Culdrose 2015

Re: Culdrose 2015

Postby vulcan57 on Thu 30 Jul 2015, 7:00 pm

HMS Seahawk wrote:Good day all round, weather unusually good for Culdrose! Static a bit poorly laid out and difficult to photograph with barriers close. Very good flying programme and a bit of drama with Wildcat "JV579" seemingly getting swung around by the wind upon taxiing in and the wing touching the runway. No damage and everyone okay thankfully. The 3 ship Gnat's also suffered from the crosswinds with two of them getting rather close to each other early in the display. Great paint scheme on the Chinook, MiG-29 display was good as was the Swiss F-188 and towards the finale was the Sea Vixen.
have to agree with you about the static ,nearly impossible for photographs but over all very good.
vulcan57

Postby patrouille2001 on Thu 30 Jul 2015, 7:16 pm

Does anyone know if Planes TV were filming the show, was hoping for a live feed. :question: Cheers. Paul
patrouille2001

Postby Herkdriver on Thu 30 Jul 2015, 7:35 pm

Wow what a great show! I have never been to Culdrose before today. But for 15£ entry a very good flying display. The static was a bit thin and the barriers did make it difficult. But I'm sure the organizers think the public want to be closer to the aircraft. And surprisingly lots of sqn stands with patches to buy. 814 Sqn had some particularly good ones and good prices. The only disappointment was no 771 Sqn retirement patches or shirts. The flying display was excellent. The Mig-29 and the F-18 were spectacular as was the sea vixen. The only disappointing display was the Seafire. Very distant and higher than most other displays. All in all a very good day out. And amazing weather!
Todd
Herkdriver

Postby HMS Seahawk on Thu 30 Jul 2015, 8:06 pm

Herkdriver wrote:Wow what a great show! I have never been to Culdrose before today. But for 15£ entry a very good flying display. The static was a bit thin and the barriers did make it difficult. But I'm sure the organizers think the public want to be closer to the aircraft. And surprisingly lots of sqn stands with patches to buy. 814 Sqn had some particularly good ones and good prices. The only disappointment was no 771 Sqn retirement patches or shirts. The flying display was excellent. The Mig-29 and the F-18 were spectacular as was the sea vixen. The only disappointing display was the Seafire. Very distant and higher than most other displays. All in all a very good day out. And amazing weather!
Todd

Did you go into the 771 Sqn hangar? There were patches, a limited edition / squadron farewell rugby shirt, mugs and several other squadron souvenirs for sale. It was just inside the main gate on the right and was accessible from the main part of the showground.
HMS Seahawk

Postby DDM10 on Thu 30 Jul 2015, 9:25 pm

What a fantastic day! Best one since 2007 in my opinion. The Frecce Tricolori was excellent, some real tight formations and tricks that leave even the Red Arrows standing. The F-18 was also great, I think it had the edge on the Mig- just. The Wildcat added some taxiing drama too.

I want my money back though, I was guaranteed rain!
"Well Ted, as I said last time, it won't happen again."
DDM10

Postby 106500 on Thu 30 Jul 2015, 10:14 pm

Agree with all of the above comments; a great day. For me Sea Vixen definitely stole the show.This was closely followed by the F-18; a thunderous aggressive display which seemed closer than is usual. MIG 29 was great and yes the WW11 war bird incident was a bit worrying when witnessed, it did a 180 degree uncommanded pivot with port wing seemingly striking the ground. Pilot seemed to recover well though. Also Kittyhawk has to perform an extra fly past for visual undercarriage down check.

Postby MikeyB on Thu 30 Jul 2015, 10:21 pm

What a superb show!! My first ever Culdrose Air Day and I hope it's not my last! Considering that I missed Yeovilton for the first time in around 12 years, I was determined to make this 'smaller' Navy event. Clearly, the event is not as big as their colleagues in Somerset, but I have to say that the variety and quality of the flying display was not far off of any show that Yeovilton has ever offered. You had fast jets, helicopters, warbirds, classic jets and aerobatic display teams.

