Military Pageant Sunday 5th July

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
capercaillie

Re: Military Pageant Sunday 5th July

Post by capercaillie »

If its having a good overhaul, it would be nice for a repaint as well back into a nice camo scheme. :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

This message has been posted on The Collection's website and social media

"This event is very popular – online advance booking is strongly advised.

SVAS members (with current valid memebrship card) will be able to purchase on the gate – non-SVAS accompanying guests are advised to book online in advance."

http://www.shuttleworth.org/events/militaryww1/

So please if you are an SVAS member and want to bring a non member friend or spouse book a ticket for them as there might not be any spare tickets for non-members. It's good to see the Collection making sure the SVAS aren't penalised for having to buy on the day. Hope to see you all there.

Steve
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

svas_volunteer wrote:This message has been posted on The Collection's website and social media

"This event is very popular – online advance booking is strongly advised.

SVAS members (with current valid memebrship card) will be able to purchase on the gate – non-SVAS accompanying guests are advised to book online in advance."

http://www.shuttleworth.org/events/militaryww1/

So please if you are an SVAS member and want to bring a non member friend or spouse book a ticket for them as there might not be any spare tickets for non-members. It's good to see the Collection making sure the SVAS aren't penalised for having to buy on the day. Hope to see you all there.

Steve

I wonder how this is going to work in practice?

Are they in effect saying the show may become ticket only but with a ticket reserved for SVAS members if they choose to turn up and pay for it? Will we have to be there by a specific time to take up our ticket option?

Somehow I can imagine a fair degree of chaos on the entry road through the park.

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

So one SVAS member can drive in and park the car leaving wife and children to stand outside and watch for free. Surely the only limit is on the available car parking space, one person or four per car makes not difference apart that Shuttleworth looses out.

As for freeloaders watching from outside if Shuttleworth are refusing admission then were do they expect people to go ?

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

On a more serious note.

Is there any news that the Snipe and Albatros have arrived from New Zealand.

And what has happen with the Sopwith Camel. I do not recall seeing it in the workshop or main hangars at the last event, whilst I understand that Shuttleworth will only fly the Camel when all is safe and well but have there been any unforeseen problems ?

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

I've seen a video from about 3 weeks back including shots from the workshop which showed the Camel with its engine removed. Would guess lots of inspecting and double checking before flight is attempted, particularly as this has been built from scratch.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Weather forecast seems all over the place....

BBC/Met saying rain... every other forecaster is saying sunny with some cloud!

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

Thundery trough to go through Fri night into Sat and maybe a shower during Sat but I reckon Sun will be OK. Wind WSW 23degC.
vA
stevelevien.com

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Guys we have just been informed by Shuttleworth....

Advanced Ticket Sales for this Sunday will End at 4pm Today

There will be NO tickets available for the public on the gate, only for current SVAS Members.

Thanks

Andy

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Thanks for that. I was going to wait until Saturday to get a ticket in order get the best idea of the weather on Sunday, but have had to abandon that idea! Wonder if they've ever done anything like this before?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

AlexC wrote:Thanks for that. I was going to wait until Saturday to get a ticket in order get the best idea of the weather on Sunday, but have had to abandon that idea! Wonder if they've ever done anything like this before?

So was I but I think I might bite the bullet and do it now. Any idea what the max capacity is anyway? I like Old Warden for the non-typical-airshow-relaxed atmosphere, I hope it would be like that on Sunday???
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

st24

Post by st24 »

Typical, bloody Vulcan rabble turn up and ruin the last sacred decent airshow...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I took my first photo of XH558 at Biggin Hill in September 1965. Hoping to take another one of her nearly fifty years later at Old Warden on Sunday!

I can see it being chaos there on Sunday, with people being turned away. There will have to be somebody stationed before the entrance, checking whether people have tickets, or are members.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

st24

Post by st24 »

AlexC wrote:I took my first photo of XH558 at Biggin Hill in September 1965. Hoping to take another one of her nearly fifty years later at Old Warden on Sunday!

I can see it being chaos there on Sunday, with people being turned away. There will have to be somebody stationed before the entrance, checking whether people have tickets, or are members.

Indeed, don't know what the soft top and picnic hamper brigade will think when the Vulcan fans turn up in their beat up Ford Cortinas and Transits... :grin:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

While it would be nice to see the Vulcan at Shuttleworth, I don't think there's enough variation to warrant the advanced ticket purchase for me, plus the Vulcan horde showing up en masse will probably change the usual relaxed Shuttleworth ambiance....

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

AlexC wrote:I took my first photo of XH558 at Biggin Hill in September 1965. Hoping to take another one of her nearly fifty years later at Old Warden on Sunday!

And additional signage warning people on all the approach roads. Not everyone will read their website/social media between now and Sunday!

Will they be using the wider Old Warden Park as well for parking? The airfield has been fairly full before with cars parked right up to the usual pay gate entrance near the college.

Has to be said that it is great news for Old Warden to have a sell out considering all the trials and tribulations with weather affected shows in the past couple of years.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Was reticent to go because of the Vulcan hordes. Would anyone know what time it's displaying? If it's early enough I suspect a great deal will disappear.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Reluctant to describe myself as one of the 'Vulcan Horde'! I for one will not be disappearing early, I'll be hanging around watching the visiting aircraft depart as I always do.

I didn't go to Old Warden last year when the two Lancs were there, but I've seen photos taken on the day, and there were certainly hordes of folks there then. Wonder if that was a ticket only affair?

fiesty fox

Post by fiesty fox »

Have been a member of the s v a s for many years now but will be giving this one a miss, will probably go to Bagington instead.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

AlexC wrote:Reluctant to describe myself as one of the 'Vulcan Horde'! I for one will not be disappearing early, I'll be hanging around watching the visiting aircraft depart as I always do.

I didn't go to Old Warden last year when the two Lancs were there, but I've seen photos taken on the day, and there were certainly hordes of folks there then. Wonder if that was a ticket only affair?

It was part of the Flying Proms event, tickets were £40!! The site was nearly at capacity that evening, but many attended just for the proms, very few children were there.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

jalfrezi wrote:It was part of the Flying Proms event, tickets were £40!! The site was nearly at capacity that evening, but many attended just for the proms, very few children were there.

Thanks for that. :up:

Hasboman

Post by Hasboman »

Now sold out

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

st24 wrote:Typical, bloody Vulcan rabble turn up and ruin the last sacred decent airshow...

Yep....I'm gonna enjoy it :lol:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

fiesty fox wrote:Have been a member of the s v a s for many years now but will be giving this one a miss,

Ditto. Duxford was large enough to keep out of the way of the Vulcan Mafioso last weekend but Old Warden is to small for that and I should imagine that a lot of people are going to turn up not knowing tickets are sold out.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Pen Pusher wrote:
fiesty fox wrote:Have been a member of the s v a s for many years now but will be giving this one a miss,

Ditto. Duxford was large enough to keep out of the way of the Vulcan Mafioso last weekend but Old Warden is to small for that and I should imagine that a lot of people are going to turn up not knowing tickets are sold out.

Brian

enjoyed my time there as well............. :lol: