The Future of Waddo Airshow.

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
motormouser

The Future of Waddo Airshow.

Post by motormouser »

A bit of info ref. Waddington Airshow 2016(ish)!

http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2014/10/stil ... -air-show/

Burleysway

Re: The Future of Waddo Airshow.

Post by Burleysway »

An interesting read, thanks for posting. Fingers crossed for 2016

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

There was an update about the new runway today
http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/RAF-W ... story.html
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

Burleysway

Post by Burleysway »

craig.mason wrote:There was an update about the new runway today

A massive engineering project then. Didn't realise the scale of it. Not just a case of slapping some new tarmac down. Thanks for keeping us updated.............

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

craig.mason wrote:There was an update about the new runway today

....buried somewhere amongst about 10 adverts including a full-screen pop-over. Interesting piece to finally read (and thanks for linking) but, by God, I hate webpages like that :wall:

Ray Purchase

Post by Ray Purchase »

Not entirely sure about why the resurfacing process is destined to take so long.

I had a letter from my council that they are to resurface my road (approx. 1 mile long), and from start to finish would take 3 days.

If Waddington's runway is just short of 2 miles long, then I calculate this could be wrapped up in a week. Plenty of time for a 2015 airshow to take place?
That was the best full English breakfast I've had since Gary Wilmot's wedding.

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

Ray Purchase wrote:Not entirely sure about why the resurfacing process is destined to take so long.

I had a letter from my council that they are to resurface my road (approx. 1 mile long), and from start to finish would take 3 days.

If Waddington's runway is just short of 2 miles long, then I calculate this could be wrapped up in a week. Plenty of time for a 2015 airshow to take place?

:grin: Class.
HTAFC

sylvancatharsis

Post by sylvancatharsis »

Ray Purchase wrote:Not entirely sure about why the resurfacing process is destined to take so long.

This is sarcasm, right? You do realize that runways are constructed in an entirely different manner to streets?
Author of CULT OF THE WYVERN, a novel about Westland Wyverns and aliens. (Really.)
Flicky Flicky

sdad

Post by sdad »

Could you please fill us in a bit on the "different manner", without getting too technical?

Ray Purchase

Post by Ray Purchase »

Also, I'm a little bemused where they get the figure £35million from?

A local family firm recently did my father's drive (excellent job- smooth as a babys).
I'm pretty sure given the job, they could do it for a fraction of the price (only problem being the MOD would have to pay cash).

john001

Post by john001 »

Ray Purchase wrote:Also, I'm a little bemused where they get the figure £35million from?

A local family firm recently did my father's drive (excellent job- smooth as a babys).
I'm pretty sure given the job, they could do it for a fraction of the price (only problem being the MOD would have to pay cash).

It's probably the little white sparkly bits - they are expensive and you need a lot of them for a runway

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

Ray Purchase wrote:Also, I'm a little bemused where they get the figure £35million from?

They weren't Irish were they ?

Oh. you said local :-)
HTAFC

sylvancatharsis

Post by sylvancatharsis »

sdad wrote:Could you please fill us in a bit on the "different manner", without getting too technical?

Sure. For instance, your average road doesn't have in-pavement lighting systems which have to be painstakingly precise in order to conform to international regulations. Then there's the issue of pavement markings. Here in the States, the advisory circular that gives guidance on airport markings is a whopping 144 pages long. And that's just the stuff you see.

Admittedly I'm no expert on the engineering specifics, but I've been in the airport management business for coming on a decade now and have seen two major runway reconstruction projects take place. Between the boring samples, weight bearing computations, multi-level material laying, pavement grooving, incorporation of new tech like built-in deicing systems that some airports are now implementing, etc. it takes at least several months, and I don't pity the poor soul who's got to plan it.
Author of CULT OF THE WYVERN, a novel about Westland Wyverns and aliens. (Really.)
Flicky Flicky

Ray Purchase

Post by Ray Purchase »

sylvancatharsis wrote:
sdad wrote:Could you please fill us in a bit on the "different manner", without getting too technical?

Sure. For instance, your average road doesn't have in-pavement lighting systems which have to be painstakingly precise in order to conform to international regulations. Then there's the issue of pavement markings. Here in the States, the advisory circular that gives guidance on airport markings is a whopping 144 pages long. And that's just the stuff you see.

Admittedly I'm no expert on the engineering specifics, but I've been in the airport management business for coming on a decade now and have seen two major runway reconstruction projects take place. Between the boring samples, weight bearing computations, multi-level material laying, pavement grooving, incorporation of new tech like built-in deicing systems that some airports are now implementing, etc. it takes at least several months, and I don't pity the poor soul who's got to plan it.

