Classic Evening Airshow - 23rd May

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
rob68

Re: Classic Evening Airshow - 23rd May

Post by rob68 »

I understand that I missed a few items at OW (arriving from Duxford at 18.30) but do agree that the evening seemed a little thin besides the comet and BBMF and at £16 for a SVAS membership entry is more than the Throckmorton airshow which includes XH558. And yes each time i see the comet fly i hold my breath when it lands.

Is it just a case seeing the same thing over and over again it just gets to be the same, after all lots of people have made comment to me that they got bored on the Sunday of the September Duxford show last year?

Post by 5944 »

The conditions for the Comet on Saturday were far better than the previous show - it was raining last time for a start! But yes, the two aborted landings were a bit of a concern, especially considering there was almost no wind by that point.

I can fully see where Thoughtful_Flyer is coming from. The formation with the Comet, Spitfire and Hurricane didn't really do it for me, and a lot of the rest of the aircraft I've seen many times (one of the advantages of living 6 miles away!), but the fact the Edwardians managed to fly while it was still daylight made the show for me. I even managed a shot of the Wren above the trees as well!

The line up for LAA day doesn't appeal, so I'll give that one a miss, but the next couple of shows look impressive.

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

Hello the reason there were two go arounds from the comet was purely down to there being very little wind and it really needs a breeze to help slow it down on the approach, with those long wings and slippery shape it glides better than you think. As to getting samey it can feel like that to people at times and I just like to point out that most of what you see you cannot see elsewhere and certainly not as close and in the same sort of surroundings. Just take a breath and realise there really isn't anything like it and don't get stuck looking down the lens of your camera there is far more to see.

Steve
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I certainly found it had the nicest atmosphere of anywhere. 100% about showing the audience the planes you love.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

AMB

Post by AMB »

Well done to those that got to OW after the Duxford show. Good planning by Shuttleworth to schedule an evening show on the same day as Duxford. Not the first time they have done this and moreover, I managed THREE shows in the same day on 6th July 1985! :hypno: When Hatfield was open, got to their Families Open Day at 0845, shot all the static leaving at 0915 and on to Duxford arriving about 10ish. Left Duxford around 1700 and arrived at Old Warden just before their evening flying display started. Is that a record for the number of shows in a day?
Adrian