D-Day Airshow - 6 June 2010

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
stuart n

Re: D-Day Airshow - 6 June 2010

Post by stuart n »

I'll be there unless the forecast looks really bad. Wouldn't read too much into the BBC forecast just yet, they said it'd rain all day at Duxford and it held off until the end.....

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:If this weather holds, I hope to be there - BBC saying cloud and thunder storms for Sunday at the moment though. :sad:

I shuldn't worry, theres probably some moist air moving northward or something and they have no idea what will happen so have said this. In reality if some thundery outbursts do happen they could occur anywhere; Kent, Oxfordshire, Leicestershire...

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

HuwJHopkins wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:If this weather holds, I hope to be there - BBC saying cloud and thunder storms for Sunday at the moment though. :sad:

I shuldn't worry, theres probably some moist air moving northward or something and they have no idea what will happen so have said this. In reality if some thundery outbursts do happen they could occur anywhere; Kent, Oxfordshire, Leicestershire...

I looked again - it said thunder earlier, now it just says pissing rain, with masses of stuff on the map! :wall:

Will keep an eye on the forecasts and decide on Saturday.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Manonthefence

Post by Manonthefence »

Gates open 9am
Prices
Adults £25 Children Free

Flying Display starts 14:00

All subject to weather and serviceability

BBMF – Spitfire/Hurricane
OFMC – Spitfire or Mustang
Maurice Hammond – Auster5
Douglas C47 Dakota
Kennet Aviation– Seafire
Sea Hurricane
Gladiator
2 x Piper Cub
Maurice Hammond – Mustang
Me108 Group – Me108
Tiger Moth and 2 x Magister
2 x PT22
Hangar 11 – P40 Kittyhawk
Sopwith Pup
Sopwith Triplane
SE5a
Bristol F2b
Avro 19
Hind
Lysander

Subject to weather either
Super Cub/Glider
Boxkite
Avro Triplane
Bleriot
Deperdussin

Or

Super Cub – Banner Tow

Display ends 18:00 approx

lanemiker

Post by lanemiker »

Nick,

Thanks for the update on the line-up for Sunday. Hopefully the weather forecast will improve. But like Stuart said, the BBC forecasted rain all day at Duxford. We can only hope they're wrong for this Sunday as well.

Hope to see you up there.

Lance
Canon 7D (2) gripped, Canon 40D gripped, 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS, BushHawk

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

Typical a week of nice weather then on sunday heavy rain or heavy showers or thunderstorms. Not looking too good. :mad: :sick:
Previously known as WATFC and any Similarity to any persons alive or dead is purely coincidental

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

I was looking forward to a paired Mustang display. However the line up is still excellent and the prospect of seeing the Dakota operate from Old Warden is very exciting. The latest Met Office forecast for East Anglia is predicting some sunshine at times but generally unsettled with rain or showers.

I am going to the show and you never know but Old Warden may get the sunshine and the generally unsettled bit could mostly or totally miss the airfield. Worth taking the chance for a super line up.

The forecast could improve anyway. The weather chart has changed very little for the last three days for Sunday except that they have put more rain on it and may turn out to be overdone.

Thanks

Martin

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

With the forecast I've now made the decision not to make the journey and save my fuel. More worryingly, the long range forecast is even worse for next Friday which is Coningsby enthusiast day!

Andy

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

Looking now at the latest forecast, any rain may be out of the way by the time flying starts anyway.

Thanks

Martin

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

UK.Weather now forecasting 20% chance of rain all day, a mix of cloudy and mostly cloudy conditions. Metcheck seem to be saying showers from 10 to 4, and the BBC...well thier TV forecasts, forecast maps and pictorial forecasts all say a vaiety of different things as per usual :lol:

Boghopper Mk 11a

Post by Boghopper Mk 11a »

If OFMC send an aircraft to perform on Sunday it will be the Spit ( subject to Saturday test ), as the 51 isn't going anywhere at the moment

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The met-office themselves are now showing no rain!

Andy

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

As I said earlier in this thread, wait and see! The forecast has improved a lot since yesterday, will make my decision tonight.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

BBC forecast still not very good. Gonna give it a miss I think - try again on July 4th!
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

st24

Post by st24 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:BBC forecast still not very good. Gonna give it a miss I think - try again on July 4th!

Me too! Having said, even with a good forecast that's not the most inspiring OW line up anyway IMO - doubt if I would part with 25 notes for that... :sad:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Boghopper Mk 11a wrote:If OFMC send an aircraft to perform on Sunday it will be the Spit ( subject to Saturday test ), as the 51 isn't going anywhere at the moment

Alister Kay took 'Frankie' up for an air test just after mid day today, Saturday. Went up again at about 14.00 for some aerobatics. Last seen Frankie was taking on more fuel.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Manonthefence

Post by Manonthefence »

st24 wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:BBC forecast still not very good. Gonna give it a miss I think - try again on July 4th!

Me too! Having said, even with a good forecast that's not the most inspiring OW line up anyway IMO - doubt if I would part with 25 notes for that... :sad:

Yeah because you can see a C47 land on the grass at Old Warden at every show.
8 visiting acts including 2 P51s and several one of a kind flying displays. Just what have they got to do to inspire you?
Last edited by Manonthefence on Sat 05 Jun 2010, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boghopper Mk 11a

Post by Boghopper Mk 11a »

Brian

I stand correct sir :surrender: :grin:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Boghopper Mk 11a wrote:Brian

I stand correct sir :surrender: :grin:

Slightly off thread but the 'Frankie' display this afternoon was somewhat over shadowed by John Romain and Cliff Spink doing close quarter flying in the Buchon and Mk XV1. Stunning is a word I would use.

Cards downloading at the moment. :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Arno 01

Post by Arno 01 »

Met Office, states medium level cloud with sunny intervals all day, but gusty winds from 22kts-27 kts between 1000-1600 NWN

RFFS1

Post by RFFS1 »

Sorry guys Old Warden is not licenced for a C47 to operate from its field, its a CAA Cat 2 licenced airfield and a C47 is Cat3! Just have to settle for a display instead :sad:

Rob Leigh

Post by Rob Leigh »

To clarify, the Dakota's going to land and will be available for inspection on the flightline prior to the show. It will then take off and display. I think you'll agree that having something this big landing and taking off from Old Warden is much more enjoyable than the usual fly-through.

RFFS1

Post by RFFS1 »

Perhaps i'm wrong but I thought the biggest aircraft OW could take as allowed by the CAA was 15m in length and a DC3 is 29m? It would be great to see such a sight on the ground at OW, i'm definately going to make the hop over for this one!

Manonthefence

Post by Manonthefence »

The weather's looking good this morning, line up is excellent.

Be there or be square :lol:

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

Manonthefence wrote:The weather's looking good this morning, line up is excellent.

Be there or be square :lol:

Nothing but Grey cloud here (23 miles away)

Today I shall be Square :sad:
Previously known as WATFC and any Similarity to any persons alive or dead is purely coincidental