RNAS Culdrose Air Day 2016

Re: RNAS Culdrose Air Day 2016

Postby 106500 on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 11:33 am

Sad to see the SAR Sea King (no 27) now as a 'gate guard', minus engines just inside the perimeter fence on the Helston roundabout. :sad:

Postby capercaillie on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 3:51 pm

I believe the Cyber Tiger Typhoon from Tlw74 has arrived.

Some nice bits advertised but not looking such a strong line up as last year and the weather probably won't be as good either.
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby KyleG on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 7:01 pm

capercaillie wrote:I believe the Cyber Tiger Typhoon from Tlw74 has arrived.

Some nice bits advertised but not looking such a strong line up as last year and the weather probably won't be as good either.

It's actually the 60th anniversary scheme (30+68), I think it was using the wrong hex code.
Canon EOS 50D/1100D
KyleG

Postby 106500 on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 7:57 pm

I'm quite surprised at the apparent lack of interest in the Culdrose Airday on this forum. The last two shows have been excellent - perhaps it due to its remoteness but still I'd have expected a little more comment - after all where else can you see 3 x SHARs taxiing?

Postby 106500 on Thu 28 Jul 2016, 12:14 pm

No flying so far - all fogged out ☹️

Postby Pringles on Thu 28 Jul 2016, 1:14 pm

Still nothing displayed yet that I've heard, British weather at its best!
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby Pringles on Thu 28 Jul 2016, 2:18 pm

Hearing that the flying has been cancelled :sad:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby captainfurious on Thu 28 Jul 2016, 2:35 pm

First Culdrose. A pretty miserable experience to rank up there with RIAT 2008! I've visited more vendors today than in the last 30 years of airshows combined.
captainfurious

Postby HMS Seahawk on Thu 28 Jul 2016, 4:57 pm

HMS Seahawk wrote:SHAR, Lynx and Wessex for static, something rare parked next to the burger stall with barriers tight all the way round it making it impossible to photograph. Oh and it will rain. Enjoy! :lmao:

Sad to say that the weather at my local airshow lived up to my prediction. A great pity for all the people who made it down there. :sad:
HMS Seahawk

Postby chrisb306 on Thu 28 Jul 2016, 7:36 pm

Did anything fly in the end? I was in the area until about 2 and the weather upto that point was awful.
chrisb306

Postby 106500 on Thu 28 Jul 2016, 10:16 pm

chrisb306 wrote:Did anything fly in the end? I was in the area until about 2 and the weather upto that point was awful.

No displays. 6 x Hawk T1s landed from a mission (one did a fly past) and departures by the Texan, Muscle bi-plane, Black Cats and Gazelle. That was it apart from a taxi up and down the runway by 3x SHARs.

A 'well done' and full marks to commentator George Bacon who did a sterling job in keeping the crowd entertained under trying conditions.

All in all a shame but these things happen and shouldn't put people off future Culdrose events - the last two being first class.

Postby Stagger2 on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 2:32 pm

You can get-over the wasted journey, overlook the sad waste of effort by the Organisers & Public, even forgive the fact that there's no back-up day for the extremely local weather, but...... a day with George Bacon & next to no flying :sick: ....That's very nearly a Human Rights issue! :whistle:
Stagger2

Postby dyvroeth on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 10:31 pm

Yes, good old George, telling us what we might have seen, and how wonderful it was when it had been flying somewhere else. Absolutely galling.

We had already had a really interesting and inspiring interview with Flag Officer Naval Aviation for 10 mins, when up pipes George along the lines of "...this could be like Test Match Special when the weather's bad...", and I thought "Hello, we're going to get some brilliant anecdotes from days gone by...". But no, he closed that down firmly and encouraged us all to go and see the Helston Twirlers in the arena or the Worm World display in C2 or something equally inane.

What really annoyed me was that the only things legitimately moving were the Harriers taxying, which the Treasury forced the Royal Navy to withdraw from service.

And I didn't even see Dreckly, the Pirate FM parrot mascot, this year.

A few miserable images from helis.com, here
http://www.helis.com/database/airshow/Culdrose_Air_Day_2016/?UKAR

* Update: I have now been bothered to write up the Air Day on my blog, here:
http://dyvroeth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/observations-on-rnas-culdrose-2016-air.html

dyvroeth
Last edited by WG655 on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rule 5)
dyvroeth

Postby andrewn on Sat 10 Sep 2016, 11:47 am

Good read thanks for posting, and like the rest of the blog as well :)
andrewn

Postby NickB on Thu 22 Sep 2016, 11:03 am

dyvroeth wrote:Yes, good old George, telling us what we might have seen, and how wonderful it was when it had been flying somewhere else. Absolutely galling.

We had already had a really interesting and inspiring interview with Flag Officer Naval Aviation for 10 mins, when up pipes George along the lines of "...this could be like Test Match Special when the weather's bad...", and I thought "Hello, we're going to get some brilliant anecdotes from days gone by...". But no, he closed that down firmly and encouraged us all to go and see the Helston Twirlers in the arena or the Worm World display in C2 or something equally inane.

What really annoyed me was that the only things legitimately moving were the Harriers taxying, which the Treasury forced the Royal Navy to withdraw from service.

And I didn't even see Dreckly, the Pirate FM parrot mascot, this year.

A few miserable images from helis.com, here
http://www.helis.com/database/airshow/Culdrose_Air_Day_2016/?UKAR

* Update: I have now been bothered to write up the Air Day on my blog, here:
http://dyvroeth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/observations-on-rnas-culdrose-2016-air.html

dyvroeth

Enjoyed your write up 'dyvroeth' and agree with a lot of your comments - CU could have done a lot more - a Merlin hover demo would have been something that could have been done with acceptable risk, but I fear those days are long gone.

Your comment re. catching up with a poorly friend of old - I think this might have been my cousin (CL?) if you saw him at the end of '30' on the corner the day before, as I was there too. He's really not well at the moment - PM if you like.

Rgds
Nick
NickB

Postby PeterR on Sat 24 Sep 2016, 12:11 pm

NickB wrote:Enjoyed your write up 'dyvroeth' and agree with a lot of your comments - CU could have done a lot more - a Merlin hover demo would have been something that could have been done with acceptable risk, but I fear those days are long gone.

Weather minima are set by the MAA as follows...
TYPE OF DISPLAY
1. Limited Flying Display by VSTOL
aircraft and helicopters. (Hovering,
ground-cushion and non wing borne)

VISIBILITY
1 km

CLOUD
200 ft Base (AGL)

...so if the cloud base was lower than 200ft, even a hover demonstration as you describe would be outside of the regulated limits. Can't blame Culdrose to having to follow the rules, as frustrating as it may be as a spectator.
PeterR

Postby NickB on Mon 26 Sep 2016, 9:38 am

PeterR wrote:
NickB wrote:Enjoyed your write up 'dyvroeth' and agree with a lot of your comments - CU could have done a lot more - a Merlin hover demo would have been something that could have been done with acceptable risk, but I fear those days are long gone.

Weather minima are set by the MAA as follows...
TYPE OF DISPLAY
1. Limited Flying Display by VSTOL
aircraft and helicopters. (Hovering,
ground-cushion and non wing borne)

VISIBILITY
1 km

CLOUD
200 ft Base (AGL)

...so if the cloud base was lower than 200ft, even a hover demonstration as you describe would be outside of the regulated limits. Can't blame Culdrose to having to follow the rules, as frustrating as it may be as a spectator.

On that day, the cloud and vis were in excess of those limits - I was checking the METARS.
Plus, I am an ex-Metman! :smile:
NickB

Previous

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days