Culdrose Air Day 2017

Culdrose Air Day 2017

Postby Finningley Boy on Wed 04 Jan 2017, 6:16 pm

I have it on good authority that this year's air day is confirmed for 27th July. Lets hope its more like the 2015 event than the 2016 one! :cuppa:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Re: Culdrose Air Day 2017

Postby john001 on Wed 04 Jan 2017, 6:31 pm

Maybe feature this:

The rebuild of Sea Fury T20 G-RNHF is on track for a return to the skies for the 2017 display season. The maintenance and repair fo the civilian registered aircraft is being carried out by Weald Aviation on behalf of the Trust. The airframe repairs were completed in the summer of 2016 and a new engine which was rebuilt from a unit purchased in the USA, is now in the final stages of assembly. The engine was stripped back to its component parts and completely overhauled.

The Bristol Centaurus 18 is an incredibly complex 60 year old engine – one of the most powerful sleeve valve radial engines ever built and it has taken alot of meticulous planning and skilful workmanship to disassemble it down to the last nut and bolt, and rebuild it again, a task once only ever done by the original manufacturers.
john001

Postby 106500 on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 10:26 am

I hope people won't be put off by events last year - when the weather is right Culdrose is a terrific show and full of atmosphere. Both 2014 and 2015 shows were outstanding and hopefully this year will be similar. I guess to some extent it depends on the line up as well as the weather but if the Vixen and Sea Fury don't whet your appetite then nothing will! :clap:

Postby Stagger2 on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 3:31 am

Whilst getting excited about 'possible' display participants is okay, I prefer to temper my expectations with a major dose of reality!
The RNHF (or whatever they're called these days?) Sea Fury return to flight is well documented with high hopes of flying " before the 2017 Display Season"...same song as 2016, but it didn't happen. :hide:
I have recently read that the same ex RNHF / Sea Vixen custodians have yet to complete repairs to the airframe following the stbd flap failure at Eastbourne in August 2016. The following extract was copied from the Naval Aviation Ltd. (a subsidiary of Fly Navy Heritage Trust) News Blog, although the actual date of the 'news' is unclear! :dunno:
"The vixen continues to undergo repairs and annual maintenance at Yeovilton with the aim of returning to full flying condition in time to take her place alongside the Sea Fury T20 and Swordfish leading the flypast over HMS Queen Elizabeth next Summer. (edit-hopefully 2017?)
Navy Wings strives to provide inspiring aircraft displays to tell the story of naval flying but we have to balance the costs across the collection of aircraft. To keep the Sea Vixen flying throughout 2017 and beyond we need your help to raise £150,000 to repair the flap system and wing and provide the deep maintenance to keep her in prime airworthy condition. To support the work you can make a donation via this website, send a cheque payable to the Fly Navy Heritage Trust and become a supporter."

I welcome any real update as the 'Fly Navy' Shuttleworth event looks likely to be without these two aircraft?
PS:- Am I alone in not knowing about the need to raise £150K.... maybe the CEO. needs to call the VTTS. guys for some tips? :whistle:
Stagger2

Postby Ouragan on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 2:28 pm

Bronco Demo Team certainly seem certain it is the 27th, according to their schedule.
Ouragan

Postby Cyril Dorricott on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 2:17 pm

Ouragan wrote:Bronco Demo Team certainly seem certain it is the 27th, according to their schedule.

Likely an assumption, as for the previous few years the show has been on the final Thursday in July.

There's still no official announcement made, so assume there to be no show at all.
Cyril Dorricott

Postby Spotty_Jag on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 4:08 pm

RNAS Culdrose Air Day is currently scheduled to be held on 27th July 2017. Looks like no RAF aircraft support for the show sadly.
Last edited by Spotty_Jag on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spotty_Jag

Postby Xray833 on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 4:20 pm

Spotty_Jag wrote:RNAS Culdrose Air Day is currently scheduled to be held on 23rd July 2017. However, even with the move to a weekend it still looks like no RAF aircraft support for the show sadly.

