2018 Yeovilton Air Day

2018 Yeovilton Air Day

Postby The Star of Woo on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 10:36 am

So the countdown has begun, this years participants are heading home overhead, some even returning due to being turned away by French Air Traffic I believe!! Anyway, I was wondering about the 2018 show and in particular what date it will be?

At the moment there are a couple of 'ideas' out there..... a) On the road closure notice, compliments of dear old South Somerset District Council, they have stated 7th July 2018 being the date. b) I believe the Audrey Hewlen Agency (who organise the Air Day) have signed a contract for five years so that bodes well that there's going to be a show or c) There won't be one at all as it's going to be a 'year about' with Culdrose from now on, ie every two years starting with Culdrose's turn in 2018.

Fingers crossed we'll soon know for sure either way.
The Star of Woo

Re: 2018 Yeovilton Air Day

Postby Ouragan on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 11:06 am

I do not honestly see for one minute that there will ever be an alternative arrangement with Culdrose. Yeovilton has so many advantages over Culdrose, including its size and location and that it is the HQ of the FAA, and also that the current Captain at Culdrose seems to have an anti-airshow sentiment. It is a big shame for those of us down this end of the country, but I think we have seen the end of Culdrose air day.
Ouragan

Postby Andyperkins on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 12:12 pm

The Star of Woo wrote:So the countdown has begun, this years participants are heading home overhead, some even returning due to being turned away by French Air Traffic I believe!! Anyway, I was wondering about the 2018 show and in particular what date it will be?

At the moment there are a couple of 'ideas' out there..... a) On the road closure notice, compliments of dear old South Somerset District Council, they have stated 7th July 2018 being the date. b) I believe the Audrey Hewlen Agency (who organise the Air Day) have signed a contract for five years so that bodes well that there's going to be a show or c) There won't be one at all as it's going to be a 'year about' with Culdrose from now on, ie every two years starting with Culdrose's turn in 2018.

Fingers crossed we'll soon know for sure either way.

Well Farnborough (public days) are on the 21st and 22nd July 2018 so would assume RIAT will be 13th - 15th July with Yeovilton ended up on 7th July.
Andyperkins

Postby Wissam24 on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 5:14 pm

While the shows of late have stood on their own perfectly well, I'd love to see Yeovilton attempt something audacious like a Hunter meet, a Hornet gathering (naval aircraft that will be celebrating 40th anniversary next year, good opportunity to get lots on static from near and far!), or even something larger like a dedicated MPA gathering, in view of the fact that they have the RAF's centenary to stand out from. A really strong theme that might manage to pull in exotic stars from afar if really presented well - imagine if Aussie Hornets could be persuaded to come over for it! Focusing on perhaps one particular aeroplane and suggesting it as a main event for that type.

Would be glad to consult :heyhey: :heyhey:
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Wissam24 on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 12:22 pm

Confirmed today for the 7th of July
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby capercaillie on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 12:44 pm

Wissam24 wrote:While the shows of late have stood on their own perfectly well, I'd love to see Yeovilton attempt something audacious like a Hunter meet, a Hornet gathering (naval aircraft that will be celebrating 40th anniversary next year, good opportunity to get lots on static from near and far!), or even something larger like a dedicated MPA gathering, in view of the fact that they have the RAF's centenary to stand out from. A really strong theme that might manage to pull in exotic stars from afar if really presented well - imagine if Aussie Hornets could be persuaded to come over for it! Focusing on perhaps one particular aeroplane and suggesting it as a main event for that type.

Would be glad to consult :heyhey: :heyhey:

While I commend and encourage your energy, I cannot think for the life of me why a show outside of RIAT's pulling power would try for a gathering of a type celebrating an anniversary that never served the air arm hosting, the country hosting or indeed has ever been stationed in the country. Australian ones, can't see it ever happening. It was difficult enough getting a long range type like the F-111 over. Four visits in around 30 years of service, the last in 1994.

