2018 Yeovilton Air Day

Re: 2018 Yeovilton Air Day

Postby The Baron on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 12:12 pm

Stagger2 wrote:
PirateTrickster wrote:Thanks for the feedback (that sun website is an excellent resource, thanks for putting me onto that - suggests sun is perpendicular to the main runway just after 13.00!). I will likely stick to my original plan of stopping off at the Army Museum of Flying which I've never been too, enroute down to the West Country.

I wouldn't delay at MW. Museum! Every day of every week the A303 is stationary past Stonehenge & multiple other locations where two lanes merge into one. Saturday being a holiday change-over day, you would be mad not to get going to Yeovilton asap. hth. :wink:

Or avoid the 303. It's just a suggestion but you could always go from Middle Wallop down to Salisbury and then take the slower A30 through Shaftesbury and Sherborne, or take the A354 to Blandford then cut across country. Both might seem longer but the 303 is likely to be gridlocked not just a Stonehenge but everywhere that it goes from dual to single carriageway.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby Xray833 on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 1:41 pm

The Baron wrote:Or avoid the 303. It's just a suggestion but you could always go from Middle Wallop down to Salisbury and then take the slower A30 through Shaftesbury and Sherborne, or take the A354 to Blandford then cut across country. Both might seem longer but the 303 is likely to be gridlocked not just a Stonehenge but everywhere that it goes from dual to single carriageway.

Good suggestions above but if you really must use the A303 a stop off at the AAC museum, Middle Wallop is a good idea. Leave the A303 at Andover and take the A343 to Middle Wallop. The museum is excellent and I can recommend the restaurant. When you leave turn left and go into Salisbury on the A30, pick up the A36 through Wilton to rejoin the A303 at Wylye. At least that way you will miss one of the worst bottlenecks at Amesbury/Stonehenge. You may still encounter some delays but they will not be as bad as rejoining the A303 just north of Boscombe Down, the way your sat nav will probably tell you.
Xray833

Postby Andyperkins on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 4:47 pm

Sea King HU5 - Heli Operations (Static)
A former Royal Navy search and rescue (SAR) Sea King is a very welcome addition to our static display at Air Day on Saturday 7 July!
Andyperkins

Postby PirateTrickster on Tue 26 Jun 2018, 10:57 am

Xray833 wrote:
The Baron wrote:Or avoid the 303. It's just a suggestion but you could always go from Middle Wallop down to Salisbury and then take the slower A30 through Shaftesbury and Sherborne, or take the A354 to Blandford then cut across country. Both might seem longer but the 303 is likely to be gridlocked not just a Stonehenge but everywhere that it goes from dual to single carriageway.

Good suggestions above but if you really must use the A303 a stop off at the AAC museum, Middle Wallop is a good idea. Leave the A303 at Andover and take the A343 to Middle Wallop. The museum is excellent and I can recommend the restaurant. When you leave turn left and go into Salisbury on the A30, pick up the A36 through Wilton to rejoin the A303 at Wylye. At least that way you will miss one of the worst bottlenecks at Amesbury/Stonehenge. You may still encounter some delays but they will not be as bad as rejoining the A303 just north of Boscombe Down, the way your sat nav will probably tell you.

Thanks for the advice - will follow one of those suggestions, thanks for your help.
PirateTrickster

Postby trebleone on Tue 26 Jun 2018, 5:02 pm

UPDATE (via twitter):
CONFIRMED: We are delighted to announce the Qatar Emiri Air Force will make its Air Day debut with a C-130J-30 Hercules at #Yeovilton18 on Sat 7 July! It will be joining a staggering line-up of six other ‘heavies’ on static display @RNASYeovilton. http://bit.ly/AirDay18RN
trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Postby Wissam24 on Tue 26 Jun 2018, 6:57 pm

Hell of a curveball it must be said
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby harkins on Tue 26 Jun 2018, 7:10 pm

Cracking addition. Getting very tempting to go to Yeovilton this year. It's just such a long way.
harkins

Postby Tommy on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 9:42 pm

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Tom105 on Tue 03 Jul 2018, 4:08 pm

