Yeovilton - a first timer

Yeovilton - a first timer

Postby Wes_Howes on Tue 30 Jun 2015, 11:43 am

Hi guys and girls,

I'll be heading down to Yeovilton for the first time this year, I was wondering if anyone could give me some hints and tips about the showground, car parking and the crowdline?

Cheers
Wes_Howes

Re: Yeovilton - a first timer

Postby sopwithflyer on Tue 30 Jun 2015, 1:00 pm

As no-one has replied yet I will add some content and move the thread up!

I go every year but am not a spotter or photographer but can get you started.

Have only parked in Phantom car park.. Its fine, pretty bumpy though so best leave your Ferrari at home. There is then a walk of 400 yards or so to the gate, these gates never open before time.

Photography is mainly into the sun and the crowdline is quite small so fills quickly and there is the mandatory spotter race (similar to the mascots race http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mas ... 44D42C0BF4 ) when the gates open to get to the front. In fact watching one fall over the cattle grid was the high-light for my grandson a few years back.

Static is usually quite small so fairly compact but with the show looking great this year I guess much more of the ground space will be used.

Traffic is not usually too bad when I usually arrive (0800 ish) and don't generally have a problem. Hope you enjoy the show.
sopwithflyer

Postby countryman on Sun 05 Jul 2015, 8:29 pm

I'm also a Yeovilton first timer and interested in knowing a bit more about the Phantom car park. Other threads have talked about the car parks being a bit of a walk but this thread mentions only 400 yds.

I also came across reference to some mysterious field at the end of a runway ?

Looking forward very much to Yeovilton.
countryman

Postby sopwithflyer on Sun 05 Jul 2015, 8:42 pm

countryman wrote:I'm also a Yeovilton first timer and interested in knowing a bit more about the Phantom car park. Other threads have talked about the car parks being a bit of a walk but this thread mentions only 400 yds.

I also came across reference to some mysterious field at the end of a runway ?

Looking forward very much to Yeovilton.

Evening countryman..

Phantom car park is the field next to the B3151 coming from Ilchester it borders the base (see Google maps) I have never actually paced it out I said 400 yards as a rough guide. it may be a little more but if you start on Google street maps from Phantom and proceed up the 3151 to the entrance with the Lynx/Harrier gate guardians then that is the walk.

I Have always parked in Phantom so cant mention any other field or car parks with Knowledge, but there is another almost opposite with a similar walking distance.
sopwithflyer

Postby Andyperkins on Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:05 am

In previous years I have always ended up in the Sea Vixen car park which is very close to the main gates but last year some how I ended up in a car park that seemed to be a mile from the base, had to walk through three fields, a running track and finally a tree covered path that led up to the museum entrance.

This distance while a fair walk was fine for me but for my Dad it almost put an end to the day before it had started as he can't walk very far and this unexpected trek put him in a great deal of pain before we had even made it half way.

I really hope I don't end up in that car park again or I fear he might not make it at all :sad:
Andyperkins

Postby 197cup on Mon 06 Jul 2015, 4:59 am

Sounds like you ended up in the hurricane car park Andy, that's the car park I always end up in when arriving from the east.
197cup

Postby Andyperkins on Mon 06 Jul 2015, 8:10 am

Yes I think your right, no idea why I was directed into that one but this year will make sure I take the right turn.
Andyperkins

Postby THUNDERFACTORY on Mon 06 Jul 2015, 1:02 pm

Another roomie here looking to bust his Yeovilton Cherry. I have grandstand tickets which come with the on sure parking pass. Just curious if I wanted to secure a crowdline spot for friends do I still have to queu to get into the showground partake in the "running of the bulls"?
****** 1970 - 2006 ******
TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY!
THUNDERFACTORY

Postby countryman on Mon 06 Jul 2015, 1:22 pm

Many thanks for all the replies. Very helpful...Phantom looks pretty good to me.
countryman

Postby Mooshie1956 on Mon 06 Jul 2015, 7:10 pm

Another first timer with a question, if as it sounds there's a mad rush to get to the crowd line on opening, is that a case of chain your seat to the fence (not that I own one yet) then go have a look round the statics and tat stalls, or do the tat stalls in that I mean the display stalls stay open after the flying has finished.
I hoping that I can get a front line spot of the crowd line, only booked today so I only have a normal ticket. If I have to stay there all morning then no problem, just I would like a quick look at the stalls and statics before leaving for home.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-300 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens
Mooshie1956

Postby Andyperkins on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 9:05 am

Mooshie1956 wrote:Another first timer with a question, if as it sounds there's a mad rush to get to the crowd line on opening, is that a case of chain your seat to the fence (not that I own one yet) then go have a look round the statics and tat stalls, or do the tat stalls in that I mean the display stalls stay open after the flying has finished.
I hoping that I can get a front line spot of the crowd line, only booked today so I only have a normal ticket. If I have to stay there all morning then no problem, just I would like a quick look at the stalls and statics before leaving for home.

