Military pageant - Navy 5 July

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Lomcevak26

Re: Military pageant - Navy 5 July

Post by Lomcevak26 »

Sea Hurri is OW-based Huw. :smile:

Don't forget the Wasp either - guessing its John Beattie in the dark-schemed G-BZPP? Presuming he's flying the Skyraider too - a busy half-hour or so for him if so!

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Lomcevak26 wrote:Sea Hurri is OW-based Huw. :smile:

Don't forget the Wasp either - guessing its John Beattie in the dark-schemed G-BZPP? Presuming he's flying the Skyraider too - a busy half hour or so for him!

I'd imagine the Wasp is the camo machine belonging to Kennet Aviation at North Weald. It splits it's time between Kennet's 'Area 51' hangar and Tim Manna's new back garden adjacent to the runway at Old Warden. Tim Manna himself displays the machine on occasion (such as at Duxford in May), which leaves either John Beattie or one of the (ex-?) RNHF pilots to fly the Skyraider. I can't remember the chap's name, but I'm sure he used to fly the Sea Fury and Sea Hawk.

Paul Bonhomme flew the Skyraider when he was with TFC, not sure if he still does, so he's another possibility (albeit a less likely one).

I'm guessing Rod Dean will fly the Seafire, John Beattie the Skyraider and Tim Manna the Wasp.

Lomcevak26

Post by Lomcevak26 »

Thanks for that info

EMarsh wrote:Paul Bonhomme flew the Skyraider when he was with TFC

Indeed he did, and in some style too! Four and eight-point rolls a speciality!

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Lomcevak26 wrote:Thanks for that info

EMarsh wrote:Paul Bonhomme flew the Skyraider when he was with TFC

Indeed he did, and in some style too! Four and eight-point rolls a speciality!

They were something special. Gear down flypast with the cockpit open? Whilst waving? You're 'avin' a laugh, sunshine! :shock:

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

st24 wrote:
DamienB wrote:So which ones are the visiting 'Royal Navy' aircraft?

When you find them let me know!

They are at Yeovilton!!!

Looks like quite a good show and lets just hope that the weather is good enough to get a good display. :biggrin:

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

Lomcevak26 wrote:Sea Hurri is OW-based Huw. :smile:

Don't forget the Wasp either - guessing its John Beattie in the dark-schemed G-BZPP? Presuming he's flying the Skyraider too - a busy half-hour or so for him if so!

I know, I was generally referring to the theme :wink:

st24

Post by st24 »

So was this show worth the extra £5 per adult? Quite a few cancellations - Avro 19, B2, FW44, and wind casualties - Edwardians and the Daglin. Okay we had the 'radier, sabre and Sea fire but...... well, as much as I enjoyed it, especially when the sun came out, I don't think it was.
Anyone else..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Yesterday's show was a superb effort by all involved (as always at Old Warden). Apologies for any incoherence and suchlike in the following post, it's all been done in a bit of a hurry!

The day started with some questionable weather conditions around the Stansted area, as I passed through a shower on the M11 before dropping into Duxford to check out the Sea Fury and MS406 and boy, do they look good. Got to Old Warden and parked up without any problems, despite there being a fairly large crowd by Shuttleworth standards. Given that all the visiting items were on the airfield, I decided to sample a flight-line tour for £5, allowing you unrestricted access to the aircraft on the live side (as long as you don't touch or steal anything...). Much better than the £4 flight-line walk at Duxford, with the same bog standard angles and distant aircraft. Disappointed that the sun decided to do a runner just as the tour started, but what can you do?

On to the flying, then. The based aircraft were flown with typical Shuttleworth gusto. Trevor Roche's Sopwith Triplane display in particular, despite the minor prang (if it could even be called that) on landing, was one of the best WWI aircraft displays I've seen and gave the warbirds a run for their money. As the day progressed, the weather cleared to near cloudless blue skies, allowing for some beautiful light on the aircraft. Certain types such as the Tomtit and Gladiator, given their all-over silver 'attire', always look stunning as it heads toward early evening. What can be said about the home team's displays that hasn't been said elsewhere? Simply superb.

The show featured several visiting acts, all of whom are, in many respects, rare performers in that they've been on the circuit for years, but organisers have failed to take advantage of them. The Sea Hurricane/Seafire/Skyraider formation was expertly flown, particularly given the varying sizes and speeds of the aicraft involved. Dave Mackay (sp?) - the Royal Navy one - flew the Seafire in a pleasing routine with plenty of top-side angles and tight turns, followed by the legendary John Beattie in the Skyraider. A little more subdued than his last Skyraider solo at the Military Pageant 2007, but a fine showing nonetheless. It's always remarkable how agile the 'raider is - a real beast of a machine. Having it operate from Old Warden - surely the largest type to do so? - was a bonus, too.

Following the Naval theme were the Harvard pair, flown by Rod Dean and one of the Collection pilots whose name escapes me, featuring two lesser spotted 'Texans' (one from Kennet, the other an all-blue machine that is/was based at Shoreham for some time). They put on a top notch formation and tailchase routine which was, for me, one of the highlights. It's surprising how little we see of the Harvard on the circuit, given the number of privately owned examples flying in the UK at present! Tim Manna put in a good showing in Kennet's Westland Wasp, before parking up in his garden on the far side of the airfield!

Two newcomers to Old Warden were the Stearman and Nanchang CJ-6, the latter of which used the dog-leg crowdline to full advantage. More of the Nanchang, please. The Stearman put on some quality aerobatics, followed by a number of 'side slipping' passes at lower altitude. The Cessna Bird Dog is a good looking, spritely performer and is always good value for low, fast and close passes; I'm looking forward to seeing it again at Little Gransden in August.

It was left to the Sabre to close the show in fine style, with Mark Linney flying a superb routine as always. The Sabre is getting the swansong she deserves and I'm sure it'll be sorely missed in years to come. Display of the day? Quite possibly.

Unfortunately, the wind picked up towards the end of the display, causing the cancellation of the Edwardians and Dagling glider launch, however having seen the Avro Triplane battling with the lighter winds earlier in the day, I'd much rather not see them than have the pilots risk their lives to display in adverse weather conditions. There's always next time.

So, was it worth an extra £5? In my opinion, it probably just scraped it - the quality and quantity of the visiting items, coupled with the ultra-rare Collection aircraft that you just can't see anywhere else, made it worthwhile. Further, with elderly aircraft, some cancellations are to be expected. Credit to the Collection for 'subbing' the Southern Martlett for the Blackburn B2. All in all, a fantastic, relaxed day's entertainment with some typically excellent flying and a slick flying programme that puts many larger shows to shame.

glencoe

Post by glencoe »

Not really wanting to enter this debate as I had enough of them within the SVAS Photo Section, but bearing in mind the aircraft the collection have, is £5 too much to ask to give to ensure these wonderful aircraft are kept not only in tip-top condition, but also in the air. I am sure that the(extra) money raised by yesterday's event will go towards just that.

There is always another aspect those who don't like paying the entrance fees could look at ... join the SVAS and get some benefits as shown on their website page

http://www.svasweb.org/benefits.php

Just my opinion & not meant as a dig etc.