Military Pageant Sunday 5th July

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
paullangford

Re: Military Pageant Sunday 5th July

Post by paullangford »

st24 wrote:Vulcan opening show so place should be half empty by 2.15. That is if the vulcan heathen are even up by that time of course...

Who are you calling heathen ?
The paying public turning up today to see the Vulcan at OW ?
...........Or Vulcan supporters in general ?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Tbolt wrote:
Hatstand wrote:
Tbolt wrote:I see this was at Old Warden yesterday, pitty she won't here displaying on Sunday,

Erm...

Well it wasn't on website to display and facebook just said visting, but great to see her display, even if the crosswind nearly gave us a 'takeoff incident' :shock:

Yes have a nice shot of her popping a front wheel wheelie!

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

boff180 wrote:
Tbolt wrote:
Hatstand wrote:
Tbolt wrote:I see this was at Old Warden yesterday, pitty she won't here displaying on Sunday,

Erm...

Well it wasn't on website to display and facebook just said visting, but great to see her display, even if the crosswind nearly gave us a 'takeoff incident' :shock:

Yes have a nice shot of her popping a front wheel wheelie!

Yes hopefully I've got a reasonable one. The landing had a good number of bounces in as well :whistle:

JohnF

Post by JohnF »

Another great Sunday at OW. Excellent organisation - in and parked up by just after 8:30. No problems getting out once the Seafire had departed. Strange seeing OW that busy so early on in the day but should be a well deserved payday for them.

Star of the show was the Blenheim - superbly flown & a fantastic dispay. Nice that the sun decided to come out to play for the display as well.

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

Hatstand wrote:...A fine "pilot's chat" given by Peter Holoway, who invited us all to cluster around his Storch while he waxed lyrical about it.

Fully agree there - a real pleasure to listen to someone who presents well and really, really knows his stuff :clap:

Over all I thought it was a great show - Vulcan superb, lovely to see the Blenheim again, thought that the Anson was really good, and I didn't think the museum or airfield in general were over-crowded at all. No problems getting in, getting parked, or getting out again. Well done Old Warden.

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Hatstand wrote:

Erm...

A fine "pilot's chat" given by Peter Holoway, who invited us all to cluster around his Storch while he waxed lyrical about it.

Was that a sales pitch? ;)

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

Tbolt wrote:
Hatstand wrote:

Erm...

Well it wasn't on website to display and facebook just said visting, but great to see her display,

Exactly! Such an excellent surprise! I hadn't expected the Seafire to still be there, never mind do a display! It was a real treat for me, having never seen a Seafire flying before. If it was uncharacteristically "distant", it didn't matter to me! :-D
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

Tbolt wrote:Was that a sales pitch? ;)

LOL. "Half a million to you, guv. And I'll throw in a tank of fuel and the spares..."

He's a character.
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Hatstand wrote:
Tbolt wrote:
Hatstand wrote:

Erm...

Well it wasn't on website to display and facebook just said visting, but great to see her display,

Exactly! Such an excellent surprise! I hadn't expected the Seafire to still be there, never mind do a display! It was a real treat for me, having never seen a Seafire flying before. If it was uncharacteristically "distant", it didn't matter to me! :-D

A surprise indeed and when I saw they were putting it up with the Hurricane, even better, though unfortunately that was a rather 'loose' formation.

FTS

Post by FTS »

Tbolt wrote:
Hatstand wrote:
Tbolt wrote:
Hatstand wrote:

Erm...

A surprise indeed and when I saw they were putting it up with the Hurricane, even better, though unfortunately that was a rather 'loose' formation.

They were in formation?
facebook.com/shgpmedia
instagram.com/shgphotography86/
Youtube - SHGP Media

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

FTS wrote:
Tbolt wrote:

They were in formation?

loosely speaking :lol:
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

FTS wrote:
Tbolt wrote:
Hatstand wrote:
Tbolt wrote:
Hatstand wrote:

Erm...

They were in formation?

:lol:
Yes flying the same bearing at the same airfield ;)

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Thought the Vulcan was superb personally - not the noisiest display, but certainly punchy and well tailored to the venue. Top marks. Also enhanced by Richard's commentary I thought - let the aircraft do the talking, not too sentimental or twee and didn't sound like a sales push.

Seafire a lovely machine and wonderful bonus, but must admit I don't think I've ever seen it displayed in a particularly memorable fashion since it was first restored in 2006(?).

Hind and Demon were superb.

Blenheim was just wonderful though. Star item.

As with others on here, I had feared that a sold out Old Warden might have resembled the crowding at Gransden last year for the two Lancs, but really there were no issues at all - had plenty of space and there was ample room to roam with the camera and still grab the shots.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

The Blenheim was just outstanding, really was. I honestly wasn't expecting such a dynamic display from it, and coupled with the sun coming out in time for it, really was display of the day.

And go on, despite what I said...the Vulcan was impressive, so close!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Thought the Vulcan was superb personally - not the noisiest display, but certainly punchy and well tailored to the venue. Top marks. Also enhanced by Richard's commentary I thought - let the aircraft do the talking, not too sentimental or twee and didn't sound like a sales push.

Seafire a lovely machine and wonderful bonus, but must admit I don't think I've ever seen it displayed in a particularly memorable fashion since it was first restored in 2006(?).

Hind and Demon were superb.

Blenheim was just wonderful though. Star item.

As with others on here, I had feared that a sold out Old Warden might have resembled the crowding at Gransden last year for the two Lancs, but really there were no issues at all - had plenty of space and there was ample room to roam with the camera and still grab the shots.

Yes after we were told it was going to be a full power display, I thought maybe it was going to be a bit noisier, but still very impressive when the Vulcan flies the curve so close :)

alisdair

Post by alisdair »

Wissam24 wrote:The Blenheim was just outstanding, really was. I honestly wasn't expecting such a dynamic display from it, and coupled with the sun coming out in time for it, really was display of the day.

And go on, despite what I said...the Vulcan was impressive, so close!

Totally agree about the Blenheim... really enjoyable display; Vulcan up close was good, and the Storch was also very impressive again.

Cheers,
Alisdair

Weather Watcher

Post by Weather Watcher »

I agree - great show, very well organised, nice mix of other activities, most linked to the show theme, hope they made a shed load of money!

I wonder if over time they need to bring in some additional aircraft that can operate in higher wind speeds? With the Lysander out of action and their own Spitfire still under restoration the number of collection aircraft that can display when the wind gets up is quite limited.

Sunday showed that if you provide the right mix of attractions you can pull the customers in. Sea Vixen and some other early jets for a themed show next year?

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

I'd just like to say a huge thank you to all the organisers and staff on the day, for running an amazingly well organised event.

1) Clear signage and "SOLD OUT" signs on the way in to deter those that didn't have tickets.
2) Multiple lanes for ticket checking while still in your car.
3) Multiple car parking people showing you where to park.
4) Lots of extra loos
5) Opening up other exits when the traffic was slow moving upon leaving.
6) A really pleasant and relaxed atmosphere

The proof of the pudding for me was that the anticipated (for some) departure of half the audience after the Vulcan.....didn't happen. The vast majority of people stuck around and enjoyed the day, even after a couple of brief showers.
If I was on the committee for the Throckmorton Airshow....I'd hire some of the OW staff as consultants, they just get it right.

Thanks OW ! :worship:

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

Really enjoyed the show yesterday.

For me the highlight was the Blenheim - such a punchy display with lots of top side, helped of course by the sun coming out just in time!!

The Vulcan display was, I think, spot on for the place where it was displaying. A very smooth, measured display, without as much noise the commentator promised, but still very good - and that first pass...! I was also expecting the crowd to thin out a lot after the Vulcan had displayed, but credit to OW the rest of the show had them hooked, and the crowd wasn't much lower at the end than it was at the beginning of the show!

Getting in and out was for us, very good. The multiple entrance lines moved quickly, parked up nicely, and then on the way out held up very little. Woudl have liked to have stayed later, but with 4 other people in the car had to leave just after the Provost poppy drop.

Will definitely be making another return journey to Old Warden this year for another of their displays.