In my experience as soon as the flying is over they want you out, most of the stalls will already be packed up and gone but you might be able to manage a quick look around the static but you won't have long.
Andyperkins

Postby Thatch on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 10:12 am

Andyperkins wrote:
Mooshie1956 wrote:Another first timer with a question, if as it sounds there's a mad rush to get to the crowd line on opening, is that a case of chain your seat to the fence (not that I own one yet) then go have a look round the statics and tat stalls, or do the tat stalls in that I mean the display stalls stay open after the flying has finished.

In my experience as soon as the flying is over they want you out, most of the stalls will already be packed up and gone but you might be able to manage a quick look around the static but you won't have long.

So is it OK to chain your chair to the fence ? I'd no idea competition was so intense ... ,my plan was to bag a pitch , stick up a small PUP Tent and stash our gear inside (food coats etc) then peruse the stalls and static displays from early doors until the show starts ... is this a good plan or am I better staying put and waiting for the show to start ? Presumably people get up and leave the viewing areas to to look at things and buy food drinks etc during the day .. ?

Any advice on this as I'm a newbie too and this seems a good thread for Virgins !

Thatch
Thatch

Postby trebleone on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 10:33 am

Space on the crowd-line is very limited - if you do manage to get a spot at the fence and then leave your gear while you walk around, you'll likely get back to find it moved .... and I would suggest not to bother with the tent.
trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Postby Thatch on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 10:47 am

trebleone wrote:Space on the crowd-line is very limited - if you do manage to get a spot at the fence and then leave your gear while you walk around, you'll likely get back to find it moved .... and I would suggest not to bother with the tent.

Thanks for the advice, i wasn't going to take one until I saw the pictures of the crowds in previous years on the official website. There appeared to be lots of people with huge fishing style brollies and / or small PUP tents ..

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/~/media/roy ... n-GB&w=944

That said they're not the ones on the fence , I assume then if you have a fence line spot you have to stay there to "hold it" .... and possibly miss all the static displays ? I don't have a spare adult with me, just myself and my 2 boys.

If that's the case we will pitch further back and then we can leave to wander round the ground show without it being moved .
Thatch

Postby trebleone on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 11:02 am

The last two or three years, we've been in the foot queue from the car park well before the gates opened ... a very fast walk straight to the crowd-line only just managed to secure a spot on the fence and it very soon became crowded with people squeezing in around.

A little way back however, heading away from the hangars and statics towards the East entry/exit & Hunter car park, there is a slight rise in the ground - from here you'd get a view over the crowd and it would be a suitable place to pitch a small shelter.
trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Postby Andyperkins on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 11:14 am

trebleone wrote:The last two or three years, we've been in the foot queue from the car park well before the gates opened ... a very fast walk straight to the crowd-line only just managed to secure a spot on the fence and it very soon became crowded with people squeezing in around.

A little way back however, heading away from the hangars and statics towards the East entry/exit & Hunter car park, there is a slight rise in the ground - from here you'd get a view over the crowd and it would be a suitable place to pitch a small shelter.

I have never been one for sitting at the front and since the mid 90's have always sat on the raised bit of grass towards the far end near the taxi way where the VC10 was parked in 2013.

From here you get a pretty good view of the show but due to the VIP hospitality tent on the far left you can't really see the aircraft taxi into position.
Andyperkins

Postby IgnatiusJReilly on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 11:17 am

Thatch - During the 'commando assault', the people sat on the fence line are 'usually' fairly accommodating in letting kids work their way through to the fence to get a better view.
If the kids are polite and respectful they should, (and will in my experience), be found a space. It's a great feature of VLAD and I hope it continues.
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..
IgnatiusJReilly

Postby Thatch on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 11:24 am

trebleone wrote:The last two or three years, we've been in the foot queue from the car park well before the gates opened ... a very fast walk straight to the crowd-line only just managed to secure a spot on the fence and it very soon became crowded with people squeezing in around.

Thanks trebleone, that's good advice ... I'm not a photographer , and I don't think I will be arriving early enough (0830 eta ) to get in the rush for the front line either. Combine that with wanting to be able to to leave our pitch to explore the site , the raised ground area sounds better. Thinking carpark F Hunter will be our best option. I've heard this is one of the better carparks for congestion too ... although that remains unproven !

Thatch
Thatch

Postby Mooshie1956 on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 12:21 pm

Another thanks for the info re the raised area, I presume that it's not that far from the crowd line and a 150-600 lens will do the job.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-300 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens
Mooshie1956

Postby countryman on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:52 am

What would the view of the flying displays be like if one just stayed in the Phantom Car Park?
countryman

Postby capercaillie on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:59 am

countryman wrote:What would the view of the flying displays be like if one just stayed in the Phantom Car Park?

They'd all be inside your mind, mwuahahahaha. :ghost:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby Andyperkins on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 11:03 am

countryman wrote:What would the view of the flying displays be like if one just stayed in the Phantom Car Park?

Non existent.
Andyperkins

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days