Shuttleworth Uncovered 4 October 2015

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Orion

Re: Shuttleworth Uncovered 4 October 2015

Post by Orion »

Don't know where this concept of 'Vulcan Haters' came from, hate is such a strong word.

I've spent some time this weekend re-editing my film of the 2009 Shoreham show which I think was the last time I saw the Vulcan. It wasn't the last time I tried to see the Vulcan, but it always seemed to be pulled from a show at the slightest hint of inclement weather. I think I have stood a better chance of seeing the Shuttleworth's Edwardians than the Vulcan and much the same meteorological criteria seem to be applied to both. After a while I simply gave up and then grew to be particularly indifferent to whether it existed or not; there are other things in life!

Having said that I do resent the Vulcan enthusiasts commandeering this year's Shuttleworth Uncovered Show. I get the the impression from posts above that many, perhaps most of them, wouldn't normally visit Old Warden, that it's many delightful attractions leave them utterly cold.

Still it will soon be all over, the Vulcan to the skies saga will be ended after a huge amount of money spent. It has lasted only ten years and I can't help but wonder if that money would have been better used supporting other aviation heritage projects.

Regards

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Orion wrote:It has lasted only ten years and I can't help but wonder if that money would have been better used supporting other aviation heritage projects.

What money? Unless I'm mistaken, besides the HLF money, the rest of it was there because people have been willing to donate to this specific project. Had VTST not been a thing, it'd still be in their pockets, effectively. That's like claiming that money donated to saving Pandas would be better off curing cancer - it's up to an individual how they spend their money and without the Vulcan, it might not have ever found it's way to any good cause, let alone one in the aviation/airshow industry.

I don't understand the resentment either - I may well have criticised many of it's showings, and stand by it, but ultimately it is a fabulous machine and is always worth seeing. At Shuttleworth earlier this year, it was a star performer and hopefully next weekend will be an even better (and hopefully longer) performance to bow out on - as stated earlier in the thread, a later time slot would (weather permitting) afford us some glorious light and give the show a sense of anticipation.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Orange Lion

Post by Orange Lion »

Hello dear air-show passioned people stop the discussion please about the Vulcan ,
I'm from the Netherlands and I would like to say be happy that you life in a nation with some many historical aircraft where people are so devoted to aviation and preserve it for younger generations .!!! :clap:

This weekend I will make a journey to the UK for this great event , I have a immense respect for people that keep aviation history a life :clap:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sukhoi_airshow/
Last edited by Orange Lion on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Delighted I managed to secure a Ticket for this now thanks to a Kind gent on this Forum.

Ferry booked now. although I have been there many times before to shuttleworth seeing the Vulcan for definitely my last time at possibility the best Airshow location in the UK is going to be immense.

Looking forward to seeing the DH.88 as well. Last time I saw it was in 1988 in Farnborough. Not to mind the other Gems like the Edwardians plus 504K and Pup to boot!!! My oh my!!

Gonna Enjoy this one immensely, It should be extra special.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Vulcan2015

Post by Vulcan2015 »

With no ticket and the event sold out (quite happy to pay) does anyone have any tips for watching the show outside the airfield? Is it just as good?

Wanted one last chance to see the Vulcan.

I'd plan to get there by train so no issue regarding being parked illegally.

Thx!

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Not familiar with the local area around Old Warden, but someone on another forum mentioned "Ickwell Cricket Club" as being within close proximity. If they're allowing parking on their premises I couldn't say, but might be worth a finding out... :whistle:

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

This will be my first and only visit to Old Warden this year, mainly due to work commitments preventing other visits. Like most others I hope the Vulcan closes the main show before the Edwardian's hopefully get a peaceful autumn sky to fly in.
I personally feel that Shuttleworth shows have a magic that's not available elsewhere. I have over the last 5 years seen most of the current collection flying with the exception of the Southern Martlet and a few that are under restoration. If booking acts such a parachute teams and aerobatics displays gets people through the door then it's a great thing I reckon. Also booking the Vulcan on what will probably be its last public display is an inspired move to sell out a show, keep up the magic Shuttleworth team.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Really cannot understand the fact that people are so annoyed about the show successfully selling out and attracting XH558's last ever full display - even if its not your cup of tea its not something that will appear at the venue again so you needn't worry.

