Comet G-ACSS

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
lrv890

Comet G-ACSS

Post by lrv890 »

Hi anyone heard anymore more about when the Comet at Shuttleworth is likely to be flying this year
I went at Xmas and had a look at the restoration , It would be great to see it flying again

lrv890

Re: Comet G-ACSS

Post by lrv890 »

I found this if anyone is interested

http://forum.keypublishing.com/archive/ ... 14082.html

cw318is

Post by cw318is »

DanO1978 wrote: too valuable to risk in the air?

Been thinking about this, I would have thought that Old Wardens' very rare and completely original Edwardians are more valuable and certainly a lot more unique. There are a few DH88 replicas around the world at the moment so fingers crossed one of them will be in the skies soon. Basing SS at Duxford if its true will be interesting.
DamienB wrote:Airshows aren't just about sunlit topsides chaps.

Mike

Post by Mike »

DanO1978 wrote:I understood it was only to be restored to taxying condition - too valuable to risk in the air?

Yes, all that Kevlar would be expensive to replace! :handbag:

lrv890

Post by lrv890 »

I have posted a photo of her being worked on at Xmas in HDR along with a few others from the collection. I listed it in this section but it got moved the military ?
It does sound like they are trying to get it back in the air this year
It would certainly look good against a nice blue sky with the evening sun on her
Here hoping

DonBonzo

Post by DonBonzo »

Overheard one of the restoration engineers yesterday saying that they are working on strengthening the undercarriage - presumably they'd only be doing that if the intention was to fly her again.......here's hoping.
Never trust a skinny chef.
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery.

lrv890

Post by lrv890 »

By the looks of her yesterday I don't think its going to be this year though , I do hope they get her back in the air soon !!!!
Then we just need a nice evening display like last night for some cracking photo opportunities

lrv890

Post by lrv890 »

Hi All
just a quick update for anyone interested , they have just started advertising the Oct 7th show as a Cold War Jet Tribute Show and intend to have the Comet flying as part of the programme . Let just pray for good weather !!!!

funhouse

Post by funhouse »

Sorry to disappoint you, but it's unlikely to fly this season, just wondering who was responsible for the add listing the Comet as due to display.

lrv890

Post by lrv890 »

here is the link

http://www.shuttleworth.org/tickets/eve ... asp?ID=163

it will be a shame if it doesn't but theres still next season

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Advertised as returning to the skies at the October show.
http://shuttleworth.org/tickets/event-d ... asp?ID=163

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Must be 25 years since I can last remember seeing it fly, beautiful aircraft :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Stan

Post by Stan »

But as I recall, chronically prone to ground looping. I'm suprised they're giving it another go to be honest.

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

When will it test fly?
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

DonBonzo

Post by DonBonzo »

duxfordhawk wrote:When will it test fly?

Before tomorrow's show?? :heyhey:

KAM68

Post by KAM68 »

The latest update on G-ACSS is now on the Shuttleworth Collections facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/notes/the-shuttleworth-collection/naked-tomtit-and-the-comets-new-legs/10151267164184476.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

I was always confused as to whether it is genuine or a replica, as I believe there is both - both bearing the same name? Could anyome clarify this please?

I remember one flying over the village cricket pitch once when I was very young - 20years ago, but I do not know which it was!

viper28

Post by viper28 »

As far as I know she is the original G-ACSS built in 1934 (at least thats what the Shuttleworth record says).
Cheers Simon

You can't beat a good Canon shot

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Teaboy wrote:I remember one flying over the village cricket pitch once when I was very young - 20years ago, but I do not know which it was!

That would this one this one.

Taken in 1988, G-ACSS was restored to flying condition at Hatfield and flew in 1987/1988

TheDuck

Post by TheDuck »

Just wondering if anyone knew the latest on the restoration of the aircraft whether it be for static or flying condition.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Ryan. wrote:Just wondering if anyone knew the latest on the restoration of the aircraft whether it be for static or flying condition.

Bump

Andy

PhilW

Post by PhilW »

viper28 wrote:As far as I know she is the original G-ACSS built in 1934 (at least thats what the Shuttleworth record says).

Although this is often slated as the worst of the Trigger's broom of restorations, as the requirements of making her airworthy meant that little of the original is left :sad:

DonBonzo

Post by DonBonzo »

I (and many like me, I suspect) whilst feeling a little sad that she's now more of a replica than a restoration, couldn't really care less as long as she makes it back into the air again!

Despite having visited Old Warden on many occasions since the 1970's, I've never managed to see her in the sky - so I'm more than a little interested in how the plans are progressing.

Each time I visit I try to get an update, but sadly I haven't been able to make any of the flying days this year (yet), so I have to rely on good folks such as the rest of UKAR to keep me updated.

At the time of my last visit, (end of last season) the team had been working on strengthening the undercarriage, and last I head that work was completed, but the runway state was such that a flight wasn't possible.

I've heard little further this year, but surely now the runway should be in good order, so perhaps we'll seeher later this year?

I keep my eyes on the listings for the show days, but I'd probably make a special weekday trip if I KNEW when the first flight was likely to be.

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

DonBonzo wrote:I (and many like me, I suspect) whilst feeling a little sad that she's now more of a replica than a restoration, couldn't really care less as long as she makes it back into the air again!

I agree, it's asking a lot for a plane that old, to be all-original or even mostly-original.
I'd LOVE to see her in the air too.

It was fantastic to see the RE.8 and Albatros last year... and those weren't original in any way!
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

DerekF wrote:
Teaboy wrote:I remember one flying over the village cricket pitch once when I was very young - 20years ago, but I do not know which it was!

That would this one this one.

Taken in 1988, G-ACSS was restored to flying condition at Hatfield and flew in 1987/1988

Thanks! It would have been later than that, but I'm not sure the year, early 90's!