tommo999

New Website

Post by tommo999 »

http://www.shuttleworth.org/

Looks very fresh, me likes :up:

DanO1978

Re: New Website

Post by DanO1978 »

Buggy and slow on my iPad. Page keeps having to reload itself because of errors...

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

Looks good, but it seems poorly coded, 29 errors and one warning in Chrome - hate to think what it'll look like in IE! :|

Orion

Post by Orion »

Very slow ...

DanO1978

Post by DanO1978 »

Still slow as anything and getting error messages. How on earth have they put this "live"? Did no-one think to test it first?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Site works fine for me in IE.

I note there's a price increase and now a flat rate for all shows next year - £22.50 in advance or £28 on the gate.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Site works fine for me in IE.

I note there's a price increase and now a flat rate for all shows next year - £22.50 in advance or £28 on the gate.

And a £145 season ticket for all 9 shows - you only need to go to 6.4 shows to make a saving; if you do all 9 you'll save roughly £50 (against advance ticket price) or £100 (against on the day price).

http://www.shuttleworth.org/2015-airshow-season-ticket/

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

I received this today from the SVAS photo section:

Dear All,

Firstly the bad news:

The Collection Management have decided that after over 20 years of successfully running Display Flight Line Tours they have decided (currently) to dispense with the Photographic Section involvement with this particular enterprise and run it totally under Collection control next season.

I am led to believe that they will be asking for Volunteers in January with a view to having the new batch fully trained and ready to go (?) by the first display in May! I am further led to believe that registration and booking of said tours will now be handled by the 'Information Centre' (or the Shop as we know it). Currently Photo Section members will still be entitled to their 2 'free' tours per season on production of your valid Photo Section membership card which will be marked in some way to ensure you only get the 2 'freebies'. The Collection are also going to raise the cost of these tours to £8 (although PS membership is not currently scheduled to rise).

Now the worse news:

The Collection want to implement the following:

1) Increasing the Display day entry fee to £28. The previous SVAS Member Discount of 50% for this is to be reduced to 25%. In other words it is intended that SVAS Members entry fee will be £21 (a rise of 68%!).

2) Entry fee for the public on non-display days to rise to £18 ( as yet I have not heard of any planned changes to the current SVAS Member free entry)

3) Shop discount to be reduced from 15% to 10% for SVAS Members.

4) SVAS Members to pay 50% Landing fees for flying in (previously this was free). If there are any Life Members out there who can let me have a copy of their original Ts & Cs I'd be grateful.

5) In addition to the above Collection Management want a large donation from the SVAS (over and above the agreed spares figure) because 2 shows were abandoned and 2 Saturday evening displays lost money! So they are basically asking for a handout to balance the books!

The SVAS Committee are opposed to these measures.

Post by 5944 »

I got that email too. Very bad news if they go through with everything as planned. Worrying that they're asking for the supporters association to bail them out financially too.

DanO1978

Post by DanO1978 »

Disappointing to hear that they made a loss on certain shows last year. Crowds were healthy when I visited, and certainly the two Comet shows were as full as OW has ever been.

Can see one or two less significant airframes being moved on to balance the books at this rate.

You do have to wonder quite why they splashed out on the Wildcat/Martlet if money was tight?

And £8 flightline walks, all of six feet across the fence? Think it'll be a tough sell shifting those - I really hope OW isn't going down the commercial, avaricious route of other venues.

Support this venue at all costs next season - Shuttleworth is a glorious two-fingered salute to the dreary, distant displays elsewhere. Use it or lose it.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

£28 to get in = me not visiting Shuttleworth
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

DanO1978

Post by DanO1978 »

rdchawk wrote:£28 to get in = me not visiting Shuttleworth

More fool you.

How often did you go in the first place?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

£22.50 in advance, up to 2pm the day before the show.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

DanO1978 wrote:

More fool you.

Same goes for you and Duxford, Dan! Yet you still beligerantly moan about the place.

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

DanO1978 wrote:Disappointing to hear that they made a loss on certain shows last year. Crowds were healthy when I visited, and certainly the two Comet shows were as full as OW has ever been.

