piece of card in my mums home-made Christmas Crackers saying 'RNAS Yeovilton Air Day tickets booked!', now that is one Christmas cracker!! And one very happy teen! I can't wait!
Nikon D7100
Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD
Nikon AF-S Nikon 50mm f/1.8G
Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC HSM
TBPhoto

Next

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days