RNAS Culdrose Air Day 2016

RNAS Culdrose Air Day 2016

Postby planesgalaxxyclacton on Fri 23 Oct 2015, 12:37 pm

Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose Air Day has been confirmed for Thursday 28th July.
planesgalaxxyclacton

Re: RNAS Culdrose Air Day 2016

Postby G-CVIX on Sat 24 Oct 2015, 12:14 am

Good news.

I hope they sort that static park out though.
G-CVIX

Postby NTFC1 on Tue 09 Feb 2016, 2:46 pm

Anybody got any tips for this one (what time to arrive etc etc).Never been before & as it's on my 40th this year and we're staying in hayle that week thought it would be rude not to.
NTFC1

Postby CrowdlinePhotography on Tue 09 Feb 2016, 3:29 pm

Team Raven confirmed
CrowdlinePhotography

Postby capercaillie on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 10:19 am

CrowdlinePhotography wrote:Team Raven confirmed

Just as I was looking forward to heading back this year. :hide:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby Xray833 on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 12:21 pm

NTFC

If you are into air show photography and travelling from Hayle ignore the main entrance and continue on the Mullion/Lizard road until you come to a roundabout at the end of RNAS Culdrose. Don`t go into the car park on the right but turn left at this roundabout and enter the base through W site, HMS Seahawk 2 ( about a couple of hundred yards on the left. You will then be directed to park on grass close to the runway threshold and landing shots are a breeze from here as display aircraft come in right in front of you. A standard lens will get you good results. The downside is it`s a long walk to the static park and food stalls.

Its always worth a visit ( its my local show, I live 10 miles away in Redruth so I`m biased ) and usually attract some nice displays. Last year it was the only air show in the UK to have the Frecce Tricolori . It also had a 3 ship Sea Harrier taxi display the length of the runway and back, again unique in the UK.

Get there as early as you can, gates usually open at 09.00 so perhaps an 08.00 start from Hayle.

Hope this helps
Xray833

Postby G-CVIX on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 1:32 pm

Xray, I might have to give that a go this year!
G-CVIX

Postby Xray833 on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 3:33 pm

You won`t be disappointed as long as the weather holds up. If it does, it`s a really good day out but Cornish drizzle is quite the opposite.
Xray833

Postby NTFC1 on Sat 13 Feb 2016, 10:37 am

Cheers for that Xray :up: .I will be coming with my partner & her kids though so would want to be near ground based attractions,toilets etc.I'm sure there's a few on here that will be heading to your suggested spot so you may be in good company this year!!.
Nice to know we wont have to set off at the crack of dawn also as we're used to 5.30 am starts for cosford,RIAT,dunsfold.....How does culdrose compare to yeovilton?
NTFC1

Postby Xray833 on Sat 13 Feb 2016, 1:30 pm

I don`t wish to set myself up as an expert on Culdrose/Yeovilton and others will no doubt have their own thoughts but for sheer spectacle there is little to rival Yeovilton`s finale Commando Assault with so many aircraft in the air at the same time and the pyrotechnics. Culdrose doesn`t try but does make good use of the base assets. I`ve been going to air day at Culdrose since the very early 1960`s and remember sitting in the cockpits of a Bristol Brigand and a number of Fairey Fireflys. I`ve never been disappointed or bored with the displays. However, for photographers the static displays at Culdrose are far more crowded than at Yeovilton with the barriers being very close to the aircraft. For those not bothered about photos, or those that want “selfies”, this is probably a good thing.

For children I would suggest that Culdrose, being a more compact airfield, has slightly more to offer than Yeovilton. Certainly for 5 to 15 year olds the chance to be winched into a Wessex about 15 feet above the hangar floor is just about irresistible. There are also usually opportunities to go inside Merlins, Sea Kings and the new Avengers. If you have the time and the resources, a helicopter pleasure flight over the base south perimeter and Loe Bar with views of Mount`s Bay is well worth doing.

As I`ve indicated in my previous post, the one thing that can let the air day down very badly is the weather and of course, not even the Royal Navy can alter that. On a good day there is nowhere better but if the weather doesn`t play ball and you get drizzle or even worse, fog you will be limited to the hangar attractions which will then be very crowded.

Good luck with your visit and I hope you will also have good memories of Cornwall.
Xray833

Postby boff180 on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 9:33 am

AAC Apache - Flying

Source: AAC Apache Demo Team
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby Chris G on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 4:12 pm

Any updates for this show, its very quiet?
Chris G

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 4:21 pm

Nothing listed on their website yet.
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/RNASCuldroseAirday
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby HMS Seahawk on Sat 18 Jun 2016, 8:31 am

SHAR, Lynx and Wessex for static, something rare parked next to the burger stall with barriers tight all the way round it making it impossible to photograph. Oh and it will rain. Enjoy! :lmao:
HMS Seahawk

Postby Cyril Dorricott on Sat 18 Jun 2016, 9:49 am

Belgian Sea King in the flying programme, Polish An28, Dutch NH-90 and German Typhoon in the static.
Cyril Dorricott

Postby rdchawk on Sat 18 Jun 2016, 9:56 am

Cyril Dorricott wrote:Belgian Sea King in the flying programme, Polish An28, Dutch NH-90 and German Typhoon in the static.

Polish AN28 also under flying list be good if correct.
Known as Red 13,
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team
rdchawk

Postby 106500 on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 11:24 am

HMS Seahawk wrote:SHAR, Lynx and Wessex for static, something rare parked next to the burger stall with barriers tight all the way round it making it impossible to photograph. Oh and it will rain. Enjoy! :lmao:

Last 2 shows were exceptionally good with excellent weather - an outstanding airshow!

Postby HMS Seahawk on Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:58 pm

106500 wrote:
HMS Seahawk wrote:SHAR, Lynx and Wessex for static, something rare parked next to the burger stall with barriers tight all the way round it making it impossible to photograph. Oh and it will rain. Enjoy! :lmao:

Last 2 shows were exceptionally good with excellent weather - an outstanding airshow!

Yes I know I was there, law of probabilities would suggest it will rain as it has done quite regularly at past events at Culdrose.
HMS Seahawk

Postby trebleone on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 4:33 pm

Less than two weeks away and the line-up is looking a bit thin this year, especially compared to last year. I'm wondering if there's anything more to be added at this late stage.
trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Postby 106500 on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 6:15 am

trebleone wrote:Less than two weeks away and the line-up is looking a bit thin this year, especially compared to last year. I'm wondering if there's anything more to be added at this late stage.

Thin is an understatement! 1x jet and that's a vintage one - woeful compared to the last 2 years. Probably too late now to rectify this ?

Postby red_snow on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 8:58 am

Do Culdrose have an arrivals day?
red_snow

Postby PeteM on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 9:21 am

red_snow wrote:Do Culdrose have an arrivals day?

There is an enthusiasts afternoon on arrivals day. 40 quid this year.
PeteM

Postby trebleone on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 9:10 pm

PeteM wrote:
red_snow wrote:Do Culdrose have an arrivals day?

There is an enthusiasts afternoon on arrivals day. 40 quid this year.

Quite a hike from the £25 charged last year!
trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Postby The Baron on Mon 18 Jul 2016, 4:36 pm

Belgian F-16 confirmed on Culdrose FB page.
Edit: it does just say flypast though.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby The Baron on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 5:11 pm

Appears to have been confirmed as a flypast by 4 Belgian F-16s to open the show.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Next

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days