Accomodation/Transportation for a Yeovilton Newbie

Accomodation/Transportation for a Yeovilton Newbie

Postby Go4Long on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 1:50 pm

All, travelling from Canada for the show. Really looking forward to it.

Flying in to Heathrow on the Thursday. Any recommendations for accomodation near the show? Is there transportation to near the show or will I have to rent a car? If driving myself, is the parking usually pretty accessible, or will it be a nightmare to get in and out (Went to the airshow at JRB Pearl Harbor-Hickam in 2014 and ended up on the field for 4 hours after the conclusion of the show)? Anything else I should know about the show and arrivals day?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Go4Long

Re: Accomodation/Transportation for a Yeovilton Newbie

Postby Andyperkins on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 2:17 pm

Go4Long wrote:All, travelling from Canada for the show. Really looking forward to it.

Flying in to Heathrow on the Thursday. Any recommendations for accomodation near the show? Is there transportation to near the show or will I have to rent a car? If driving myself, is the parking usually pretty accessible, or will it be a nightmare to get in and out (Went to the airshow at JRB Pearl Harbor-Hickam in 2014 and ended up on the field for 4 hours after the conclusion of the show)? Anything else I should know about the show and arrivals day?

I have always found getting in very straight forward but I always aim to arrive for 8:30-9:00 but when it comes to leaving it can take along time, think last year was nearly 2 hours but if you pay no attention to the queues and force your way out like I see some do every year :roll: you will be out in minutes.
Andyperkins

Postby The Star of Woo on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 2:31 pm

Have sent you a PM with some 'local' accoms on it
The Star of Woo

Postby iainpeden on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 2:51 pm

I stayed at a pub called The Hunters Lodge Inn at Wincanton a couple of years ago - good price, good food and good beer. The breakfast set me up for the day, I left at 7.30 and had a steady drive in - 15-20 minutes IIRC.
iainpeden

Postby Jakesplanes on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 3:16 pm

Go4Long wrote:All, travelling from Canada for the show. Really looking forward to it.

Welcome to Yeovilton. I'm always of the "take the end of the show to enjoy the static" persuasion rather than an early leaver and I've never had to wait more than a few minutes. The show is right next to the main road so it flows out nicely. You'll have a great show, come to the arrivals day too!
IG profile "jakesplanes"
Jakesplanes

Postby Go4Long on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 3:34 pm

The Star of Woo wrote:Have sent you a PM with some 'local' accoms on it

Thank you.
iainpeden wrote:I stayed at a pub called The Hunters Lodge Inn at Wincanton a couple of years ago - good price, good food and good beer. The breakfast set me up for the day, I left at 7.30 and had a steady drive in - 15-20 minutes IIRC.

I do like a good beer. especially after an 8 hour flight where I gain 8 time zones.

Jakesplanes wrote:
Welcome to Yeovilton. I'm always of the "take the end of the show to enjoy the static" persuasion rather than an early leaver and I've never had to wait more than a few minutes. The show is right next to the main road so it flows out nicely. You'll have a great show, come to the arrivals day too!

Already booked for the arrivals. Just waiting on the passes to arrive.
Go4Long

Postby farnboroughrob on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 3:53 pm

I would hire a car just for the convenience. You could have a look at Middle Wallop and/or Boscombe Down on the way on Thursday.The gates will not open until 9am on the dot, but car parks are open earlier. Never had any issues with getting out, but I tend to leave before the end. Assuming you are entering the base from the museum side I tend to turn left, unlike 90% of the crowd. You can then photograph the helicopter pan at close quarters.
farnboroughrob

Postby Go4Long on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 3:54 pm

farnboroughrob wrote:I would hire a car just for the convenience. You could have a look at Middle Wallop and/or Boscombe Down on the way on Thursday.The gates will not open until 9am on the dot, but car parks are open earlier. Never had any issues with getting out, but I tend to leave before the end. Assuming you are entering the base from the museum side I tend to turn left, unlike 90% of the crowd. You can then photograph the helicopter pan at close quarters.

Helicopter Pan?
Go4Long

Postby farnboroughrob on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 7:30 pm

Hi yes the navy's Wildcats are in hangars 11-13(IIRC) and they operate from this pan and are easily photographed. They normally fly a 2 ship role demo from this area and other stuff during the display, can be quite a busy area and some people miss it. Normally some interesting hangar displays too.
farnboroughrob

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days