2018 Yeovilton Air Day

Re: 2018 Yeovilton Air Day

Postby captainfurious on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 7:31 pm

I understand this point.

RIAT is in my opinion the biggest and best spectacle of them all. Therefore I have struggled to justify perhaps the smaller shows in addition to RIAT and Yeovilton which I attend yearly. Recently however I've been going to an additional new venue each year. Sure it's likely the aircraft won't match the aforementioned but it's certainly developed my passion for the hobby. The thrill of visiting a new base, not knowing the plan and it all being a bit different is something I'm really enjoying.

Yeovilton is a brilliant show and a good alternative to RIAT for a new experience. Certainly much smaller but a great size for families. The trade area and interactivity for the kids is brilliant. Also my little one has not watched the Red Arrows prepare to display at such close quarters, walked under an A10 or sat in an F16 at RIAT. And Yeovilton this is shaping up to be one of the best in years!
captainfurious

Postby NTFC1 on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 10:47 pm

capercaillie wrote:
NTFC1 wrote: We've been to the last 8 RIAT's and it's starting to feel a bit samey,apart from the odd "special flypast"

A bit samey? A quick count up and not including the USAFE flypasts, I can easily get to 17 acts that flew in 2017 that weren't there the year before including such gems as B-2, Ukrainian Su27, Couteau Delta, Czech Gripen, Spanish Hornet, Italian Tornado, C-27 and M346 and Belgian Sea King. And F-22 Raptor and Soloturk displays coming back are soooo boring.

A static park with UK debuts such as Canadian Globemaster and Chinook, Israeli C-130J and other assorted junk like U-2, B-1, Pakistani Herc, Aussie Wedgetail, yep its tedium in the extreme.

What do you want? :dunno:

Boring?,Who said anything about boring!,let alone soooo boring!!
Maybe poor terminology on my part using the word "samey" and FYI i wasn't comparing 2017 to 2016,I was talking about the last 8 RIAT's as a whole.
Don't get me wrong i've enjoyed every one,but at the same time have also been spoilt by them to the point where i honestly don't expect anything to be in the (flying) line up this year that i haven't seen there in the last 8.
I would love the 2 shows to be at opposite ends of the airshow season so we're able to do both,but as they're on successive weekends it's one or the other i'm afraid.
As yeovilton have the navy rafale pair & the added spectacle of flares used in the displays i feel that's the different experience my family & I are seeking.
NTFC1

Postby Berf on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 2:56 pm

Canadian CC130J static
Berf

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 4:02 pm

NTFC1 wrote:Don't get me wrong i've enjoyed every one,but at the same time have also been spoilt by them to the point where i honestly don't expect anything to be in the (flying) line up this year that i haven't seen there in the last 8.
I would love the 2 shows to be at opposite ends of the airshow season so we're able to do both,but as they're on successive weekends it's one or the other i'm afraid.

Its RAF100 this year, so RIAT will be different to both the last eight and the next eight. If you were to pick a year to skip RIAT, this may not be it.

And that's taking nothing away from Yeovilton. Its a great edition of great show brewing there. And the timing is unfortunate for you. But do be mindful when you make your pick, this year's RIAT is set to be 'the big one'.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Postby verreli on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 4:38 pm

I think that in a decade, when we look back, 2018 will be seen as the pinacle of the modern airshow era and the start of a steady decline. Will there even be an airshow in 2028? More and more types are ending their service life and being replaced with less variety and less colour.

Also consider that Yeovilton may be seeing a blip due to the RAF100 year. Given that this is a rare chance to see flares at a UK show, this year could be memorable. No doubt there will still be more to come too. If you are an enthusiast, RIAT may be the way to go. If you are taking the family, Yeovilton is likely the more spectacular day out for kids.
verreli

Postby capercaillie on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 4:54 pm

verreli wrote:I think that in a decade, when we look back, 2018 will be seen as the pinacle of the modern airshow era .

