Flying Evening 4th May

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Flying Evening 4th May

Post by Hatstand »

I see they posted a line-up for 4th May Flying Evening. It's only a week after their first show of the Season (28th April) but I might have to pop along to this one as well, weather permitting. I've been wanting to see that Gladiator fly for a while...

"The flying evening begins with a historic vehicle parade along the flight line.
Flying starts at 6.15pm
The flying ends at approximately 8.15pm

Supermarine Spitfire (Battle of Britain Memorial Flight)
Hawker Hurricane (Battle of Britain Memorial Flight)
Miles Gemini
Gloster Gladiator
Fieseler Storch
Westland Lysander
Eon Primary Glider
Avro 504k
Sopwith Triplane
Bristol F2b Fighter
Sopwith Pup
SE5a
Deperdussin
Bristol Boxkite
Bleriot
Avro Triplane
Blackburn Monoplane Type-D"
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

tommo999

Re: Flying Evening 4th May

Post by tommo999 »

Updated flying display (from facebook):

18:00 PRE-DISPLAY

Spitfire & Hurricane - RAF BBMF (Flypast)
Banner Pickup and Tow

18:15 FLYING DISPLAY

Hawker Hind
Hawker Demon

ScudII Vintage Glider

Avro Tutor
de Havilland Tiger Moth

Gloster Gladiator
Fieseler Storch
Westland Lysander

EoN Primary Glider

Sopwith Triplane
Bristol F2b
Sopwith Pup
RAF SE5a

Deperdussin
Bristol Boxkite
Bleriot
Avro Triplane
Blackburn Monoplane

(Flying ends at 20:00 approx)

Looking good :smile:

pb643

Post by pb643 »

I have never visited Old Warden before and I wondered if somebody could give me some idea what sort of conditions the Edwardian aircraft are able to cope with? I presume wind and still air is a significant limitation, hence the evening display.

Phil

MUSTANG

Post by MUSTANG »

Hi Phil,

Basically the windsock should not be moving...so as you stated almost still air.

Peter

pb643

Post by pb643 »

MUSTANG wrote:Hi Phil,

Basically the windsock should not be moving...so as you stated almost still air.

Peter

Thanks Peter, at the moment the BBC is saying westerly at 10mph, I am guessing that this probably too high.

When a Bleriot flew at legends a few years ago, I don't recall it being dead still, so will keep my fingers crossed.

Phil

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

Although they may well put another couple of the collection's aircraft up if the Edwardians can't fly!

FTS

Post by FTS »

I'm 15 minutes away north up the A1 and it's very windy here. Last weekend it was calm here and windy at Old Warden so i'm guessing that it must be a fair bit breezy there. They didn't get the WW1 aircraft up last weekend due to the wind so I doubt very much that if it stays like this by this evening that they'll fly. It's also clouding over at regular intervals. If the wind dies down by this afternoon i'll journey over, otherwise I don't see it being any different to last weekend, just the time of day.
facebook.com/shgpmedia
instagram.com/shgphotography86/
Youtube - SHGP Media

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

pb643 wrote:
MUSTANG wrote:Hi Phil,

Peter

Thanks Peter, at the moment the BBC is saying westerly at 10mph, I am guessing that this probably too high.

When a Bleriot flew at legends a few years ago, I don't recall it being dead still, so will keep my fingers crossed.

Phil

The bleriot at Legends was a 50hp Thulin A which has decent lateral control authority and was built a few years after the shuttleworth Bleriot. The latter is only flown in straight lines and only has a 25hp engine (and is the oldest flying aeroplane in the world IIRC) so they can't really be compared :)

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

FTS wrote:I'm 15 minutes away north up the A1 and it's very windy here. Last weekend it was calm here and windy at Old Warden so i'm guessing that it must be a fair bit breezy there. They didn't get the WW1 aircraft up last weekend due to the wind so I doubt very much that if it stays like this by this evening that they'll fly. It's also clouding over at regular intervals. If the wind dies down by this afternoon i'll journey over, otherwise I don't see it being any different to last weekend, just the time of day.

Any improvement? Wind not too bad here in Essex, and some sunny spells now too.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

By 6pm, when the flying starts, the wind should have calmed a bit to around 10-13mph, according to the BBC. Better than last week's 20mph!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

decision time for me is 2 p.m. - only an hour away in Northants
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

iainpeden wrote:decision time for me is 2 p.m. - only an hour away in Northants

Same, unfortunately Essex is further away, especially when the M25 is shut... :mad:

FTS

Post by FTS »

Currently the wind has died down a little bit but is still windy, the only thing now is that it has been raining now on and off for an hour including a very heavy burst and it is now very overcast. Since Old Warden do a number of evening shows throughout the year i'll be giving this one a miss. It's a shame I've been looking forward to it and the weather was great this week! :mad:
facebook.com/shgpmedia
instagram.com/shgphotography86/
Youtube - SHGP Media

MUSTANG

Post by MUSTANG »

Remember they were only doing 3 evening shows this year... 4th May, 1st June & 6th July.

Peter

Orion

Post by Orion »

Just got back from this very nice air display. The weather was absolutely as forecast rain in the afternoon and then dry; but the cloud was a little thicker after 7 than expected so it got a little dark. I enjoyed it, the BBMF were a disappointment, three passes in a Spitfire is not a good display but the home team did well especially the Hawkers and the Gladiator.

Regards

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

Orion wrote:the BBMF were a disappointment, three passes in a Spitfire is not a good display

It was only ever going to be a flypast! Plus it was 5 passes if I'm not mistaken, not 3. Also it was TE311, their new Spit, which was nice to see for the first time! All in all a very nice evening

pb643

Post by pb643 »

A very very enjoyable day at my first shuttleworth show. A shame it was darker in the evening with the cloud cover and a shame the wind didn't stay at the level it was at about 5pm. At least I have the excuse to go back now on another occasion.

A question for the regular visitors, how did today's crowd numbers compare with the average for one of their airshows?

Phil

Orion

Post by Orion »

tommo999 wrote:
Orion wrote:the BBMF were a disappointment, three passes in a Spitfire is not a good display

It was only ever going to be a flypast! Plus it was 5 passes if I'm not mistaken, not 3. Also it was TE311, their new Spit, which was nice to see for the first time! All in all a very nice evening

After looking at my video, there were four! As you say a nice evening!

Regards

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

Orion wrote:After looking at my video, there were four! As you say a nice evening!

Regards

Ah that puts me right! :biggrin:
Nice also to see the Lysander fly twice - shame though about the cloud closing in!

Orion

Post by Orion »

tommo999 wrote:
Orion wrote:After looking at my video, there were four! As you say a nice evening!

Regards

Ah that puts me right! :biggrin:
Nice also to see the Lysander fly twice - shame though about the cloud closing in!

Not to bother, I got it wrong at first too.

Regards