Yes, the static was a little thin, but for me, the flying more than made up for this! Plus, with international participation, fingers crossed that the team can build further in the future. Loved the Wildcat and Corsair too, two aircraft that are rarely seen away from Duxford, all the way over in the south west of Cornwall! :clap:

Weather was great and the team did a splendid job of showing off the Royal Navy; past and present! Was great to finally see a Royal Navy SAR demonstration for the first time, and most likely last time. Thank you to everyone at Culdrose for an excellent day! Fly Navy! :smile:
My YouTube channel of all sorts (well mostly aviation): http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgcEz-y6zzkh6ueBQH6Qvzw
MikeyB

Postby HMS Seahawk on Fri 31 Jul 2015, 7:29 am

Cyril Dorricott wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the 771 hangar will be open to the public for the first (and last) occasion on an Air Day.
Plus a couple of additions for the static.
Tornado and Typhoon of the RAF.

If you mean there present hangar you are correct, before that they were in C2 hangar now occupied by the Hawks. This was open on air days,they then moved down to the site where the ASaC7 Sea King's are before moving to their current hangar. This has not been open before on an air day as far as I know.
HMS Seahawk

Postby capercaillie on Fri 31 Jul 2015, 8:29 am

Absolutely top drawer show, excellent displays, nice and close, good show from the home team and fabulous weather to boot. First time visit to this show.

Would be nice to see a little more RAF presence even if only on static, although great to see the 9sqn 100 years special again and the traffic getting out was a little tricky, although I appreciate there is essentially only one road in. A 500 mile round trip in a day :sleepy: but well worth it.

Sea Vixen was sublime, that topside :drool: , MiG and F-18 great displays as ever and we could see the tailslide :grin: , and pleased to at last catch the anniversary Chinook and the Swordfish.

Well done Culdrose :clap:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby planesgalaxxyclacton on Fri 31 Jul 2015, 10:52 am

Brilliant show fantastic displays from the Frecce with the ever enthusiastic commentator the Swiss F-18 and the Sea vixen which was a brilliant way to close the show no complaints from me :clap:
planesgalaxxyclacton

Postby mikek on Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:27 pm

As above, brilliant show :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

pros:
nice static (highlight for me possibly the 5 x harriers in a line)
very good displays with wide variety. Stunt plane, variety of aerobatic teams (inc Frecce Tricolor), old days military to Mig29 & F-18
brilliant F-18 display
Mig tail slide entirely visible (not in cloud)
Fair amount of other interesting stuff on the ground & a few choice items being sold by crews
plenty of crowdline fence space & plenty of grass areas to sit.
£15 earlybird ticket £20 on the gate
£5 programme!!!!!

cons:
getting out
& even once out, it was heavy slow traffic. took an extra 2 1/2 hrs to get home compared to getting there
fairground (although I understand it's a family show, in the holidays, in Cornwall - so happy to live with it)

overall rating =

10/10
Handsomest UKAR member.
mikek

Postby MRTT on Fri 31 Jul 2015, 5:19 pm

Does anybody know what aircraft are still at Culdrose.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey
MRTT

Postby Herkdriver on Fri 31 Jul 2015, 5:24 pm

HMS Seahawk,
Yes I did find the 771 hangar answer and it was nicely laid out. Unfortunately I think it was so far removed from the main part of the show that I don't think the majority of the public even knew about it. But the winch ride and the exhibits in the hangar were excellent! As for the merchandise, I just found it surprising that the only special retirement items were a zippo lighter and a rugby top. I was hoping for a patch, T-shirt, or polo shirt. I know it's a minor thing and I really enjoyed the show and the SAR demo with a 771 Sea King was great. Just wish they had made more disbandment or retirement stuff.

Todd
Herkdriver

Postby CrowdlinePhotography on Fri 31 Jul 2015, 6:23 pm

Superb day. My first and certainly won't be last. I certainly agree with someone's comment about the event being smaller than Yeovilton and that's clear however the atmosphere's still there. Fewer enthusiasts and more holiday makers but that's understandable. A great flying programme which in my opinion challenges those of a bigger size. My day was made even better when I got Chris Gotke and George Bacon's autograph.
CrowdlinePhotography

Postby DDM10 on Fri 31 Jul 2015, 11:21 pm

£5 programme!!!!!

That's about right for an air day programme, bought one at yeovilton, couldn't bring myself to buy another, so borrowed the guy's next to me.

If you think that's bad, the Red Arrows stand were trying to sell bookmarks for £5!

