Optica (LAA)
Turbulent (LAA)
Dakota (BBMF) – Flypast

Collection Aircraft
Aerial Carriages: Southern Martlet, Parnall Elf, DH60 Cirrus Moth
Barnstorming: Tiger Moth, Chipmunk, Miles Magister, Cub
Dogfight: Fiesler Storch, Hawker Sea Hurricane
Gliders: Eon Primary, Fauvel AV-36
LAA: Mew Gull (with visiting Mystery Ship)
Lympne Trials: A.N.E.C. II, Hawker Cygnet, English Electric Wren
WWI: Avro 504K, Sopwith Pup, Bristol F2b, and SE5a
Edwardians*: Avro Triplane, Bristol Boxkite, Blackburn Monoplane, Deperdussin, and Bleriot

http://www.shuttleworth.org/events/laaparty/

Beeza

Re: Airshow featuring the LAA - 7th June

Post by Beeza »

Normally we go to Waddington - but we're giving it a miss this year :smile:
Never been to Shuttleworth - what's it like in general - is there plenty of space for camping chairs etc?

Usually I'm taking pictures of fast jets, so I crank the shutter speed up to a millionth of a second - what's the best approach here - I'm guessing I'll start at about 1/250 and vary around there for decent prop blur - anyone got any specific recommendations? Do the props on the oldies run too slow for 1/250? Any suggestions welcome!

MUSTANG

Post by MUSTANG »

Beeza wrote:Normally we go to Waddington - but we're giving it a miss this year :smile:
Never been to Shuttleworth - what's it like in general - is there plenty of space for camping chairs etc?

Usually I'm taking pictures of fast jets, so I crank the shutter speed up to a millionth of a second - what's the best approach here - I'm guessing I'll start at about 1/250 and vary around there for decent prop blur - anyone got any specific recommendations? Do the props on the oldies run too slow for 1/250? Any suggestions welcome!

No problem in lack of space just setup and relax...just do not bring any rain with you :wink: :smile:

I would say either 1/250th or 1/320th is fine, you could even go lower for take-off shots if you have the area to pan.

Peter

Beeza

Post by Beeza »

Thanks Mustang - I'll start at 1/320 and see what happens. If I get anything decent I'll post something here, and if Ii don't I won't :smile:

Can someone tell me about car parking at Shuttleworth? We're going to make a day of it, so we'll visit the garden before the airshow - can we get easy access to the car at all times, or is the carpark before the entrance? I don't fancy carrying camp chairs and picnic stuf around all day!

Hasboman

Post by Hasboman »

Beeza wrote:Thanks Mustang - I'll start at 1/320 and see what happens. If I get anything decent I'll post something here, and if Ii don't I won't :smile:

Can someone tell me about car parking at Shuttleworth? We're going to make a day of it, so we'll visit the garden before the airshow - can we get easy access to the car at all times, or is the carpark before the entrance? I don't fancy carrying camp chairs and picnic stuf around all day!

You park in front of the hangers. Most people stay by their car and watch the show.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Beeza wrote:Thanks Mustang - I'll start at 1/320 and see what happens. If I get anything decent I'll post something here, and if Ii don't I won't :smile:

Car parking is only 2-3 minutes walk from the Flight line and if you get thier ealy you can get up close to the Flight line with your car, once you go to the Worth you will end up going back many times!!
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Beeza wrote:Normally we go to Waddington - but we're giving it a miss this year :smile:

I use a 300mm with a 1.4TC for other shows but at Old Warden I use a 70-200 with a 1.7TC on a Nikon D7100 as things are a little closer than most shows and it's nice to zoom back when the aircraft fly the 'curve'- 1/320th wih that combo is pretty good for most flying shots, sometimes I go up to 1/400th for the faster stuff and come down to 1/250th for the slower items. For TO and landing shots I usually use 1/160th.

Like others have said there is plenty of room for pitching up a chair and a picnic table if you wish and the fence is only a few metres from where the cars are parked. Gates open at 09:00, I usually get there around 08:30 as I like to get in and get any early pictures. Flying usually starts around 14:00 though in the morning there is usually plenty of arriving aircraft and sometimes a practice display or two.

I only started going to Old Warden a few years ago, but it's addictive, such a great location for photography and a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

.....remember to hang around at the end of the show, if the weather is calm enough, they'll usually put the 'edwardians' up, always a sight worth seeing :smile:

Beeza

Post by Beeza »

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I can't wait for the show - I've ordered decent weather for you all as a reward!

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Hope you enjoy it! :smile:

You're in for a treat I'm sure - any visit to Shuttleworth is always a pleasure! I think it might have been on another forum a while back I saw someone describe the feeling of arriving at the Collection a bit like 'coming home' and I understand what they mean.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Wall to wall sunshine with a slight breeze at the moment. Tempted to take my thermals off :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Pen Pusher wrote:Wall to wall sunshine with a slight breeze at the moment. Tempted to take my thermals off :biggrin:

Brian

Anything out and likely to fly besides the stuff on the advertised list? Comet? Lysander?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The Comet is outside and I've seen a pilot place a parachute rig in it but asking around no one seems to know if it will be flying. Lysander is in the workshop with bits missing. Flying does start at 2.30.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Thanks. Currently sat at North Weald but there's nothing happening here at all - gotta decide if OW is worth it or just knock it on the head. List looks pretty thin to me as it is for a price of £28 at the gate...
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

More WW1 aircraft are being extracted from the hangar but If this breeze persists I can't see the Edwardians flying later on.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Ben Dunnell just announced the running order and the Edwardians are scrubbed with the Comet taking their place at the end of the show.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

Excellent display today. The Gladiator solo was fantastic!

Beeza

Post by Beeza »

My first Shuttleworth, but won't be my last! Too many highlights to list (the muscle plane display, the gladiator, the comet, all the ww1 stuff...), no queues, no crowds, plenty of room etc.

I even got some decent snaps, thanks to the advice received here.

Should we keep it secret?