VL 2015 - So, what did you all think??

VL 2015 - So, what did you all think??

Postby seacat192 on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 6:43 pm

What a great day!

Living locally (15-20 miles or so), I always look forward to Yeovilton, and I really enjoyed this years show.

Nice selection of aircraft in the static area, and what I felt was one of the best flying displays in recent years - not that previous ones had been poor by any stretch of the imagination.

Shame about the Norweigan MiG, but to be honest I'd forgot it wasn't there until after the display had finished. I would have thought that everything else that was due to be there had made it - be interested to know if that was the case.

I use the Grandstand, and so park on the airfield itself, so had a short wait until the gates opened at 0800, on base by 0810. Again, slight delays getting out, but this was due to the junction with the A303.

Well done VL :clap: :clap: :clap:

Roger
seacat192

Re: VL 2015 - So, what did you all think??

Postby captainfurious on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 8:01 pm

What a great show today!

For me the Huey was a great little surprise. I was off the crowd front line at the time but it seemed so close even from where I was.

Chinook was incredible as always as was Typhoon. Commando Assault started a little tame but wow did it pick up and the very end was awesome with all the helicopters at once.

Highlight for me - the USA crews. Being able to wander underneath and around the A10 was ace. It was almost as though they wanted us to have our last goodbye up close and personal. Sure it would have upset lots of photographers but that was a real nice touch. And big thanks to Globemaster crew who even at gone 6pm let us on-board. Great to have you guys back in force.
captainfurious

Re: VL 2015 - So, what did you all think?? Bloody Brilliant

Postby tankbuster on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 8:29 pm

I asked earlier in the week on whether I should go to Yeovilton or Duxford,. I chose VL and am I glad I did it was up there with the best and I've been going to shows for 50 years. Great selection of aircraft, static and flying. Lots of highlights and the finale was really good. Personal highlight was the patrulla aguila landing, I found myself clapping. Last year my display of the year was the Chinook, I think it just impossibly got even better and why did the Typhoon seem so much better. Overall a privilege to attend such a well run show.
Last edited by tankbuster on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby 2e1var on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 8:39 pm

I didn't really enjoy this year. Thought line up was okay, not great. Didn't have my family with me so so lost my spot on the crowd line when I needed the loo, usual poor photo's with the sun. Would have liked the Vulcan at the end of the day with better light. Legged it early to avoid the queues but still took 3 hours to get out the car park. Bit flat for me. Sorry.

Rich
UBC-15X, MVT-7100, MVT-8000, FTdX3000, FTM-100, IC-7300, IC-7100, ID-31E, FT-2DE
Sony a58, Tamron SP 70-300
2e1var

Postby sopwithflyer on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 8:39 pm

Good points.

Nice variety of aircraft, weather held out, Met some nice and interesting people and no traffic issues.

Bad points

Nothing really so well done VLAD
sopwithflyer

Postby 2e1var on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 8:41 pm

and my silly bald head now looks like a tomato cos I thought the sun wouldn't be out :(
UBC-15X, MVT-7100, MVT-8000, FTdX3000, FTM-100, IC-7300, IC-7100, ID-31E, FT-2DE
Sony a58, Tamron SP 70-300
2e1var

Postby davidjones533 on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 9:02 pm

Last edited by davidjones533 on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidjones533

Postby RichPittman on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 9:12 pm

Can't blame the sun, if you went in you can't moan about it if you already knew, car parking I went back to car and moved it to be the very 1st car out the field, as I wanted to be at west lands for the centenary aircraft to arrive this evening.

Good show especially when it ramped up towards the end,
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"
RichPittman
UKAR Staff

Postby Thumper on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 9:13 pm

I gave up queuing, I didn't arrive until after the flying had started and the queue was just horrendous and going nowhere so I chose to stay outside, naughty field until lunchtime and then a delightful pub with great food, cider and viewing for the rest of the day. We left as the commando assault started and got home easily.

I thought the show was actually very good, certainly topped other years I've been by a long way. Highlights for me was the V Formation, Rafales, Sea Vixen, Typhoon, Red Arrows, Spitfire duo and Chinook, the Rafales in particular with their large amounts of vapour and noise! The Vulcan solo I thought was just standard which is disappointing considering the hype over the final year and how other displays have been labelled as something special, however I hugely enjoyed watching the aircraft display without the commentary which has always been my biggest gripe with the Vulcan.