Highly unlikely as 23rd. July is a Sunday and RNAS Culdrose air days have just about always been a weekday. Until recently the air day was held on a Wednesday moving to the last Thursday in July only within the last few years. A change to a weekend show would be "out of character".
Xray833

Postby Spotty_Jag on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 4:31 pm

Sorry, having re-read the message I received I can confirm it's Thursday 27th July. :dizzy:
Spotty_Jag

Postby Xray833 on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 5:10 pm

Spotty_Jag wrote:Sorry, having re-read the message I received I can confirm it's Thursday 27th July. :dizzy:

Thank you for that you had me a little confused for a while.
Xray833

Postby Cyril Dorricott on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 5:12 pm

Spotty_Jag wrote:Sorry, having re-read the message I received I can confirm it's Thursday 27th July. :dizzy:

There has yet to be anything official said(from RNAS Culdrose themselves) regarding this date, surely.

There are many onboard RNAS Culdrose who doubt there will be an Air Day this year.
Cyril Dorricott

Postby Ouragan on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 1:41 pm

Culdrose are not confirming anything at the moment, and indeed seem to be rather quiet about the whole thing.

It is concerning, particularly as last year's date was confirmed in the preceding October. February is very late; I believe Yeovilton announced their date for 2017 in November? I too fear that this year may not happen, and as somebody who trades at the event it is doubly concerning. It is my single biggest event of the year and accounts for a decent amount of revenue.
Ouragan

Postby Finningley Boy on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 4:01 pm

Ouragan wrote:Culdrose are not confirming anything at the moment, and indeed seem to be rather quiet about the whole thing.

It is concerning, particularly as last year's date was confirmed in the preceding October. February is very late; I believe Yeovilton announced their date for 2017 in November? I too fear that this year may not happen, and as somebody who trades at the event it is doubly concerning. It is my single biggest event of the year and accounts for a decent amount of revenue.

Ouragan,

They've already started planning the flying display? they're listed on Flightline's UK calendar for this year, 27th July, hence my opening post at the start of this thread.

Finningley Boy

Postby Finningley Boy on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 4:06 pm

On second thoughts, they've now put a big (TBC) alongside the entry!? :-X

Still got the OV-10 Bronco showing as a flying participant though!? :dunno:

Finningley Boy

Postby Ouragan on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 1:20 pm

I think Flightline are jumping the gun a little. According to the air day's FB page everything is 'tbc'.
Ouragan

Postby Finningley Boy on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 1:41 pm

I did get an email response from them telling me it was 27th July which is why I made the initial post on here. Flightline are also saying the OV-10 is listed as a flying participant, 've also asked them if there is anything afoot. What concerns you most? Would it be last year's atrocious weather!? :cuppa:

Finningley Boy

Postby G-CVIX on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 3:06 pm

Less so in the last year or two, but almost every year has been rumoured at some point to be the last year. One year it was even mentioned on commentary that it was almost certain to be the last one, only for the show to go ahead next year.

Now these are all guesses and speculation, but perhaps last year was the final straw and whoever has managed to stop it being cancelled in the past has lost out to whoever doesn't think it's worth doing anymore.
G-CVIX

Postby Finningley Boy on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 6:13 pm

But it is going ahead!? Albeit with a TBC proviso. :cuppa:

To have got this far would mean some degree of firming up on the decision front... I'd have thought!? :confused:

Finningley Boy

Postby boff180 on Wed 15 Feb 2017, 3:36 pm

Culdrose Canx

boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby Ouragan on Wed 15 Feb 2017, 4:41 pm

Well, crap.
Ouragan

Postby Cyril Dorricott on Wed 15 Feb 2017, 4:55 pm

boff180 wrote:Culdrose Canx

Cancelled? There were no plans to hold the show.Just plane-spotters assuming there would be.
Cyril Dorricott

Postby 106500 on Wed 15 Feb 2017, 9:16 pm

Sounds to me like a total cop out after losing money on last years debacle; at this rate the days of the air show in Britain are numbered :sad:

Postby Ouragan on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 11:22 am

Cyril Dorricott wrote:
boff180 wrote:Culdrose Canx

Cancelled? There were no plans to hold the show.Just plane-spotters assuming there would be.

Well, the events company that runs it were only awaiting the go-ahead when I spoke to them last week. I don't imagine they did the ground work on an assumption.
Ouragan

Postby NickB on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 2:25 pm

Sadly I fear this will be a permanent end to CU Air Day. It had be rumoured for some time now, but I fear this will be the final nail in the coffin.

My Dad has attended every CU airshow since 1947 bar one - must be a record!
NickB

Next

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days