Military Pageant Sunday 5th July

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
King Cobra

Re: Military Pageant Sunday 5th July

Post by King Cobra »

jalfrezi wrote:While it would be nice to see the Vulcan at Shuttleworth, I don't think there's enough variation to warrant the advanced ticket purchase for me, plus the Vulcan horde showing up en masse will probably change the usual relaxed Shuttleworth ambiance....

Seems you may not recall the Shuttleworth displays from the 70s and 80s when reserve car parks were opened in the fields opposite the airfield and front line heavy metal made regular appearances along with the Reds. Crowds were much bigger back then.

J.Smith photography

Post by J.Smith photography »

What time would people recommend arriving on Sunday in order to get a spot on the front row?
I know it says gates open at 9 on the Shuttleworth website, but what are the chances of them opening any earlier?
I know you don't need to be at the front at Shuttleworth, but I'd like to also get some take off/ landing shots, hence being at the front would be useful

Cheers,
James

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

As early as you can. No. Good luck.

:dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

It will probably be a bit of a bun fight to get to the front row so you might be better to leave landing shots for a different show when the crowds are less, most of the participants will appear at future shows as they are Trust aircraft and I very much doubt the Vulcan will land anyway.

Personally I will find a point some way back around the middle of the display line to catch the aircraft topsiding round the crowd line.

(and make sure you remember to print your ticket or you will be nowhere near the front - and that includes a reminder to myself to print mine! :oops: )
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

andygolfer wrote:Personally I will find a point some way back around the middle of the display line to catch the aircraft topsiding round the crowd line.

(and make sure you remember to print your ticket or you will be nowhere near the front - and that includes a reminder to myself to print mine! :oops: )

That's what I tend to do nowadays. If the Vulcan lands that will be quite something to see!!!

Printed my ticket yesterday plus a spare one just in case!
Last edited by AlexC on Fri 03 Jul 2015, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

andygolfer wrote:It will probably be a bit of a bun fight to get to the front row so you might be better to leave landing shots for a different show when the crowds are less, most of the participants will appear at future shows as they are Trust aircraft and I very much doubt the Vulcan will land anyway.

Personally I will find a point some way back around the middle of the display line to catch the aircraft topsiding round the crowd line.

If the Vulcan lands, I'm not going anywhere near the place :hide:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

capercaillie wrote:
andygolfer wrote:It will probably be a bit of a bun fight to get to the front row so you might be better to leave landing shots for a different show when the crowds are less, most of the participants will appear at future shows as they are Trust aircraft and I very much doubt the Vulcan will land anyway.

If the Vulcan lands, I'm not going anywhere near the place :hide:

I bet if there was even the remotest chance of that happening every aviation photographer in the UK would want to be there :lol:

sorry dragged it off topic with that comment but the vision of it was just too much to resist.
In all seriousness though, as it's sold out it will be like very poorly treated battery hens anywhere near the front and therefore rather unenjoyable hence my comment about leaving landing pics for a later show (back on topic now).
andygolfer

Post by 5944 »

Pretty much my train of thought as well. Plus they've said fly in is full, so chances are there will be dozens of private aircraft parked next to the crowdline anyway. Forecast is pretty good, though looks like the wind will be too strong for the Edwardians to go up. Not a bad thing for me personally - I need to be out the gate by 17.45 anyway to get to work!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

There is always the option of sticking a set of ladders near your car... that way you aren't blocking the front and shooting over everyones heads for landing shots.etc.

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

boff180 wrote:There is always the option of sticking a set of ladders near your car... that way you aren't blocking the front and shooting over everyones heads for landing shots.etc.

They tell you off if you leave your car's tailgate up when the flying starts, so I'm not convinced ladders will be an option...!

Half the Shuttleworth regulars view from their cars, or sitting in chairs next to their cars...
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Besides, the car park slopes down toward the runway anyway and, as said by other posters, there are always aircraft parked in front of the crowd line so the view of the runway is intermittent at best. All of the flying can be seen quite well from further back and indeed at "normal" Old Warden shows although it is my practice to find a space at the fence (if one is available) I will often leave my seat and move back some way during the actual displays as a "better" overall view is found (you can't pan round far enough to track an aircraft "coming round the bend" if you are packed like sardines at the fence line). I suspect that if I were to try that at Sunday's show, I would stand little or no chance of being able to return to my seat after taking my photos/video as I also suspect that many of those attending will be unaware of (or simply not care about) the normal etiquette at Old Warden. I also strongly suspect that the Shuttleworth staff will be kept quite busy asking (telling!) punters to remove/disassemble windbreaks/tents etc,.....