Can't say I was a fan of the ALCA or Super Etendards I'm afraid, just didn't do much for me. I was also disappointed that there was no Mustang display this year. It's a shame the queue to get in was so bad because I really wanted to see the Huey, sadly being outside meant I couldn't see it but could hear that wonderful blade slap, I also missed my favourite Yeovilton stalwart the Swordfish which was a shame. To be honest, once we figured out the MIG was a no show I wasn't that bothered because I enjoyed everything else so much. Even though I photographed away from the sun the lighting was very poor and the majority of my photographs are just silhouettes, the best light was actually when the Typhoon came out.

If they have a line up like that again I'll make sure I'm not working first thing so I can enjoy the entire show inside.
Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Postby Andyperkins on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 10:12 pm

2e1var wrote:and my silly bald head now looks like a tomato cos I thought the sun wouldn't be out :(

I made that mistake a few years ago at Kemble, didn't see the sun all day but still got badly burnt so no matter the weather I always make sure to wear a hat and put lotion on, came away today with just a bit of a burnt neck where I forgot to apply it.
Andyperkins

Postby ted633 on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 10:32 pm

Really enjoyed the day, arrived at about 9 after a short queue to get in, chair setup on the flight line at 9.30. Static was very good, much more varied than last year. Flying was superb, highlights being the Sea Vixen, Huey, French Role Demo, the Vulcan (Lots of howls!) and of course, the Commando demo. Very sad to have had to say goodbye to the Junglies, but it was a good farewell. Will we again see 14 choppers in one patch of sky?
Weather was better than expected and at first glance the photos seem to have come out very well, despite the ever changing light situation.

Bit sun burnt in places now and exhausted, but will definitely return next year
2018 - Season Premier, Fly Navy, Military Pageant, Yeovilton, RIAT, BHFoF, Dunsfold
ted633

Postby DDM10 on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 11:14 pm

What a great day! Weather was a bit cooler than the past two, which was welcome. Though the cloud base could have been a bit higher it wasn't too disruptive.

Despite leaving Truro at 5:30, we were a little later than normal due to road works, and got stuck in a 3mile queue though Ilchester at around 8:30. Took around 40minutes to get parked, but with 10000 cars arriving, if you get there a little later, you have to accept that.

I thought the Vulcan was excellent, some really great 'howls' and she really tore the air apart on the climbs, also there were thrilling moments where she looked as though she was going to roll right over! Seeing the V formation was a privilege. The fact that it was the last time she will ever fly at Yeovilton and possibly the last display I will see her, this really felt very fitting:
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” -that put a lump in my throat!

The finale of the finale, was incredible, the photo call, all the helicopters together, the Hawk and the giant explosion, all perfectly timed and executed. It really is a fantastic and unique way to close an air show! I really don't want to see the Sea Kings go!

As for getting out, we just loitered for as long as we could after, had another look around the static, and by the time we left the base the roads out were clear.

I really could go on and on, so much to see and do, you have to be in three places at once not to miss anything.
Bit disappointed they run out of Tribute though!
"Well Ted, as I said last time, it won't happen again."
DDM10

Postby sticks1404 on Sun 12 Jul 2015, 7:08 am

Enjoyable day with the family. Got there a little later than planned and had to queue to get into hunter but no biggie. Enjoyed a great display. The biggest shame though was getting home. We were parked in a side field in hunter car park. Returned to the car just at the end of the commando demo. The side field was like a free for all with the amount of cars trying to leave through the one exit into the main field. There was a gate in the side of the field which the guy who was looking after it refused to open (believe he was the owner of said field) so there we were queuing when the somebody walked by and said I know the guy will ask him to open the gate. The person in the gate opened the gate, unfortunately letting only his mate through. Which sparked a major argument between some of the drivers and the guy on the gate leadin to police intervention! There were reports people trying to force the gate open. After an hour and a half of going nowhere I walked to the main field to find only two traffic marshals standing around and chatting while countless queues of traffic were trying to merge. I asked if there was going to be any help in sorting the confusion in the side field and they replied that they hoped people would be nice and let one another out! (These people were being paid, after I suggested that more volunteers were needed). Thankfully after waiting just over two hours two police officers opened the fields side gate and we could finally get out. I've never known anything like it. Myself and the family got to RIAT every year etc and we have never had an issue. Thankfully we still have food and drink left for my sons who are 3 and 5 who couldn't understand why we were stuck. Great air show just a shame about the traffic management or should I say lack of it.