I seem to recall that when it last appeared in July; most of those in attendance stayed around after the Vulcan display and soaked up the unique Shuttleworth atmosphere. If this gives more people a flavour of what Old Warden is all about, and encourages just a small percentage of those to return in future years (who wouldn't do otherwise) then how is that a bad thing?

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

So if I become a SVAS member can I then purchase tickets for the show ??

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

I believe not, I understand it is only for those who were members when the show sold out, from their website:

Current SVAS members (as of 23 September 2015) tickets are still available to purchase over the telephone. Tickets will NOT be available on the gate.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

AARDVARK wrote:So if I become a SVAS member can I then purchase tickets for the show ??

Tried that and Failed
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Good grief that single adult ticket for this show sold for 159 quid :shock:
eBay full of people really desperate to see the show...

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

I just don't get this Vulcan thing,I mean is it such an issue to those who enjoy the Shuttleworth Collection??
If anything you should be honoured that this is her final public display EVER,and you get to witness a little piece of aviation history!!

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

I have a spare ticket for sale for this Sunday.

It is an electronic ticket, so no actual delivery will be needed, it can just be printed off

PM me an offer.

Dan

st24

Post by st24 »

UKTopgun wrote:Good grief that single adult ticket for this show sold for 159 quid :shock:
eBay full of people really desperate to see the show...

Or full of idiots with more money than sense... So for that one ticket, nearly 6 adults could have got in at on the day prices??... :confused:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Fox

Post by Fox »

Talldan76 wrote:I have a spare ticket for sale for this Sunday.

It is an electronic ticket, so no actual delivery will be needed, it can just be printed off

PM me an offer.

Dan

Just dropped a message to you Dan :)

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

Fox wrote:Just dropped a message to you Dan :)

Sorry, but the ticket has already gone - went within a few minutes of posting earlier on.

Dan

AMB

Post by AMB »

AARDVARK wrote:I just don't get this Vulcan thing,I mean is it such an issue to those who enjoy the Shuttleworth Collection??

Yeah, you've seen one Vulcan....you've seen 'em all! :ninja:
Adrian

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

This will be my first visit to Old Warden on a show day. Any advice on where to position myself during the display?

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Paul_Reflex wrote:This will be my first visit to Old Warden on a show day. Any advice on where to position myself during the display?

I like to be near the "dog leg" - towards the tower end of the display line, though they park the displaying aircraft right in front of you, which can be a pain if it's a biplane or high winged aircraft and you want to take photos, but at least you get to see things close up.

If you go up the other end they park the visiting aircraft there so they will be there all day though, though if you find a small aircraft you will have a better view. Of course it depends on the wind direction to which end will be best for take-off or landing shots, but if you want photos around the dog leg just stay in that area.

The cars are normally parked right behind the crowd line, and alot of people just sit next to their cars, but this being the uncovered show, they should have a lot of aircraft out on the grass so the parking will be further along (towards the east).

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Tbolt wrote:
Paul_Reflex wrote:This will be my first visit to Old Warden on a show day. Any advice on where to position myself during the display?

I like to be near the "dog leg" - towards the tower end of the display line, though they park the displaying aircraft right in front of you, which can be a pain if it's a biplane or high winged aircraft and you want to take photos, but at least you get to see things close up.

If you go up the other end they park the visiting aircraft there so they will be there all day though, though if you find a small aircraft you will have a better view. Of course it depends on the wind direction to which end will be best for take-off or landing shots, but if you want photos around the dog leg just stay in that area.

The cars are normally parked right behind the crowd line, and alot of people just sit next to their cars, but this being the uncovered show, they should have a lot of aircraft out on the grass so the parking will be further along (towards the east).

Thanks Tbolt, that's really helpful.

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

I'll be the first to say that (again) the weather doesn't look to be playing ball for Sunday... :sad:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Forecast has gone from sunny intervals to black cloud. Will probably go back before Sunday.

Forecasts don't mean anything!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

True...let's this isn't one of those times when they have got it right!!

would be nice to have a sunny show to finish the season!

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I'm an SVAS member and have a ticket, but my nephew has just told me that he would like to come with. Is there any point even phoning the SVAS for a ticket tomorrow?

Andy