I also tend to agree with an earlier poster that there is a strong possibility that much of the extra crowd (above that which would normally be expected at an Old Warden show) will indeed pack up and leave after the Vulcan display. I am therefore hoping that the Vulcan is displaying quite early.....

Oh, and of course, the "Vulcan effect" does not exist.......
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Weather Watcher

Post by Weather Watcher »

J.Smith photography wrote:What time would people recommend arriving on Sunday in order to get a spot on the front row?
I know it says gates open at 9 on the Shuttleworth website, but what are the chances of them opening any earlier?
I know you don't need to be at the front at Shuttleworth, but I'd like to also get some take off/ landing shots, hence being at the front would be useful

Cheers,
James

I have never known Shuttleworth shows to open gates early (I have been waiting for gates to open a couple of times). At the very least they need to get their volunteers in before they can open for business. Although most of the crowd is towards the control tower end of the flightline I've taken some good shots from up by the gate. I would guess that wherever you are along the fence, a plane will be parked in front of you.
Last edited by Weather Watcher on Fri 03 Jul 2015, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

st24

Post by st24 »

So it's a sore issue and not one I'd like to even dream of contemplating but has anyone shot Old Warden from outside?? :surrender: :sad:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

tailslides

Post by tailslides »

Missed the deadline so I have no choice but to go outside, yes it is reasonable and just a little trek.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

st24 wrote:So it's a sore issue and not one I'd like to even dream of contemplating but has anyone shot Old Warden from outside?? :surrender: :sad:

so why ask then?

but to answer anyway almost certainly as I've seen people standing outside but don't know if any were taking photos but by the laws of probability some probably were, however they (the ones I've seen that is) would be looking almost directly into sun anyway
andygolfer

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

st24 wrote:So it's a sore issue and not one I'd like to even dream of contemplating but has anyone shot Old Warden from outside?? :surrender: :sad:

Yes.

Flyforfun

Post by Flyforfun »

Outside is good , haven't been for about 4 years though .

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

J.Smith photography wrote:What time would people recommend arriving on Sunday in order to get a spot on the front row?

Cheers,
James

I help man a fund raising stall at most OW shows and they let us in before the gates open to the public so we can set up before the punters come in. I've never known them open the gates early to the public.

TigerMeet4Ever

Post by TigerMeet4Ever »

The event is sold out now :sad: We did want to come over from Belgium but as we were not sure - with strikes going on in Calais - we did not pre-booked tickets. Now it seems the Shuttle could bring us over on Sunday now we can't get any tickets any more... Anyone that could help two little Belgians with two tickets please ?

Kindest regards
Hugo

Please email

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

Flyforfun wrote:

It's up to you but in an effort to try to stop vehicles blocking up the roads the police and the ANPR camera car will be patrolling the road, so stop there and receive a fine.... Oh and there will also be private security making sure no-one obstructs the public footpath (it is an actionable matter to block access on a public footpath) and also prevent damage to the local fields. I know there are no tickets left but if it was me I'd go to one of the local pubs in Northill, Stanford or Southill and sit in the garden on the off chance a big metal thing wanders over, cheaper than a fine for parking on double yellow lines.

Steve
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

Flyforfun

Post by Flyforfun »

Is it sold out if you fly in ?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Flyforfun wrote:Is it sold out if you fly in ?

I'm pretty sure you need to pre-book a fly-in slot, and IIRC they announced that they were full up earlier this week.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

All the fly-in slots were full a week ago.
vA
stevelevien.com

Flyforfun

Post by Flyforfun »

Ok thanks.

st24

Post by st24 »

svas_volunteer wrote:
Flyforfun wrote:

It's up to you but in an effort to try to stop vehicles blocking up the roads the police and the ANPR camera car will be patrolling the road, so stop there and receive a fine.... Oh and there will also be private security making sure no-one obstructs the public footpath (it is an actionable matter to block access on a public footpath) and also prevent damage to the local fields. I know there are no tickets left but if it was me I'd go to one of the local pubs in Northill, Stanford or Southill and sit in the garden on the off chance a big metal thing wanders over, cheaper than a fine for parking on double yellow lines.

Steve

Thanks for the advice. I have been to a couple of UK airshows in the past and have noted the paranoia sweeping through being anywhere within a hundred miles of one. Believe me, a tin triangle is the last thing I'd want to see gracing OW, from a beer garden or otherwise ...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!