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Sorry no, missed that by at least 25 years. :lmao: :lmao:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby verreli on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 5:09 pm

capercaillie wrote:
verreli wrote:I think that in a decade, when we look back, 2018 will be seen as the pinacle of the modern airshow era .

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Sorry no, missed that by at least 25 years. :lmao: :lmao:

What do you consider modern? If > 25 years qualifies then I consider myself modern. Unfortunately, some would disagree.
verreli

Postby harkins on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 5:26 pm

Whilst I agree with you that 25 years ago is not the 'modern era' by at least 15 years, I don't agree that 2018 will be the pinnacle of the modern era but, at best a blip in what is already a steady decline that's been going on for around 25 years. I really am waiting to be convinced that this year will be significantly different from any of the last few if it all boils down to one mass(ish) flypast on the Friday at Fairford. And if the weather doesn't play ball during the expected flypast :sad:

Yeovilton does look to be a good show this year, but it's just a bit unfortunate that I'd find it tricky persuading my wife (and probably even myself) that it's justified traveling there from Manchester for an airshow when I'm disappearing to Fairford for nearly a week a couple of days later. Plus that starring into the sun is a bit frustrating (if there is any of course).
harkins

Postby verreli on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 5:52 pm

harkins wrote:Whilst I agree with you that 25 years ago is not the 'modern era' by at least 15 years, I don't agree that 2018 will be the pinnacle of the modern era but, at best a blip in what is already a steady decline that's been going on for around 25 years. I really am waiting to be convinced that this year will be significantly different from any of the last few if it all boils down to one mass(ish) flypast on the Friday at Fairford. And if the weather doesn't play ball during the expected flypast :sad:

I agree. So far there isn't anything unusual or new but given the effort that has gone into this year, by many people, it would be a huge surprise if we don't see a rare nation or airframe turn up, possibly both. It's only 21 March so 2 more months before it's time to get concerned. Personally, I think the biggest variable is the one we have every year, the weather. We must be due a scorcher?
Last edited by verreli on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
verreli

Postby Paul_Reflex on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 6:24 pm

There's an awful lot of RIAT talk in this thread!
Paul_Reflex

Postby harkins on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 8:12 pm

There's an awful lot of RIAT participants at Yeovilton (and vice versa). :tongue:
harkins

Postby Go4Long on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 8:28 pm

Coming from Canada I see it a little differently...Yeovilton would be hard to sell as it's own trip across the pond, but it's hard to say that it's not worth a few extra days to make it happen.
Go4Long

Postby verreli on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 10:39 pm

Go4Long wrote:Coming from Canada I see it a little differently...Yeovilton would be hard to sell as it's own trip across the pond, but it's hard to say that it's not worth a few extra days to make it happen.

Indeed, I would encourage it and you may find it the more enjoyable show. It's a nice part of the country near Yeovil too and not too far from the Jurassic coast to the south. While at RIAT, the Cotswolds to the north (where I live) has some picture postcard villages and is well worth a drive. Enjoy your trip to the UK.
verreli

Postby davidjones533 on Thu 22 Mar 2018, 9:13 am

I'm a big fan of both shows as they offer something different - certainly enough for me to justify the 460 mile round trip, before then heading off to RIAT the following Tuesday!

Yes, perhaps many of Yeovilton's flying displays can also be caught at RIAT, but it also usually has some gems of its own - so far this year including the Rafale pair, Danish F-16 and Atlantique, plus there's usually some displays from the home team - I seem to remember a joint Lynx and Wildcat display. They also attract some great static aircraft - including over the past few years the C-17, A-10, Martin Baker Meteor pair, Danish Lynx to name a few, and perhaps one or two of the museum rarities pulled out into the sunshine. For me however, the real difference is in how the show 'feels', being hosted on and by an active British base. It's quite intangible, but gives fond memories of Waddington in that respect. For kids, there's always plenty to keep them occupied in the hangars, while the home team always have a couple of Wildcat's and perhaps a Merlin open for them to explore. With many of the display aircraft parked crowd-side there's plenty to see in that respect as well. Not to say you don't get that at RIAT, it's just all a little more accessible on a smaller site.