P.s not my First time to yeovilton never had problems before
sticks1404

Postby irnbru777 on Sun 12 Jul 2015, 7:18 am

Can't fault the day, left home at 6.30am and got into car park for 9.15am, parked just off the base at the Pyle Lane entrance.
Plenty to keep kids occupied, queues to walk through merlin disappeared during the day.
Left as the typhoon went up and watched on 15 minute walk back to car, straight out of the car park as the helicopter attack started and managed to watch it while driving through country lanes.
Arrived back home for 8pm - great day out for family and a 320 mile round trip.
Would have liked to see a Tornado display or even on static but couldn't grumble about anything, and advanced tickets getting a voucher for a programme was a nice touch
irnbru777

Postby countryman on Sun 12 Jul 2015, 8:48 am

My first time and a more friendlier air show I have yet to go to. Really liked the presence of the foreign planes and the rest of the static display. The low cloud was unfortunate as it curtailed both the Red Arrows display and also the Vulcan's. We saw it at Throckmorton in June and the higher cloudbase then really let it show her paces. The V flypast was superb as were those two delightful Vampires. The massed helicopters at the end was a masterstroke. The Typhoon redefines ear-splitting ! Great fun. But hey, parents, why so few children with ear-defenders ? Thought the 'universal' food and drink price list an excellent idea.

Logistically it was plain-sailing. Left Malvern at 06.15, my backroute in was perfect, parked up in Wessex and in the gate queue by 08.45. An afternoon 'lightbulb' moment and some judicious logistics meant that when we left straight after the Commando assault, we had exited the Wessex carpark and on the open road within minutes - very happy bunny.
countryman

Postby Tilney.G on Sun 12 Jul 2015, 9:41 am

Super day out, great static (loved being able to walk around the A-10's) and some great flying, Particularly enjoyed the Typhoon, Huey and the Sea Vixen. Commando assault lacked something to begin with but by the end was great with a nice way to end the day. Luckily not too sun burnt :smile:
Tilney.G

Postby Andyperkins on Sun 12 Jul 2015, 11:53 am

Probably the most enjoyable Air Day since 2011 for me, no issues parking up at 8:30 in Vixen (made sure I didn't end up in Hurricane this time) and the static was well spaced out and great selection, ended up making base camp near the E-3 and spent the day there enjoying the many excellent acts but my favs have to be the Vulcan (probably the best display I have seen with plenty of noise) the Sea Vixen, the four ship formation (truely awesome sight) the Huey (what a noise), the Typhoon (did he ever let off the reheat) and of course the Commando Assault was something not to be missed, got right up close for that and what an incredible sight/experience and nice to see the pyros going off this year :biggrin:

Getting out was the usual hour wait with countless mini queues all merging into each other making it a complete nightmare but wasn't in any rush and stopped in at the services on the way out for some dinner and was treated to the sight/sound of the French leaving and then the Typhoon being thrown about :smile:

Roll on next year.
Andyperkins

Postby Wissam24 on Sun 12 Jul 2015, 7:49 pm

I have to say that the FN demo will almost certainly be my act of the year. The sheer spectacle of having four powerful jets in the air at the same time was phenomenal. To have them all peeling off and performing displays like that was even better, and though RIAT is yet to come I think this particular display act will prove to be this year's best.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Mooshie1956 on Sun 12 Jul 2015, 9:31 pm

countryman wrote:My first time and a more friendlier air show I have yet to go to.

I wish I had been near you then as to be honest I felt the vast majority of the crowd were rude and ignorant. They were more than happy just to either stand or walk in front while trying to take pictures, push you out of the way etc etc, I've never seen it like that at other shows. It really spoilt the whole day for me and left me wishing that I had gone to Legends instead. I managed to get in and out of the base very easily, I don't know which car park I was in but it's opposite the main gate so I didn't have far to walk.I didn't enjoy queueing outside for almost an hour to get in 8am to 9am. Flying display was very good, and a good selection on the statics, not to much that you don't get time to see it all.
Will I go again, most likely I will but it will have to be an enclosure ticket for me.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens
Mooshie1956

Postby Wes_Howes on Sun 12 Jul 2015, 9:53 pm

After attending for the first time yesterday, all I can say is, I'm annoyed I haven't been before!