You do have to wonder quite why they splashed out on the Wildcat/Martlet if money was tight?

I thought the Wildcat was 'bought' at a reduced price, in a non-worthy state, with a large donation at the request of the donor (or something along those lines) so they may not have necessarily splashed out cash they didn't have so to speak. Shame to see they made a loss at two shows, but like has been said perhaps the increased ticket prices is a contingency for shows being cancelled again next year. Better to be safe than sorry!

Oh no. If ever £28 was unquestionably good value for a show, it would be one at Old Warden...

...unless you hate vintage aeroplanes flying lower, closer, for longer in an aesthetically-pleasing manner, staying up until dusk, plus a chance to look round the hangars, gardens, bird of prey centre before flying starts...

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

tommo999 wrote: bird of prey centre...

Moved to a new location last year.

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
tommo999 wrote: bird of prey centre...

Moved to a new location last year.

Did it really!? Had no idea :tongue:

That begs the question, where did it go?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

tommo999 wrote:Did it really!? Had no idea :tongue:

That begs the question, where did it go?

http://www.birdsofpreycentre.co.uk/

"The English School of Falconry Bird of Prey & Conservation Centre has moved to Herrings Green Farm, Cotton End Road Wilstead, Beds MK45 3DT."

DanO1978

Post by DanO1978 »

Developments tonight. After the Photo Section email was discussed on Facebook against his wishes, Paul Self has stood down as Chair of the Photo Section.

And people say the off-season is dull...

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

DanO1978 wrote:

More fool you.

I went 4 times this year Dan, so unlike you being an armchair moaner against duxford where you criticise it so much even though you a freeloader, I am criticising even though I went in and PAID 4 times this year!

£28 puts it just under a ticket cost for RIAT and is probably now the 2nd most expensive show to get in to.
Unless shuttleworth can have a contrasting air display at all the shows I can't see the general public paying £28 a few times in the year to watch the same aircraft.

I sadly fear this is the start of the end of shuttleworth.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Bill16STN

Post by Bill16STN »

All very sad.

It must take a very special talent to let things come to this, given the magical location, wonderful exhibits & popular support?

The Collection really needed to nip this in the bud; however I fear it's too late now even with their lovely new website & impressive new branding - speaking of which, I wonder how much that all cost?

Weather Watcher

Post by Weather Watcher »

I went 3 times this year less than in the previous 2 years - I am currently a SVAS member although not a photo section member. If I understand the proposed new pricing structure there seems little point in remaining a member. I'll just go when the forecast is good, paying the advance ticket price a few days before. I have in previous years with the 50% discount decided on the morning to throw the camera bags in the car and chance it. As a result I have in past years spent many very cold and damp hours at Old Warden. I think the net result of this change is that I will be paying less to Old Warden in the future than I have previously. A change for the worse in my opinion. :sad:

David

DanO1978

Post by DanO1978 »

Am I being dim here - the Collection is asking SVAS for a larger donation with one hand, while reducing the discount to SVAS members with the other, thus devaluing the appeal of membership.

If the Collection relies on SVAS donations to that extent, surely they'd be doing all they could to make SVAS membership as big a draw as possible? :dunno: :dizzy:

TheDuck

Post by TheDuck »

If I remember rightly, there was talk of change a few years ago, people 'up in arms about it' and only the more sensable proposals and the inevitable price increase actually went forward.

Orion

Post by Orion »

It won't make any difference to me, it's still worth £28. I didn't go to all the shows, never do there's lots of other thing to do as well, but I'm very surprised that there was an issue with attendances and profits. The place was rammed.

The Shuttleworth has these issues from time-to-time. There's a big furore and then a quiet period. I've long since held the view that the collection is managed by idiots and they seem to have made a mess again. A pity, but they just don't have the managerial skills needed to run the place.

I'm not at all surprised that the SVAS are upset; nobody should be. Having said that, the few SVAS members I've met weren't nice people which gave me pause when it was suggested that I might join. Rather not!

So it's all very difficult. Old Warden is a wonderful place to go, but the collection is woefully managed; shame!

Regards