If they want to theme, it needs to be something simple such as Naval helicopter aviation, plenty of scope within Europe, especially of rarely seen stuff - Polish SH-2, Mi14, Spanish SH-60, AB212, Italian Merlin, Danish SH-60 etc. to choose from.

Just work on the fact it is a Naval air show and make the best of that with the best of filler making up the rest (RAF usuals, best of the civilian acts, some F-16s etc). :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby Finningley Boy on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 5:20 pm

Wissam and Caipercaillie,

I think the likes of an F-18 meet at Yeovilton wouldn't be too much of a snub to RIAT, after all, if the focus is on an aircraft designed primarily with maritime operations in mind then I don't think Yeovilton would be considered too much of an ambitious move to hold something like that there. As Wissam says, the idea of the next Yeovilton air day seeing Hornets and Super Hornets from as far afield as Australia and Canada, Finland and Spain wold be quite something and no throwing of the Gauntlet at the feet of RIAT at all. Yeovilton itself now is by far and away, since the demise of all the RAF Battle of Britain 'at homes' the largest one day military air show, albeit with little competition. But with the plug pulled on Waddington, it is now beyond doubt the largest military event other than RIAT at all within this sceptre isle. Time to think outside the Box! :cuppa: The upper one that is! :wink:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Postby Spotty_Jag on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 11:43 am

Finningley Boy wrote:Yeovilton itself now is by far and away, the largest one day military air show, albeit with little competition.

Depends on how you class 'largest' I suppose? Cosford gets a much bigger crowd, but Yeovilton pulls better display items.
Spotty_Jag

Postby cg_341 on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 11:56 am

Wissam24 wrote:Focusing on perhaps one particular aeroplane and suggesting it as a main event for that type.

Hmm, that concept sounds familiar... :whistle: :whistle:
cg_341

Postby Finningley Boy on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 3:24 pm

Spotty_Jag wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:Yeovilton itself now is by far and away, the largest one day military air show, albeit with little competition.

Depends on how you class 'largest' I suppose? Cosford gets a much bigger crowd, but Yeovilton pulls better display items.

I've never really rated an air show on the crowd it pulls and I can't imagine the gulf between the Cosford show and the Yeovilton one being that much of a chasm. It would, of course, be quite significant if say Cosford attracted a regular crowd which compared with RIAT. I have noticed that Cosford very quickly has a long queue of traffic, leaden in movement as well. Yeovilton I find I'm in quite quickly, the latter does seem a lot more porous with access points at one end and the other. Cosford seems more of a bottle neck. But without too much of a stark contrast in ticket sales, I think it is primarily what's going on overhead that really counts. In that case, in terms of content, Yeovilton has runs rings round everything outside of RIAT since the last Waddington air show in 2014. Many years ago I was speaking to someone at Yeovilton about the how that event compared with Culdrose, he accepted that Yeovilton attracted the more impressive line up of aircraft, but pointed out that Culdrose always made more money! I'm not sure this was maintained in recent years, hence the dropping of the Culdrose event, otherwise if it proved to be the more lucrative event to date I very much doubt it would have disappeared.

Best Regards,

FB
Finningley Boy

Postby Xray833 on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 7:18 pm

Finningley Boy wrote:
Spotty_Jag wrote:

", hence the dropping of the Culdrose event, otherwise if it proved to be the more lucrative event to date I very much doubt it would have disappeared."

FB

Don`t think it has much to do with money. The official line is " operational commitments" but more likely a "new broom " in charge.
Xray833

Postby Finningley Boy on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 7:55 pm

Xray833 wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:
Spotty_Jag wrote:

", hence the dropping of the Culdrose event, otherwise if it proved to be the more lucrative event to date I very much doubt it would have disappeared."

FB

Don`t think it has much to do with money. The official line is " operational commitments" but more likely a "new broom " in charge.

