Cobham Hall ?

Cobham Hall ?

Postby patrouille2001 on Sat 09 May 2015, 8:38 pm

Hi Everybody
Does anyone know if Cobham Hall collection will be open on the Friday before the air show, I am planning on doing Middle Wallop and Fleet Air Arm Museums on the Friday.

Many Thanks
Paul :question:
patrouille2001

Re: Cobham Hall ?

Postby Thumper on Mon 11 May 2015, 12:06 pm

Cobham Hall only opens once a year, it is usually August. Give the FAAM a ring to find out when it is this year; Tel: +44 (0) 1935 840565
Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Postby Trenethick on Mon 11 May 2015, 6:41 pm

Thumper wrote:Cobham Hall only opens once a year, it is usually August. Give the FAAM a ring to find out when it is this year; Tel: +44 (0) 1935 840565

Cobham Hall open day is always in October, usually during the school half term holidays, this year it's due to be open on the 23rd subject to confirmation
HTH
BobT
Trenethick

Postby Trenethick on Mon 11 May 2015, 6:42 pm

Thumper wrote:Cobham Hall only opens once a year, it is usually August. Give the FAAM a ring to find out when it is this year; Tel: +44 (0) 1935 840565

Cobham Hall open day is always in October, usually during the school half term holidays, this year it's due to be open on the 23rd subject to confirmation
HTH
BobT
Trenethick

Postby Thumper on Mon 11 May 2015, 9:15 pm

October, yes, why I wrote August I have no idea because I was even looking at the email they sent me last year saying 23rd October! :facepalm:
Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Postby DOUGHNUT on Mon 29 Jun 2015, 2:04 pm

Have never understood the attitude of FAAM regarding Cobham Hall Store. I understand its purpose is a store hangar not a display hangar and to open it regularly, even once a month, causes problems with manpower etc. But why pick a midweek open day well away from any other events. OK its half term week, do the FAAM really expect that families visiting with children will understand the difference between the main main museum and the store. Surely better and far more profittable to open for small group guided tours on the day before the show , or even saw on the first Sunday on each month.
DOUGHNUT

Postby Trenethick on Mon 29 Jun 2015, 6:49 pm

DOUGHNUT wrote:Have never understood the attitude of FAAM regarding Cobham Hall Store. I understand its purpose is a store hangar not a display hangar and to open it regularly, even once a month, causes problems with manpower etc. But why pick a midweek open day well away from any other events. OK its half term week, do the FAAM really expect that families visiting with children will understand the difference between the main main museum and the store. Surely better and far more profittable to open for small group guided tours on the day before the show , or even saw on the first Sunday on each month.

The reason that Cobham Hall opens when it does is that it's been proven over the last few years that it's the right week to open. As for opening on the day prior to Air Day, it always used to, however year on year the numbers attending dropped off until it became unviable. Organised groups are still able to visit during the week and have guided tours by booking with the museum direct.
Since my last post, I am told that there will be no public open day this year due to several large exhibits being put in the store and cutting down the available space for large numbers of people to circulate, for more information or to book a group tour please contact the museum.
Trenethick

Postby AMB on Wed 01 Jul 2015, 8:14 pm

Whilst visiting the FAA Museum in May, I was told by one of the museum staff that Cobham Hall can't currently be opened to the public as the centre of the hall is blocked up by a newly arrived Torpedo Boat on a trailer and it takes up a good deal of space and no room to allow the public in.Quite how long it will be there is unknown.
Adrian
AMB

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days