:clap: :clap:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Hatstand wrote:Lots of reenactors

The effect of the lady in 1940's clothing plus hair style was rather spoilt by the fact that both of her arms were absolutely covered in tatt-oo's! :sad:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo »

I liked the comment re Peter Teichman's Spitfire still having the same engine as the day it was built; Trigger's broom jumped to mind :biggrin:

Overall, a great but sedate airshow; very much a case of it will happen when it happens. In the car park by 0915, out by 1830, no massive delays either end of day.

Post by 5944 »

County1884 wrote:Really enjoyed OW today, I was a little worried about it being too busy but although it was busy it still didn't feel overcrowded.

The show was a bit strange in that I felt it didn't really flow as well as Shuttleworth normally does.

Vulcan was good considering it was such a good venue.

Chuffed to arrive and find SX336 was there but unusually for John Beattie it was a fairly poor display, too high and distant, Shame. :sad:

Star of the show was without doubt was John Romain in the Blenheim, Fantastic punchy display right up close, loads of great top sides, Top man lovely aircraft :yahoo:

Shame about the WW1 and Edwardians though.

Not Tim's finest hour today either, What was all that Mexican wave stuff about? Just Embarassing....
And by the way Tim there is another flying Gladiator down the road at

Getting out was surprisingly OK considering

Good day but looking forward to getting "my" Old Warden back on the 18th July :smile:

Exactly the same thoughts I had about the show. The commentary was pretty painful at times, and it would be nice to listen to the aircraft rather than hearing his voice as they fly past.

paul-m

Post by paul-m »

I thought I would just add my thoughts to the day, having had a wonderful time at the show and been truly thrilled by the Vulcan and Blenhiem. What a wonderful show, beautifully put together, full of interest and history. Even with the showers, the weather was generally so clement I remained at the front line all day, not retiring to my car once!

Its interesting to read the other comments, especially those disparaging elements of the show. It is interesting to note the lack of appreciation in some quarters for John Beattie's Seafire display. Is the author unaware of the recent history of that aircraft and that this was its first display after extensive repairs? Anyone who watched the take off would have been aware that the aircraft was a handfull to say the least in a crosswind, so I thought the display was safe and as exciting as it could have been given the pilot was still reacquainting himself with the aircraft and the weather conditions were not ideal for the type.

I must disagree with the comments about the commentary too, I thought it was excellent, the kind of relaxed, knowledgeable and anecdotal style that has become synonymous with Shuttleworth for me. I actually now prefer to attend the shows where Tim Calloway is commentating, as I found the LAA day rather grating and full of errors. The wave bit at the beginning of Sunday was something different, but a bit of fun to join in with I thought. I did pick up on the Gladiator comment it is true, that was wrong, but one mistake in four and a half hours of talking I thought was an exceptional effort under changing circumstances due to the weather. As to the gentleman who found it pretty painful, I am at a loss to understand why, I did not for a moment. Did you not notice that he stopped talking as the aircraft approached and began again as they flew away for the most part? I did, and appreciated it as a mark of the professional level I have come to expect of the majority of the commentators at Shuttleworth, Tim Calloway and George Ellis in particular, they do let the aeroplanes talk.

I also have to add that even though I have heard the Exhortation and Epitaph many times, perhaps too many as freinds have gone over the years, I have seldom heard them spoken with such conviction and passion. The effect had me in tears all over again, silly old fool that I am.

Anyway, a wonderful day, one I will remember for a long time.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Have to agree with Paul's comment about the commentary, I found it both appropriate and easy to listen to. The odd mistake here and there but otherwise a great accompaniment to the flying. Clearly a commentator with a great love of the venue and aircraft.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

J.Smith photography wrote:What time would people recommend arriving on Sunday in order to get a spot on the front row?
I know it says gates open at 9 on the Shuttleworth website, but what are the chances of them opening any earlier?
I know you don't need to be at the front at Shuttleworth, but I'd like to also get some take off/ landing shots, hence being at the front would be useful

Cheers,
James

do you ever take the time to thank people for the information they post in response to your request? it would be far less time consuming that it is for those posting the helpful information that you requested. It's only a small matter of courtesy.

BTW I trust the information that was provided so maybe we will see some photos in time.
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019