Got there pretty early, got a place at the front without having to run like some idiots I saw :loser: and the show was great. Having never witnessed the Commando Assault before, I think that would be my highlight, followed closely by the SEMs and the Sea Vixen. Great to see a Stringbag back in the air too, I hadn't taken a digital photo of one before yesterday! :shock: Best Vulcan howl I've heard for a while, especially on take off, just a shame the MiG couldn't make it.

No problems leaving either, was on the A37 heading north 15mins after leaving the car park at 18.15.

Verdict, will definitely be going again.

Wissam24 wrote:I have to say that the FN demo will almost certainly be my act of the year. The sheer spectacle of having four powerful jets in the air at the same time was phenomenal. To have them all peeling off and performing displays like that was even better, and though RIAT is yet to come I think this particular display act will prove to be this year's best.

If the Rafales had displayed a little closer to the airfield rather than Yeovil I'd have been more impressed.

Did the pilot of the AW609 end up with a horses head on his pillow after blowing a tyre? :lol:
Wes_Howes

Postby play it cool on Sun 12 Jul 2015, 11:03 pm

I really enjoyed the AW609 display - very quiet (not normally a good sign in my books :biggrin: ), yet very impressive. Hopefully we'll get to see more of this...

Other highlights were numerous - fantastic show, but the Super E's were just old school heaven.
play it cool

Postby sopwithflyer on Mon 13 Jul 2015, 6:32 am

Wes_Howes wrote:After attending for the first time yesterday, all I can say is, I'm annoyed I haven't been before!

Got there pretty early, got a place at the front without having to run like some idiots I saw :loser:

What are you trying to say? That I was right? lol http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mas ... 44D42C0BF4
sopwithflyer

Postby Logster on Mon 13 Jul 2015, 9:44 am

Hi all - excellent day I thought. Started with a sit in a long queue though as must have set off from Exeter later than normal (8.45) but was still on base at 10.30 so no real complaints. Excellent static and loved the fact that the A10s were open - my 7 year old was overwhelmed by the gun on the front and being able to walk underneath it!
USAF crew on the C17 really friendly as were the Nato guys - Snoop was particularly cool as he was telling his stories of being the gun sensor operator on an MC130!

Flying display was great, and no gaps this year! Particularly enjoyed the CHinook, Red Arrows, tiltrotor and the RAF Typhoon display this year is awesome - reminded me of the Italian one at RIAT last year. The French Navy were goodtoo, but as great as it was to see them in the air, I didn't think it was as good as the 2011 demo. But you can't argue with four jets in teh air at the same time like that.

Sea Vixen is a lovely aircraft and the formation was very good. Vampires I found a bit dull though.

Anyway, too many good displays to go into but well done VLN on a brilliant day, lots of variety and a nice relaxed friendly day.

Matt
Logster

Postby st24 on Mon 13 Jul 2015, 11:51 am

To my shame it's 4 years since I've been to Yeovilton (due to the crazy Friday restrictions) and unbelievably 9 years since I've been on base. Saturday I left thinking - why have I left it so long?! sun position aside it really is a first rate show and this year more so as thanks to the return of the yanks and the Westland celebrations the airfield was packed with aircraft, many rare and of high quality. I was annoyed by the hour wait between car park and main gate opening but that frustration quickly subsided as the sun was out and the static presented reasonable, not brilliant, but reasonable shooting opportunities, as did the flight lines. Just that there were too many people in by then! As expected, the hangar displays and general PR was great - I find the senior service have always been masters at this.
No doubt the crowd was huge and movement at the front was difficult, though away from here amenities were ample and I saw few queues other than for ice creams and burgers.
I can't recall a display that I hummed a brevet cable copyright "meh" to; most of the flying was close and quality with a lot of crowd-on passes. That said, I did shoot static during the Reds, Spanish and Jordanians but all looked good. I did think how good the Spanish 7 ship landing would look from the sheep field though...
Personal highlights were Rich Goodwin- rapidly becoming an air show super star, the Sea Vixen - very nicely positioned with a couple of non-exertive rolls now too and that wonderful Avon screech, the French - SuEs in particular with their wing tip vortices and French flair including an opposition high speed/slow speed pass and much use of arrestor hooks -great stuff!! AW609, though not an in your face exciting machine was flown very nicely with some multi-angle pirouettes and a short stay on the ground for some close up shots. Great to see the 'fish back and loving the new scheme, and the Czech mate even got a UKAR mention, great to see a big Zlin thrown around, again an intimate display for the crowd. Biggest surprise, now I've finally seen the crowd ready full version was the RAF Typhoon. We've finally got a credible display to rate against the Rafale. Pacy, aggressive, non-stop noisy action, I'll have no problem with him winning the fast jet trophy at RIAT this year following years of ill-deserved wins against much better competition.
From the '70s when I can remember Wessex 5s, Sea King HAS2s and Hunter GA11s, through to the introduction of the HC4s and Harriers, then to now as we see off the junglies and the air support consists of a laughable single Hawk (I'm sure the French added even more gusto to their set piece as if to rub in our dire lack of fixed wing assets) the finale commando assault has always been airshow gold. The crowd were some of the most appreciative I've ever seen at a British airshow and you could almost feel the admiration and respect they have for "our boys" (and girls now of course!) Fabulous stuff and with the addition of flares and even more pyros (Apache pair too were :up: ) this really is a must see spectacle. Long may it continue.
It's been a while Yeovilton, but you delivered in heaps for me. :worship:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby tattmaylor on Wed 15 Jul 2015, 9:37 pm

