Photography Training Day - Tuesday 1st September

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
WG655
UKAR Staff

Photography Training Day - Tuesday 1st September

Post by WG655 »

A course looks to be being delivered by aviation photographer Darren Harbar at the Collection, focussing on DSLR techniques for beginners.

To teach attendees the basic camera skills required to photograph aircraft. The day will incorporate plenty of practical skills training, combined with a small amount of classroom tuition. The course will be run, promoted and managed by Shuttleworth with Darren Harbar Photography delivering the training.

The course is aimed at beginner photographers who wish to learn the basic controls of their camera. It is ideal for photographers who have a DSLR and are looking to get more creative and understand the use of shutter speeds and apertures. We do not discourage more competent enthusiasts from attending this course, but are advised we will cover some basic elements of camera settings.

It is essential that attendees own a DSLR camera with a removable lens. A large part of the course will be about using the cameras manual settings, so it is important you have a camera that allows you to change shutter speeds and apertures. The majority of the day will be about using a standard zoom lens, a longer zoom lens is not essential, but would be beneficial.

The course would feature a range of practical skills from static images, portrait photography (using a period dress re-enactor), through to moving subjects in the air. It will leave attendees fully primed to take on an airshow with their camera.

Please note this event is not suitable for children under 16.

Limited to 20 places, at a (rather high in my opinion) cost of £150 per head.

A full itinerary and further details can be found here: http://www.shuttleworth.org/events/photography_training_day/

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: Photography Training Day - Tuesday 1st September

Post by Wissam24 »

£150?! Pass! That's not "beginner photographer" price at all!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Same event being held at Duxford as well, first one this Saturday.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Petedcollins

Post by Petedcollins »

Overpriced and we don't have to go on one of his courses to learn how to apply a smurf filter on every photo lol

Pete

Exiler

Post by Exiler »

£150 for a 'photography' lesson!?!? Shocking...

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

One of the best places (and certainly the best that I found) for discovering the "basic camera skills required to photograph aircraft" is:

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/

:biggrin:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Are children under 16 unable to use a DSLR?

Are their hands too small to handle the equipment, their small undeveloped brains not able to hold all the information overload that will be heading their way, their attention span not great enough and be hypnotically drawn towards the spinning props?

Oh wait a minute, they haven't got enough pocket money saved up to pay the extortionate price! :dummy:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

jonny7

Post by jonny7 »

Before you know it, they will be moaning about the freeloaders learning about photography, from this web site.. :lol: :lol:
Don't say something crass, to hide your envy. Just give credit, when its applicable...

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Darren Harbar's stuff is really good, imo, but £150 is a lot of money...

Could be quite a cool, a relaxed photographer-themed day with Shuttleworth's excellent collection of aircraft. However, and I understand that costs have to be met somehow (a flying aircraft display, food, hours, period re-enactors, etc for just 20 or so people probably don't come cheap!), but that's too expensive for me.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

capercaillie wrote:Are children under 16 unable to use a DSLR?

Are their hands too small to handle the equipment, their small undeveloped brains not able to hold all the information overload that will be heading their way, their attention span not great enough and be hypnotically drawn towards the spinning props?

Now, now! Not all of us are as can be as knowledgeable, wise and *ahem* ancient as you :whistle:

:biggrin:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

capercaillie wrote:Are children under 16 unable to use a DSLR?

Oh wait a minute, they haven't got enough pocket money saved up to pay the extortionate price! :dummy:

when it comes to technology , the younger they are the more they understand it. If I can't work out one of the features on my smartphone my children always know the answer. As for the pocket money, well that's a different matter but there are an awful lot of 'Banks of Mum & Dad' out there.

As a footnote, as a SVAS member I suppose I could go along anyway to watch if they are doing some flying :lol:
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

StevenPJ

Post by StevenPJ »

Mmmmm. If anyone's expecting flying forget it. The cost of launching any a/c would exceed the take and Mr H isn't doing this for free. Also, in the context of Old Warden any flying organised for a group like that would constitute an air display and need to be covered by all the regulatory stuff, wiping out any profit. I'd also think twice about the night shoot. 50 toggies with tripods trying to jostle for images as an a/c is run up? And Mr H will have pole spot. Mmmmmmm

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

100+ togies with tripods at a Northolt Night Shoot, not a problem.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Private Custard

Post by Private Custard »

Tommy wrote:Darren Harbar's stuff is really good, imo

Darren Harbar's stuff is 'adequate'.

He's just very very good at pimping himself!

StevenPJ

Post by StevenPJ »

Private Custard, that's Ace! :biggrin:

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

You are all welcome to your opinions just remember that someone has a career in this and being offensive doesn't look good to anyone, I helped out for the publicity bits for the night shoot and am sure there will be plenty of time/space for everyone to get the shots they want. I don't know the format for the photography class but can't we just be happy that the collection is getting more exposure and some extra money in? I know some people have had/still having bad times but Mr Harbar has got the place better publicity than many people have managed over the years.

Steve Panter

These are my views and not to be confused with the views of any group

Quoted from the itinerary online http://www.shuttleworth.org/events/phot ... ining_day/

"15.00 – shoot of flying aircraft – the final practical session of the day will be the most challenging. During the classroom session in the morning, you will have been taught the skills required to capture a flying aircraft and now it’s the chance for you to give it a go. The aircraft* will be flown especially for the cameras with passes designed to help you learn the techniques required." *All aircraft appearance are subject to weather and aircraft serviceability"
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

Timc

Post by Timc »

At the end of the day if this course offers an introduction to aviation photography for the "beginner" so biet ?!

Somehow it's difficult to put a price on that and I'm sure Darren has thought long and hard about how to pitch it possibly?

Personally, wish him the best of luck.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Price-wise I wouldn't say this is over expensive, I recently paid £105 for a day's photography workshop with birds of prey and thought it was excellent value and I learn't some useful tips and look at my set ups quite differently now, I've had some good results since the workshop too both with BoP and aircraft so I consider it money well spent.
It probably takes far more time (and thereby staff costs) to set up aircraft than birds so i would expect this to be a higher price especially if (as it infers) there is flying of aircraft involved.

I'm even looking at other courses for either later this year or next as I enjoyed the day so much.
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019