C-27J Spartan - Lithuanian Air Force (Static) :clap: :clap:
KDC-10 - Royal Netherlands Air Force - CANCELLED
Shame about the DC10.
Thomas
Tom105

Postby Andyperkins on Tue 03 Jul 2018, 4:19 pm

It is a shame to loose one of the heavies but adding a Spartan at such a late stage is fantastic work :clap:
Andyperkins

Postby rdchawk on Tue 03 Jul 2018, 4:58 pm

I assume the C27 is the one for RIAT?
Known as Red 13,
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team
rdchawk

Postby jamyt123 on Tue 03 Jul 2018, 5:40 pm

rdchawk wrote:I assume the C27 is the one for RIAT?

Well considering Lithuania only own 3 Spartans, it's pretty likely to be the same one
jamyt123

Postby tankbuster on Tue 03 Jul 2018, 9:16 pm

Where are they going to put the big screen for the football?
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby Darren50 on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 7:20 am

tankbuster wrote:Where are they going to put the big screen for the football?

Most obvious place would be somewhere along the display line, in front of grandstands maybe. You have 2 eyes don't you, One for planes and one for football!!! Wun, win situation ☺
Darren50

Postby MiG_Eater on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 9:01 am

jamyt123 wrote:
rdchawk wrote:I assume the C27 is the one for RIAT?

Well considering Lithuania only own 3 Spartans, it's pretty likely to be the same one

I'd say there's approximately a 33% chance.
MiG_Eater

Postby tankbuster on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 9:49 am

Darren50 wrote:
tankbuster wrote:Where are they going to put the big screen for the football?

Most obvious place would be somewhere along the display line, in front of grandstands maybe. You have 2 eyes don't you, One for planes and one for football!!! Wun, win situation ☺

:clap: :clap:
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby Albion143 on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 6:48 pm

According to their Facebook page they will be showing the football match! Happy with that, was considering not going as I’m sure a few others were!!
Albion143

Postby shaggy101 on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 10:07 pm

Hi everyone, I'm looking at doing departures on the Sunday, can anyone recommend a good spot please? I've heard of the sheep field & I presume that's the field on the other side of the river?
Dan,
shaggy101

Postby davidjones533 on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 4:21 am

Last edited by davidjones533 on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidjones533

Postby The Baron on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 5:21 am

shaggy101 wrote:Hi everyone, I'm looking at doing departures on the Sunday, can anyone recommend a good spot please? I've heard of the sheep field & I presume that's the field on the other side of the river?

First; I'm not sure when the access restrictions are lifted but I'd imagine the area will still be difficult to navigate on Sunday.
Second; I think most aircraft either leave on Saturday evening or on Monday. Sunday is normally pretty quiet.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby solent on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 6:52 am

Hi,

Does anybody know the Red Arrows time slot on Saturday. I have been looking at the Red Arrows Website for Transit Times but it has not been updated.

I guess I will keep checking.

Many Thanks
solent

Postby shaggy101 on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 7:29 am

The Baron wrote:
shaggy101 wrote:Hi everyone, I'm looking at doing departures on the Sunday, can anyone recommend a good spot please? I've heard of the sheep field & I presume that's the field on the other side of the river?

First; I'm not sure when the access restrictions are lifted but I'd imagine the area will still be difficult to navigate on Sunday.
Second; I think most aircraft either leave on Saturday evening or on Monday. Sunday is normally pretty quiet.

Cheers mate, looks like I'll have to find something else to do then
Dan,
shaggy101

Postby Wissam24 on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 8:57 am

Fleet Air Arm Museum!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby AARDVARK on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 10:07 am

davidjones533 wrote:

So I guess it depends what is scheduled to display when it’s on. Some things I am willing to miss, others....

Iam sure we will know the progress of the game from the noise coming from that area :yahoo:
AARDVARK

Postby ted633 on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 10:38 am

BBMF on at 16.05. Looks like just 1 Spitfire with the Dakota instead of 2
2018 - Season Premier, Fly Navy, Military Pageant, Yeovilton, RIAT, BHFoF, Dunsfold
ted633

PreviousNext

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days