2nd year at Yeovil for me. I did the grandstand last year (gift from father in law). This year I went with the masses and my 8yo son, his mate and his dad. Funny, last year my lad got a bit bored, but he was trapped with me in the grandstand :-) This year he was much happier but got over excited, over tired and emotional then spend 2 hours wanting to go on rides :-/ ...and complaining when there were no explosions. Also he quite rightly was desperate to see the (3 lots) of ground action throughout the day and I don't think my 46yo shoulders can handle much more of that. He did enjoy it, but I enjoyed it less. Ah, the father v. young son dilemma. Sounds cruel but think I'm going without him next year.,,until he becomes more of an enthusiast (tbh, he didn't ask to go).

DISPLAY. Even taking into account the large amount of cancellations last year, the line up this year was much more exciting as a whole. Great static. Walking under A10s, seeing the big C17 and looking up it's arse were highlights. Fun seeing a Sea King blow some barriers over at take off as well :-).

Many flying highlights. Nice the Vulcan put it's foot down a bit ...but didn't really test the G's on turns. Hope they push the manoeuvres a bit more at RIAT.

The Sea Vixen was amazing. I always though she looked good in pictures but she was even more beautiful in the air. Really great display and again wasn't afraid to put it through it's paces. Shame I was buying ice creams (etc.) to watch it properly. Would love to see again. I am in love :-). Great to see her with the Vulcan as well. Vampires a bit underwhelming. Think there is sometimes a bit too much formation flying with pairs that don't have great turning circles. A pair could split up more and keep the sky busier and better passes.

Red Arrows really tight as usual and the second part was a great example of keeping the sky full of action. Brilliant pace! The Spanish team had an impossible act to follow (although the group landing, with lights, was quite emotive). ALCA was also surprisingly fun.

Bit fed up I missed the Anson and Huey (see kids explanation above) Anson sounded great from where I was. Kids loved the Apaches and ground stuff. Pity the Black Cats display looks very subdued compared to Lynxs last year. Will they build up to that kind of display or was that wind issues?

Biggest highlights for me were the last hour or so. Chinook display had my hypnotised. Amazing, not seen a proper display before. Add to that the Typhoon that did proper full on chest vibrating display. Didn't close my mouth through whole display.

Finale was much better than last year (not just for seeing so many helicopters together) as it was much tighter and all the timings worked better and we got the explosion.

Was expecting more from Rafales and Etendards. They seemed to spend too much time out of sight. Thought the idea of 4 would be more action, great when they were in front of us and together but not sure what I expected. I saw a tornado mock attack years back at Waddington, with jets just back from the gulf, and thought we'd get that.

Overall great display. Pity I couldn't concentrate on it more without being distracted. Ah well, RIAT without kids on Sat :-).

Traffic. Hit it just right in morning 8.20 at ilminster. Although didn't expect such a people queue. Surely that should be quicker than car parking. Left after 6.00 and was lucky in our car position to get out pretty quick.

Although no where near as lucky as my tire deflating as I arrived home. My MOT on Friday had noted a nail in my tire so was lucky it happened when I got home not in a field near Yeovil.
tattmaylor

Next

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days