Military Pageant Sunday 5th July

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
svas_volunteer

Re: Military Pageant Sunday 5th July

Post by svas_volunteer »

Out of all the aircraft on the circuit if given the choice I wouldn't book the vulcan, too many times it's disappointed people with not appearing and it's not my cup of tea. The Blenheim could be interesting but personally I'd theme it as a complete WW1 show with as many types I could find but if the weather is a touch breezy, show off. Finding the compromise which gets people in is hard work and maybe this time it's been achieved but if a jet had to come I'd prefer the sea vixen.

Steve
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Given that it's a sell out, is there any prospect of the cafe being adequately staffed?

Andy

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

svas_volunteer wrote:Out of all the aircraft on the circuit if given the choice I wouldn't book the vulcan, too many times it's disappointed people with not appearing and it's not my cup of tea. The Blenheim could be interesting but personally I'd theme it as a complete WW1 show with as many types I could find but if the weather is a touch breezy, show off. Finding the compromise which gets people in is hard work and maybe this time it's been achieved but if a jet had to come I'd prefer the sea vixen.

Steve

You wouldn't book the Vulcan, but it was a good move for Shuttleworth's since they've sold all the ticket, whether she turns up or not. Like you say a complete WWI show could be a disaster - at the moment the forecast is showing gusting between 20 and 27 mph during the display :( If it's flown right the Blenheim should be great, was really looking foward to the Snipe and Albatros, though they seem to have been lost at sea? :( But hopefully they will be ready for the next show.

I see this was at Old Warden yesterday, pitty she won't here displaying on Sunday,

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

svas_volunteer wrote:
Flyforfun wrote:
st24 wrote:So it's a sore issue and not one I'd like to even dream of contemplating but has anyone shot Old Warden from outside?? :surrender: :sad:

Outside is good , haven't been for about 4 years though .

It's up to you but in an effort to try to stop vehicles blocking up the roads the police and the ANPR camera car will be patrolling the road, so stop there and receive a fine.... Oh and there will also be private security making sure no-one obstructs the public footpath (it is an actionable matter to block access on a public footpath) and also prevent damage to the local fields. I know there are no tickets left but if it was me I'd go to one of the local pubs in Northill, Stanford or Southill and sit in the garden on the off chance a big metal thing wanders over, cheaper than a fine for parking on double yellow lines.

Steve

And what will private security do if they find anyone on the footpath, 'Cuff them and frogmarch them to the glasshouse? In the past I've seen police move cars from farm tracks but never people from the footpaths nor from the road. As it's a sellout and if I were you, I wouldn't be that worried about those viewing from the outside.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

st24 wrote:
svas_volunteer wrote:
Flyforfun wrote:
st24 wrote:So it's a sore issue and not one I'd like to even dream of contemplating but has anyone shot Old Warden from outside?? :surrender: :sad:

Outside is good , haven't been for about 4 years though .

It's up to you but in an effort to try to stop vehicles blocking up the roads the police and the ANPR camera car will be patrolling the road, so stop there and receive a fine.... Oh and there will also be private security making sure no-one obstructs the public footpath (it is an actionable matter to block access on a public footpath) and also prevent damage to the local fields. I know there are no tickets left but if it was me I'd go to one of the local pubs in Northill, Stanford or Southill and sit in the garden on the off chance a big metal thing wanders over, cheaper than a fine for parking on double yellow lines.

Steve

Thanks for the advice. I have been to a couple of UK airshows in the past and have noted the paranoia sweeping through being anywhere within a hundred miles of one. Believe me, a tin triangle is the last thing I'd want to see gracing OW, from a beer garden or otherwise ...

I'm sure OW organisers will be gutted to learn this. :) '558 is not the first Vulcan to grace the skies over OW. They even had Concorde display back in the 80s. No doubt upset the stick in the mud purists but it sure wowed the crowd.
Looking forward to Sunday and taking lots of money on the raffle and the tombola but I take it I won't be selling any to you. :)

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Where's this forecast for gusting winds to be seen?

Reports are still all over the place - XC says sunny with broken cloud (edit - changed since I last looked, now sun and showers), accuweather says sunny, BBC and Met say overcast with a chance of showers, but most if not all say light to moderate winds...?

Typically, it's wall to wall sunshine today, and so too is Monday forecast to be. Just the day of the airshow that's looking iffy...
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Where's this forecast for gusting winds to be seen?

Reports are still all over the place - XC says sunny with broken cloud (edit - changed since I last looked, now sun and showers), accuweather says sunny, BBC and Met say overcast with a chance of showers, but most if not all say light to moderate winds...?

Typically, it's wall to wall sunshine today, and so too is Monday forecast to be. Just the day of the airshow that's looking iffy...

I get the impression they don't really know what's going to happen so fingers crossed accuweather have got it right.

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Where's this forecast for gusting winds to be seen?

The Met Office. XC are showing gusting up to 22 mph.

TigerMeet4Ever

Post by TigerMeet4Ever »

If any of you would decide not to go because of the weather forecast just let me know and I would be happy to take over your ticket. :wink:

But let me know asasp I would still need to book the Shuttle for crossing.

Hugo

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Weather forecasts are all over the place for tomorrow!!!! One thing they are consistent on is gusts picking up in the afternoon.

Andy

10am
Met Office: Cloudy, 19 degrees, 5mph wind gusting 9mph
XC Weather: Broken Cloud/Rain, 19degrees, 5mph wind gusting 6mph
Netweather: Raining, 20 degrees, 8mph wind gusting 11mph
Accuweather: Partly Cloudy, 19 degrees, 7kmh wind
BBC: Light Cloud, 19 degrees, 5mph wind

12pm
Met Office: Cloudy, 20 degrees, 6mph wind gusting 12mph
XC Weather: Broken Cloud/Rain, 18degrees, 7mph wind gusting 8mph
Netweather: Cloudy, 17 degrees, 9mph wind gusting 12mph
Accuweather: Partly Cloudy, 21 degrees, 11kmh wind
BBC: Light Cloud, 20 degrees, 6mph wind

2pm
Met Office: Cloudy, 20 degrees, 9mph wind gusting 16mph
XC Weather: Broken Cloud/Rain, 18 degrees, 7mph wind gusting 8mph
Netweather: Cloud, 17 degrees, 9mph wind gusting 12mph
Accuweather: Few Clouds, 20 degrees, 17kmh wind
BBC: Light Cloud, 20 degrees, 9mph wind

4pm
Met Office: Sunny Intervals, 21 degrees, 12mph wind gusting 23mph
XC Weather: Scattered Cloud/Light Rain, 19 degrees, 14mph wind gusting 16mph
Netweather: Sunny Periods, 21 degrees, 16mph wind gusting 19mph
Accuweather: Few Clouds, 22 degrees, 20kmh wind
BBC: Sunny Intervals, 21 degrees, 12mph wind

6pm
Met Office: Light Showers, 20 degrees, 13mph wind gusting 24mph
XC Weather: Few Clouds, 18degrees, 15mph wind gusting 23mph
Netweather: Scattered Showers, 18 degrees, 16mph wind gusting 20mph
Accuweather: Few Clouds, 20 degrees, 24kmh wind
BBC: Light Shower, 20 degrees, 13mph wind

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

paullangford wrote:
st24 wrote:Typical, bloody Vulcan rabble turn up and ruin the last sacred decent airshow...

Yep....I'm gonna enjoy it :lol:

me too and my Vulcan rabble family, bought tickets ages ago as I thought the rabble would pack it out :lol: .

I think it's a lesson to everybody who leaves it to the last minute to get tickets for Vulcan shows this year, the rabble/ groupies and loys of airshow fans want to see it't last year so book early.
I already have my tickets for Headcorn and Lt Gransden, bought them ages ago, if it rains then I get wet, if I can't go last minute then the charity concerns still gets a donation. I thought I might have one unused today for my wife but fortunately she can make it after all but it wouldn't have been the end of the world if the money had just gone to SVAS. A very deserving organisation so I don't mind.
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Seafire is still at Old Warden.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Hope it's dry at Old Warden. Just started raining here at Duxford.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

st24

Post by st24 »

Vulcan opening show so place should be half empty by 2.15. That is if the vulcan heathen are even up by that time of course...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Blenheim at Duxford with engines running. And its started raining again.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Light is pants.

