2018 Yeovilton Air Day

Re: 2018 Yeovilton Air Day

Postby davidjones533 on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 10:59 am

Last edited by davidjones533 on Wed 12 Sep 2018, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidjones533

Postby AARDVARK on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 11:16 am

What an absolute amazing show this is turning into ,hats off to the team .
AARDVARK

Postby Albion143 on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 11:22 am

I know its quite a statement to make but this could very well be the best VL ever. What a show and still 2 and a bit months to go.
Albion143

Postby Andyperkins on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 11:39 am

Albion143 wrote:I know its quite a statement to make but this could very well be the best VL ever. What a show and still 2 and a bit months to go.

Certainly since I started attending again in 2009 (since then the best IMO was 2011) it is looking like it could be the best yet but best ever is a bit of a push, I still have fond memories of the 90s when I first started going with my Dad which had the likes of the SU-27, B-1 and that one year when half the deck of a US carrier turned up, the one and only time I have seen an F-14 :smile:
Andyperkins

Postby davidjones533 on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 11:54 am

Last edited by davidjones533 on Wed 12 Sep 2018, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidjones533

Postby AARDVARK on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 11:55 am

Yeah I remember that year with all the US Carrier stuff(thanks to fog in the Channel lol)last minute participants so I dropped everything and went that year ,camped with my ex in farmers field opposite runaway to watch it all leave on the Monday .
AARDVARK

Postby AARDVARK on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 11:56 am

What an absolute amazing show this is turning into ,hats off to the team .
AARDVARK

Postby Jonnym on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 12:06 pm

What an update!!... Heading there for the first time this year and what a show it’s setting to be. Can only hope that the commando finale makes it’s return to complete this as it’s something I’ve only seen pics of.
Jonnym

Postby Andyperkins on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 12:06 pm

AARDVARK wrote:Yeah I remember that year with all the US Carrier stuff(thanks to fog in the Channel lol)last minute participants so I dropped everything and went that year ,camped with my ex in farmers field opposite runaway to watch it all leave on the Monday .

Not sure on the year but I would have been maybe 10 or 11 years old and can still remember turning the corner and seeing the back of it (I said something like 'Dad that's from Top Gun :grin: ) and then another and another and F-18s :drool:
Andyperkins

Postby st24 on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 12:21 pm

Andyperkins wrote:
AARDVARK wrote:Yeah I remember that year with all the US Carrier stuff(thanks to fog in the Channel lol)last minute participants so I dropped everything and went that year ,camped with my ex in farmers field opposite runaway to watch it all leave on the Monday .

Not sure on the year but I would have been maybe 10 or 11 years old and can still remember turning the corner and seeing the back of it (I said something like 'Dad that's from Top Gun :grin: ) and then another and another and F-18s :drool:

' 96.One of the few Yeoviltons I missed :sad:
Great updates for the show, such a pity its a pigs ear to do these days...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby Albion143 on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 12:47 pm

Andyperkins wrote:
Albion143 wrote:I know its quite a statement to make but this could very well be the best VL ever. What a show and still 2 and a bit months to go.

Certainly since I started attending again in 2009 (since then the best IMO was 2011) it is looking like it could be the best yet but best ever is a bit of a push, I still have fond memories of the 90s when I first started going with my Dad which had the likes of the SU-27, B-1 and that one year when half the deck of a US carrier turned up, the one and only time I have seen an F-14 :smile:

Unfortunately wasn't about at that time so cant comment. Sounds like quite the line up though!!
Albion143

Postby Frogfoot on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 1:31 pm

Andyperkins wrote:

2011 was a good year, especially with Team Viper and the MiG-29, but I would argue that 2013 or 2014 were better!
Frogfoot

Postby Andyperkins on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 1:57 pm

Frogfoot wrote:
Andyperkins wrote:

2011 was a good year, especially with Team Viper and the MiG-29, but I would argue that 2013 or 2014 were better!

Guess I am biased against those years as I am not a fan of 30c+ heat, till this day I don't remember much of 2013 just looking around in the morning then the BBMF and the walk back to the car :sweat:
Andyperkins

Postby Frogfoot on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 2:17 pm

Shame the Alize wasn’t included in today’s update but I certainly can’t complain!
Last edited by Frogfoot on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frogfoot

Postby Frogfoot on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 2:19 pm

Fingers crossed for good weather this year and few cancellations.
Last edited by Frogfoot on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frogfoot

Postby Albion143 on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 2:32 pm

Andyperkins wrote:
Frogfoot wrote:
Andyperkins wrote:

Guess I am biased against those years as I am not a fan of 30c+ heat, till this day I don't remember much of 2013 just looking around in the morning then the BBMF and the walk back to the car :sweat:

Now you mention it the memories are flooding back. Don't think that much sun cream has been used at a UK airshow ever!!
Albion143

Postby Andyperkins on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 2:34 pm

Frogfoot wrote:Let’s hope we’re treated to good weather this year and few cancellations.

Weather like that of last week would be very welcome (plenty of sunshine, blue skies, 24c, gentle breeze) :smile:

Still remember the last Yeovilton I did before stopping, think it was 2003 and I have a vivid memory of sitting in the pouring rain while a Merlin did a display, was sick for a week after that lol
Andyperkins

Postby Wissam24 on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 3:35 pm

Simply sensational additions and announcements today. Brilliant stuff.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Tommy on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 3:36 pm

Agree. Really toppers stuff announced today. :rock:
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Pringles on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 5:47 pm

The clip posted to Twitter suggests the Alize will be included in the flypast? Hope so as it's the one of the three I most want to see!
https://twitter.com/YeoviltonAirDay/sta ... 58656?s=19
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby G-CVIX on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 5:48 pm

Unbelievable additions for a UK show. Very exciting stuff.
G-CVIX

Postby tankbuster on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 6:25 pm

Andyperkins wrote:
Milguy22 wrote:Hope this is ok to post here. This will be my first time attending Yeovilton. I'm travelling from Lowestoft and I just want to know what traffic is like and parking at the event. Is it a nightmare where I will sit hours in traffic waiting to park or is it quite smooth? Thanks for any help.

As long as you get there early (before opening) you should be fine but being one of the few shows left where you can buy tickets on the day it can be hard to judge as a good weather forecast can suddenly up attendance which will of course lead to queues.

Fast looking like the show of the summer, so a bit of fine weather and we'll all be queuing up very early.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby Andyperkins on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 12:45 pm

Didn't see it mentioned but looks like the Commando Assault will be making a return but will be a smaller scale version.
Andyperkins

Postby Berf on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 1:00 pm

Andyperkins wrote:Didn't see it mentioned but looks like the Commando Assault will be making a return but will be a smaller scale version.

Yes this was 'officially' mentioned very early but I can't find it now
Berf

Postby PirateTrickster on Thu 26 Apr 2018, 9:15 am

Going to be my first Yeovilton - think I'm being spoilt!

I do have a question about the Commando Assault - it feels like you will only get the full spectacle if you're on the fence - is this right? I will not be on the fence as I will have 2 young nephews with me so we'll be watching from a lot further back.
PirateTrickster

PreviousNext

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days