Yeovilton Air Day 2016

Re: Yeovilton Air Day 2016

Postby euangregg1 on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 4:20 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:
capercaillie wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:
capercaillie wrote:
euangregg1 wrote:Since their over in the UK what do you think the chances are of a surprise appearance from an F35 :shock:

And steal RIAT's big debut act, I'd say between zero and nonewhatsoever. :grin:

Thet'll be the debut act that debut over Rosyth today , then..... :lol:

I think you'll find that's not called an airshow. :roll: There was probably more people when they arrived on Wednesday, do you want to call that their debut as well? :question:

It was an organised event involving an organised flypast , though , ergo a debut. :tongue:

Play nicely chaps :grin:
- Maybe Goodwood
- Yeovilton
- Bournemouth
- Jersey
- Old Sarum
euangregg1

Postby Harvo266 on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 5:19 pm

For anyone interested the Typhoons that arrived at Cardiff were ZK352 and ZK354 so either one of them will be used.
Shuttleworth SP
Torbay
Cosford
Weston
Yeovilton
RIAT
FIA
Eastbourne
Bournemouth
Ostrava
Duxford

Nikon D500
Harvo266

Postby Thumper on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 5:42 pm

Harvo266 wrote:For anyone interested the Typhoons that arrived at Cardiff were ZK352 and ZK354 so either one of them will be used.

Thanks Harvo, I was actually waiting to hear that info, with a lack of jets at Yeovilton this year I am disappointed it's not ZK349 :sad:
Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Postby richyrara on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 6:09 pm

Thinking of popping down perhaps watching from Pyle Lane as I did a few years ago - anyone know what the form was last year regarding parking and viewing?

Cheers :smile:
richyrara

Postby Minigill on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 6:13 pm

euangregg1 wrote:Ah that's what I expected :lol: I've never been to yeovilton and I'm in the swordfish enclosure with my grandad. What's the traffic situation usually like?

Went last year for the first time and had grandstand seats/parking. Parking was just behind the stands. We had a different entrance from the normal route in, and drove straight in, no holding back until it opened for example.

Parked up at 8.00am and we were allowed to wander round all the statics before the rest of the people came in at 9. Wasn't expecting that so got some nice shots without lots of people !

Parking is really handy for popping back to the car for supplies, change of lenses etc :)

We planned to arrive earlier rather than later not knowing what the traffic would be like ! Had brekky up at the White Post pub locally en route. Left home at 5am. Traffic was not too built up at that point 7.30 ish in the area.

We just followed I 'think' it was diamond posts which took you a different way in. There were marshalls giving you instructions on what to do !!

Enjoy the day :smile:
Minigill

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 6:14 pm

Harvo266 wrote:For anyone interested the Typhoons that arrived at Cardiff were ZK352 and ZK354 so either one of them will be used.

One of them did a practice display for the Swansea Airshow whilst it was at it.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Chris G on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 6:28 pm

It looks like those nice chaps at Planes Tv will be streaming this show live tomorrow!
Chris G

Postby craig.mason on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 7:16 pm

For anybody unable to attend planestv is live streaming the airshow on youtube
https://youtu.be/qaokxyQn_9A
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM
craig.mason

Postby The Baron on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 5:37 am

richyrara wrote:Thinking of popping down perhaps watching from Pyle Lane as I did a few years ago - anyone know what the form was last year regarding parking and viewing?

No chance chum.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby Tommy on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 10:20 am

Live stream here from PlanesTV

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby richyrara on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 10:26 am

The Baron wrote:
richyrara wrote:Thinking of popping down perhaps watching from Pyle Lane as I did a few years ago - anyone know what the form was last year regarding parking and viewing?

No chance chum.

I know... looked at the other thread last night, I'm watching it on the t'internet instead. :smile:
Mind you there are quite a few at the end of Pyle Lane it seems.
richyrara

Postby vulcan558 on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 10:36 am

What times the F35 due.
vulcan558

Postby vulcan558 on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 10:37 am

What times the F35 due.
vulcan558

Postby parsley on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 11:53 am

It looks rather "moist" on the live feed at the moment
parsley
UKAR Supporter

Postby jason82wells on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 1:59 pm

Does anyone know the name of the commentator at the show today? Seems a hell of a lot more professional than the clown from Cosford! Hope the one from today is at RIAT. Does anyone know if he is or not?
jason82wells

Postby Tommy on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 2:34 pm

Ben Dunnell, and yes, (or at least presumably!)
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby jason82wells on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 3:26 pm

Tommy wrote:Ben Dunnell, and yes, (or at least presumably!)

Lovely thank you. That's a relief.
jason82wells

Postby G-CVIX on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 5:49 pm

Thought today was so-so. Lots of tat on the ground plus lots of spare tarmac. Statics were of quality even if it was a small static display, though, and the flying wasn't bad. I thought the first section before the "break", minus the parachute team, was very well constructed and enjoyable. Obviously highlights are the Rafales, MiG-15, and Sea Vixen.