I think you're right Xray, there are plenty of reasons which may lay beneath the 'official line' but increasingly HM Forces seem less inclined as well as less endowed to make quite the same effort regarding air shows specifically, whatever is claimed. By the way, who are the actual originating authority for Culdrose and Yeovilton Air Days? Is it the Navy Board? The FAA Sea Lord or the respective Station Commanders? The RAF Cosford air show, I understand is held at the request, not just approval, of the Air Force Board. This was the same for Waddington and Leuchars and for all the former Battle of Britain displays held by the RAF. Those RAF stations which increasingly from the late 1960s held air days through the Summer months did so at the behest of the Station Commanders. This was seen, apparently, as a career stepping stone upward and forward at the time, but again, petered out following the end of the cold war in the early '90s. The last Station air day routinely held of course was St Mawgan IAD, in 1998. A station anniversary fully comprehensive public air day was held, quite as a one off at Valley in 2001, but since then as we well know, the rest is history. :sad:

FB :biggrin:
Finningley Boy

Postby Xray833 on Thu 02 Nov 2017, 2:25 pm

Early bird tickets are now on sale but it seems there will be no Photo call arrivals day this coming year. More “operational commitments” ?
Xray833

Postby rdchawk on Thu 02 Nov 2017, 2:26 pm

Xray833 wrote:Early bird tickets are now on sale but it seems there will be no Photo call arrivals day this coming year. More “operational commitments” ?

Or perhaps because for the last few years its been slated
Known as Red 13,
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team
rdchawk

Postby Paul_Reflex on Thu 02 Nov 2017, 5:59 pm

It only says that the arrivals day is under review on the website. Unless there's another source suggesting it's not taking place?
Paul_Reflex

Postby wools on Thu 02 Nov 2017, 9:21 pm

I asked the question of tickets for arrivals day yesterday and their reply was:

"Good afternoon,

Thank you for your message.

Arrivals Day is not available yet, we are waiting confirmation.

Please look at the website for any update."

Read what you will into whether it is going ahead.
wools

Postby Wissam24 on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 3:42 pm

Lithuanian Mi-8T and L-39 for static announced.

That's one hell of a way to open your participants sheet!
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Rick on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 3:43 pm

Great early update : Lithuanian Mil Mi-8T & L39 static :clap:
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.
Rick

Postby jalfrezi on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 3:52 pm

I got the email, though the photo in their email is of an Mi-17, not an Mi-8T, close enough I guess!

Good first update though....
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Postby Wissam24 on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 4:08 pm

jalfrezi wrote:I got the email, though the photo in their email is of an Mi-17, not an Mi-8T, close enough I guess!

No it isn't. It's a Mi-8MTV1. So, it's not a Mi-8T, but it's technically not a Mi-17 either.
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby G-CVIX on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 4:23 pm

Cracking start! Am I right in thinking they only have the one L-39?
G-CVIX

Postby jalfrezi on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 4:55 pm

Wissam24 wrote:
jalfrezi wrote:I got the email, though the photo in their email is of an Mi-17, not an Mi-8T, close enough I guess!

No it isn't. It's a Mi-8MTV1. So, it's not a Mi-8T, but it's technically not a Mi-17 either.

The Mi-8MTV1 was a civil variant, the MTV2 was the military version, however, for the export market both versions were known as the Mi-17-1V.

EDIT: though I guess if they weren't bought new and were secondhand they could be MTV1's....
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Postby Wissam24 on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 5:36 pm

jalfrezi wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:

The Mi-8MTV1 was a civil variant, the MTV2 was the military version, however, for the export market both versions were known as the Mi-17-1V.

EDIT: though I guess if they weren't bought new and were secondhand they could be MTV1's....

It literally says Mi-8MTV-1 on the side of the helicopter
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby jalfrezi on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 5:42 pm

Wissam24 wrote:It literally says Mi-8MTV-1 on the side of the helicopter

I couldn't see that on the photo in the email as it was too small, but you're right it's an MTV1.
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Postby Wissam24 on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 5:49 pm

Just a shame the show is one of the worst for trying to catch arrivals :'(
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Next

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days