Of course, the one stand-out item that made Yeovilton unique and worth the ticket price alone was sadly missing last year, and we all hope of the return of the Commando demo this year.
davidjones533

Postby harkins on Thu 22 Mar 2018, 11:39 am

davidjones533 wrote:I'm a big fan of both shows as they offer something different - certainly enough for me to justify the 460 mile round trip, before then heading off to RIAT the following Tuesday!

Yes, perhaps many of Yeovilton's flying displays can also be caught at RIAT, but it also usually has some gems of its own - so far this year including the Rafale pair, Danish F-16 and Atlantique, plus there's usually some displays from the home team - I seem to remember a joint Lynx and Wildcat display. They also attract some great static aircraft - including over the past few years the C-17, A-10, Martin Baker Meteor pair, Danish Lynx to name a few, and perhaps one or two of the museum rarities pulled out into the sunshine. For me however, the real difference is in how the show 'feels', being hosted on and by an active British base. It's quite intangible, but gives fond memories of Waddington in that respect. For kids, there's always plenty to keep them occupied in the hangars, while the home team always have a couple of Wildcat's and perhaps a Merlin open for them to explore. With many of the display aircraft parked crowd-side there's plenty to see in that respect as well. Not to say you don't get that at RIAT, it's just all a little more accessible on a smaller site.

Of course, the one stand-out item that made Yeovilton unique and worth the ticket price alone was sadly missing last year, and we all hope of the return of the Commando demo this year.

I'm a little envious of your expendable income and your very tolerant family. I have made the 420 mile round trip on top of an Air Tattoo before myself, but that was when I had carte blanche to do what I wanted with my time and money.
harkins

Postby Wissam24 on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 4:02 pm

Auster AOP9 – Private (Static)
Auster AOP6 – Private (Static)
O-1A Bird Dog – Private (Static)
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Tommy on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 3:05 pm

I was looking at attending their May event, and I've just spotted that it appears the Navy Wings/Crewkerne Wessex (XT761 :love: ) hopes to make its debut (unspecified whether flying or static) at Yeovilton if engineering goes well.

This is the press release in February: https://www.navywings.org.uk/news-blog/ ... -day-2018/

See the progress of the Navy Wessex restoration project – Is she on schedule for her planned first Air show at Yeovilton in July?

Edited to add, for completeness, the Navy Wings page on the machine has "Flying 2018 TBC" as its status.

To think they only took delivery of that machine last July, that they could have it flying again by this July, a machine that hasn't flown for 30 years is mental. What outstanding work.

https://www.navywings.org.uk/aircraft/a ... /wessex-5/
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Andyperkins on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 4:17 pm

Rich Goodwin Pitts S-2S Special (Flying) added
Andyperkins

Postby Andyperkins on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 3:40 pm

Poster revealed...

Andyperkins

Postby Witchcraft24 on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 5:27 pm

Canadian CF18 in the flying display.... I must have missed that!
Witchcraft24

Postby Andyperkins on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 7:17 pm

Witchcraft24 wrote:Canadian CF18 in the flying display.... I must have missed that!

Was one of the first announcements back in December.
Andyperkins

Postby Witchcraft24 on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 7:43 pm

Ah yes, found it.... do the CF18 and the Zeus F-16 use flares in their displays?
Witchcraft24

Postby Go4Long on Sun 01 Apr 2018, 3:04 am

Witchcraft24 wrote:Ah yes, found it.... do the CF18 and the Zeus F-16 use flares in their displays?

Neither do as far as I know. Watched footage of Zeus if Radom and there were no flares. And I’ve seen the Canadians probably 100 times, they do a wall of fire, but no flares.
Go4Long

Postby davidjones533 on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 11:20 am

RAF Typhoon officially confirmed.
davidjones533

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 12:54 pm

I'm assuming with Southport on the same weekend, the Typhoon won't operate from Yeovilton?
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

PreviousNext

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days