I doubt I'll go next year unless it's a particularly good line up. I do, however, think I'm just in a bad mood because I kept getting trampled on by members of the public despite intentionally sitting right at the back. Remarkable really, the space people find to be half a foot further forwards for the Red Arrows, at one point I had someone stood between me and my chair, as I was stood up about a foot in front of it taking photos! Remember, I'm a good 15m from the crowd line here, so what do they think is going to happen?! Mental.

Still, better than not going to an airshow at all!
G-CVIX

Postby Tilney.G on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 7:11 pm

A very enjoyable day, weather held off despite the one heavy shower.

The static was a little thin but still good to look round the C-17 and the f-16's/tornado. Flying was great with highlights being the sea vixen, rafales, gazelles, seafire and of course the commando assault which was as good as ever this year.

It was generally a good day out with plenty to see. Nice commentary as well informing the crowd what was happening when. :smile:
Tilney.G

Postby tankbuster on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 7:55 pm

I went this year because I thought last year was very good. I had missed the previous 10 years. I felt a bit disappointed today which is daft because it wasn't much different to last year but maybe that was the problem and it wasn't quite as good as last year. I know the world doesn't revolve around photographers but surely UK show organisers could do a lot better when organising static. If you are involved in UK airshows please take a trip to the next Dutch show and see how easy it is to arrange static to maximise photo accessibility and aesthetics. Leeuwarden. the other week, crammed a lot of the static into space half of what Yeovilton used today yet virtually everything gave decent photo opportunities and allowed people to really appreciate the static aircraft. Gilze Rijen two years ago was also superb.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby Andyperkins on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 8:33 pm

Had my fingers crossed the predicted showers would miss and for the most part they did (one light shower during MIG-15 display and one heavy shower happening right in the middle of the 30 minute display break) rest of the time it was either sunshine or scattered cloud so allowed for some great full displays, really hope someone got a shot of the Rafale when it went vertical and hit that cloud which coiled around it as it looked fantastic :smile:

Static did look very sparse and why they felt the need to put the fences right up close around some of them is a mystery to me but still a very enjoyable day out and will be back again next year.
Andyperkins

Postby AMB on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 8:39 pm

tankbuster wrote: I know the world doesn't revolve around photographers but surely UK show organisers could do a lot better when organising static. If you are involved in UK airshows please take a trip to the next Dutch show and see how easy it is to arrange static to maximise photo accessibility and aesthetics. Leeuwarden. the other week, crammed a lot of the static into space half of what Yeovilton used today yet virtually everything gave decent photo opportunities and allowed people to really appreciate the static aircraft. Gilze Rijen two years ago was also superb.

Quite agree - every year Yeovilton seem obsessed with putting the barriers as close to the aircraft as possible, making photography almost impossible. It's not as though they don't have enough room as there was acres of empty hard-standing. :whistle:
Adrian
AMB

Postby 106500 on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 8:42 pm

Fairly good show for today. Stars of the show were Sea Vixen & Rafale pair. Weather reasonable apart from one heavy rain shower. Static definitely sparse and photography difficult due to barriers being placed close to aircraft. Biggest disappointment was commando assault which was a pale imitation of last years i.e. far fewer helicopters detracted significantly from the spectacle. A definite highlight was the first pass by the Sea Vixen which was awesome!

Postby ted633 on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 8:42 pm

Had a great say today. The weather gods were obviously on our side judging by the amount of downpours that just missed us to the north and south, with the one we did receive came in the 20 min lunch break. Was amusing to watch various brollies turning inside out. Highlights were the Rafales, Typhoon, Sea vixen, Gazelles and the assault demo (so good to see so many helicopters in the same patch of sky. As for display changes since the regulation changes (aware its an MAA show), the RJF seemed to display very high for some reason, but all other displays seemed no different.
Anyone know why the Texan and Yak 52 didn't fly? They were listed on the website, in the programme and were lined up on the flight line, but even the commentator didn't say they were flying when giving the running order at the start.
Thought the crowd was a bit thinner this year (may just be me though), sat about 20m from the front and there seemed plenty of space around.
As for car parking, ended up in Hurricane this year (Usually in Hunter, or Harrier as its now called), drove straight in after nearly missing it. Got back to the car at 17:00 and was on the A303 10 mins later. Never got out of there so quick!
Definitely going again next year.
2018 - Season Premier, Fly Navy, Military Pageant, Yeovilton, RIAT, BHFoF, Dunsfold
ted633

Postby captainfurious on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 9:12 pm

Really enjoyed today.

A little down on last year but still a solid, well paced show. I enjoyed the differing weather conditions which gave some interesting photography. Was a little worried about the weather before the Red Arrows as my daughter is a huge fan. It made her day as the clouds disappeared for their arrival.

Static was thin but Yeovilton for me is a perfect air show with a 7 year old with a light combination of looking at static, flying display and event stalls which is easily walkable.

Display distance seems to be a concern in 2016 since the tragedy last year. At Weston, my first airshow of the year, the displays seemed more distant than usual. Yeovilton was far better, especially the Reds.

Highlight - as said above the first Sea Vixen pass!

Also as above, no traffic problems this year at all!

Roll on RIAT!
captainfurious

PreviousNext

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days