Was presently surprised that the Warrens pasties were only £3.10... so I had three!

Good value for money overall at £15 a ticket in advance.
"Well Ted, as I said last time, it won't happen again."
DDM10

Postby HMS Seahawk on Sat 01 Aug 2015, 6:02 am

Herkdriver wrote:HMS Seahawk,
Yes I did find the 771 hangar answer and it was nicely laid out. Unfortunately I think it was so far removed from the main part of the show that I don't think the majority of the public even knew about it. But the winch ride and the exhibits in the hangar were excellent! As for the merchandise, I just found it surprising that the only special retirement items were a zippo lighter and a rugby top. I was hoping for a patch, T-shirt, or polo shirt. I know it's a minor thing and I really enjoyed the show and the SAR demo with a 771 Sea King was great. Just wish they had made more disbandment or retirement stuff.

Todd

Hi, The 771 Sqn hangar is not normally open on air day (since they moved to their current location), but it was shown on the map inside the programe. Understand what you are saying about it being a distance from the rest of the displays etc.

On the subject of souvenirs I picked up 2 different squadron patches and noted that there were 4 different versions on sale. there were also T- shirts with 771 Sqn markings on them (which I already had one of) and a 771 Sqn hoodie type thing. There were also some squadron prints of a Sea King and some mugs.

Maybe they had sold out of some stuff when you went there?
HMS Seahawk

Postby mikek on Sat 01 Aug 2015, 7:13 am

I did at least 3 or 4 circuits of (I thought) all the stands/displays etc chatting & buying any tat that took my fancy but never saw the 771 hangar which I would've loved to have seen. I happened to be on a special lookout for 771 squadron prints.

1 thing I especially like about the RNAS shows is the emphasis of demonstrating what they do on the base.
Handsomest UKAR member.
mikek

Postby HMS Seahawk on Sat 01 Aug 2015, 7:26 am

Not much good now I appreciate but if picked up a programme it had a map of the site and the 771 Squadron hangar was shown on it. Shame people missed out on it during the day.
HMS Seahawk

Postby mikek on Sat 01 Aug 2015, 7:59 am

HMS Seahawk wrote:Not much good now I appreciate but if picked up a programme it had a map of the site and the 771 Squadron hangar was shown on it. Shame people missed out on it during the day.

:surrender:
I did buy a programme (nice price!) for the display timings & to read later. As there is usually 1 thing something good I miss at shows I think I might at least check the map in future!

if I did have 1 slight criticism of the show it would be that some of the outdoors stands were rather tucked away. I'm sure their footfall suffered
Handsomest UKAR member.
mikek

Postby Hawkkeeper on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 7:34 pm

HMS Seahawk wrote:
Herkdriver wrote:HMS Seahawk,

Todd

Hi, The 771 Sqn hangar is not normally open on air day (since they moved to their current location), but it was shown on the map inside the programe. Understand what you are saying about it being a distance from the rest of the displays etc.

On the subject of souvenirs I picked up 2 different squadron patches and noted that there were 4 different versions on sale. there were also T- shirts with 771 Sqn markings on them (which I already had one of) and a 771 Sqn hoodie type thing. There were also some squadron prints of a Sea King and some mugs.

Maybe they had sold out of some stuff when you went there?

due to the current condition of C2 & C3 hangars the internal displays were moved to other areas, both C2 C3 were deemed not fit to allow general public in for airday, plus a new unit has moved into C2 so nowhere for their equipment to go to & us hawk guys in C3 had no power for full lighting & aircraft power, far to much damage to hangar electrical services. but we did have the east end doors open & got quite a number of lookers in.
Hawkkeeper

Postby UK Airshow Review on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 10:28 am

"Seahawk Supreme" - Peter Reoch travelled to Cornwall to report for UK Airshow Review.

Image Image Image Image Image
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Postby Finningley Boy on Mon 05 Oct 2015, 7:37 pm

Well it's that time of year, has anybody caught wind of when the next Culdrose Air Day is? And I trust I'm not tempting fate by asking. :hide:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Postby PeterR on Fri 23 Oct 2015, 1:54 pm

Thursday 28th July 2016! :up:
PeterR

Postby Wissam24 on Fri 23 Oct 2015, 3:17 pm

As mentioned here in the 2016 thread:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=70218
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Previous

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days