OK, give them 2 weeks to get it done. Still time for the airshow.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

The construction of runways is totally different to that of public roads. You'd have to extremely naive to think the tarmac laid on a public highway could withstand the weight/pressure of an E-3D Sentry smashing into it daily!

st24

Post by st24 »

I thought they were extending the runway at the 02 end?? And also taking out the rather distinctive "hump"??
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

I believe the reason its taking so long is because, as the Station Commander said they are removing the whole thing right back to the stuff laid in World War 2.

And I think its being done stage by stage, by that I take it the middle first and then one end or the other (with the extension bit).

Tim S

SilentFlight

Post by SilentFlight »

Its basically digging down 20ft and removing everything to the dirt beneath. This has to be built up and strengthened to accommodate the aircraft. In addition 2 tear drops will be added at either end to accommodate Voyager and other large aircraft as well as work to the taxyway entrance/exits. All the airfield electronic systems including lighting will be modernised and made brought in line with those found at civil airports. This takes time, bearing in mind the Waddington hump will cease to exist as the runway will be flat when completed. Furthermore some of the materials used in the build can only be laid and set in certain temperature ranges. So an Airshow is 2015 is a no go!

adamp89

Post by adamp89 »

i always thought the hump affected the taxiway down the far side of the airfield as well as the runway?
Adam

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Not trying to sound like a killjoy,

However I would currently suggest that the state of the Lincolnshire Police Force will pose a bigger threat to Waddington returning than the RAF review....

Lincolnshire Police chief says force will go out of business in letter to the Home Secretary

http://www.bostontarget.co.uk/Lincolnsh ... story.html

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

boff180 wrote:Not trying to sound like a killjoy,

However I would currently suggest that the state of the Lincolnshire Police Force will pose a bigger threat to Waddington returning than the RAF review....

Lincolnshire Police chief says force will go out of business in letter to the Home Secretary

Well at least we'll all be able to park on the road under the approach now. I hear its good for videoing Typhoons and Turkish F-16s from there. :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:
boff180 wrote:Not trying to sound like a killjoy,

Well at least we'll all be able to park on the road under the approach now. I hear its good for videoing Typhoons and Turkish F-16s from there. :whistle:

Indeed. A free cabriolet conversion service courtesy of 41Sqn and Solo Turk... :hide:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Any news SilentFlight on the RAF Airshow review regarding the future of the RAF Waddington Airshow?

If the RAF decides that for the show to survive it needs to be moved to a non-operational airfield (if RAF Waddington cannot accommodate it after its upgrade) so becoming the 'RAF Air Show' are there any non operational RAF bases that could host the show with minimum impact to the services provided by the base?

RAF Scampton (there are rumours that apparently Lincolnshire Council want to build a visitor attraction there)?
RAF Cottesmore (now Kendrew Barracks) which hosted RIAT in 2000/2001?
RAF Wittering?

Could a Civilian Airfield host the show?
RAF Church Fenton now in civilian hands?
Robin Hood Airport ( ex RAF Finingley - the 'home' of RAF Airshows which only has a handful of civilian flights)?

Could it be that the RAF want the RAF Waddington/ RAF show to be a entirely self funded/ run/ sustained event with minimum RAF involvement such that it does not require any RAF involvement to set up or run? (apart from the organising team which will remain - I hope), all the RAF will do is provide the airfield and the organisers must do everything else and fund it?

Is it possible that the RAF Waddington airshow will have to become like RIAT ( self funded and managed but staged at an USAF/ RAF base with the RAFs seal of approval)?

Only speculation at the moment........ but hopefully we will have some news soon on the RAF's premier international air shows return.

Good luck Silentflight and team.

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

RAF Scampton (there are rumours that apparently Lincolnshire Council want to build a visitor attraction there)?

Poor infrastructure; no chance.

RAF Cottesmore (now Kendrew Barracks) which hosted RIAT in 2000/2001?

Cost of bringing a non-active station back to airworthy status for a one off event? No chance.

RAF Wittering?

As above. Remember it's not just runways.

Could a Civilian Airfield host the show?

RAF show at a civilian field? £££; no chance.

RAF Church Fenton now in civilian hands?

As above, and poor transport links; no chance.

Robin Hood Airport ( ex RAF Finingley - the 'home' of RAF Airshows which only has a handful of civilian flights)?

A handfuls of civilian flights? Or that it's an international airport operated as a business. Think they'd want the great unwashed crawling all over a security restricted airport these days? No chance.

Waddington is a memory. Unless on the very small chance it returns in 2016, it's gone for good.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Slappywag wrote:Waddington is a memory. Unless on the very small chance it returns in 2016, it's gone for good.

This. No point bringing it back, either - once gone, hard to resurrect. Let the RAF focus their attention on RIAT and Cosford - two perfectly viable events to cover the loss of Waddington.