At f5.3 iso200 shutter speed to get an exposure is 1/125!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

And im the other side of the airfield from my camera and the Blenheim just turned up!

Post by 5944 »

Queue of traffic is back to the normal main entrance! Moving quite quickly though, took about 20 minutes to get in.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

WW1 and Edwardians Cancelled due to crosswind.

Provost now doing the poppy drop.

red_snow

Post by red_snow »

Have to say, a massive well done to Old Warden's team for their organisation of this event. Got in early, few minute queue and parked up. Got out again when everyone started to leave in
around 10-15min. Felt relaxed, vehicle parade was great, extra toilets which were well looked after, plenty of staff and a great display. Only one critism around the poppy drop. It was early during the 2 min silence..... and more of a quick lob of poppies vs a controlled drop.

HOWEVER.... a brilliant day, WELL DONE Old Warden, loved it.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

st24 wrote:Vulcan opening show so place should be half empty by 2.15. That is if the vulcan heathen are even up by that time of course...

you really are quite offensive with some of your comments, reel it in a bit please!

great show, well organised and shame about the weather though which grounded the oldies.
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

Tbolt wrote:I see this was at Old Warden yesterday, pitty she won't here displaying on Sunday,

Erm...

But anyway - What a show, and my first at OW this year. As busy as I've ever seen it, but well organised and traffic was well managed. Historic vehicles were given more prominence, parked in front of the hangars... WW1 tank replica... Lots of re-enactors... A fine "pilot's chat" given by Peter Holoway, who invited us all to cluster around his Storch while he waxed lyrical about it.

The first Vulcan pass was E P I C and the rest of its display was awesome too. I thought all the other displays were great too, but particularly the Blenheim, Hawker duo, and Seafire displays. Even the BBMF Spitfire gave us nice close topsides whizzing round the dog-leg.

I did not see any bad behaviour, no hordes of people leaving after Vulcan etc. A couple of light showers couldn't spoil the day. And leaving was no problem. Well done Shuttleworth!
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

County1884

Post by County1884 »

Really enjoyed OW today, I was a little worried about it being too busy but although it was busy it still didn't feel overcrowded.

The show was a bit strange in that I felt it didn't really flow as well as Shuttleworth normally does.

Vulcan was good considering it was such a good venue.

Chuffed to arrive and find SX336 was there but unusually for John Beattie it was a fairly poor display, too high and distant, Shame. :sad:

Star of the show was without doubt was John Romain in the Blenheim, Fantastic punchy display right up close, loads of great top sides, Top man lovely aircraft :yahoo:

Shame about the WW1 and Edwardians though.

Not Tim's finest hour today either, What was all that Mexican wave stuff about? Just Embarassing....
And by the way Tim there is another flying Gladiator down the road at

Getting out was surprisingly OK considering

Good day but looking forward to getting "my" Old Warden back on the 18th July :smile:

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

County1884 wrote:Really enjoyed OW today, I was a little worried about it being too busy but although it was busy it still didn't feel overcrowded.

The show was a bit strange in that I felt it didn't really flow as well as Shuttleworth normally does.

Vulcan was good considering it was such a good venue.

Chuffed to arrive and find SX336 was there but unusually for John Beattie it was a fairly poor display, too high and distant, Shame. :sad:

Star of the show was without doubt was John Romain in the Blenheim, Fantastic punchy display right up close, loads of great top sides, Top man lovely aircraft :yahoo:

Yes 336 display wasn't really an Old Warden display, which was a shame but nice to see her again and the Blenheim display was fantastic.

Well done to Shuttleworth for opening the gates 30 minutes early and getting the police involved in stopping traffic to get the show traffic out quickly :)

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Hatstand wrote:
Tbolt wrote:I see this was at Old Warden yesterday, pitty she won't here displaying on Sunday,

Erm...

Well it wasn't on website to display and facebook just said visting, but great to see her display, even if the crosswind nearly gave us a 'takeoff incident' :shock: